Sign in to follow this  

bleeding brakes

For some reason I have the hardest time bleeding brakes. I wanted to put fresh brake fluid in my bike and now I cant get them to firm up. Theres obviously something wrong here. Im doing everything it says to in the manual. I have the cap off, im pumping the lever till bubbles stop coming out of the resivor. Then I squeeze the lever, open the valve, close the valve and release the lever. At first, some bubbles come out and then just fluid comes out and when it gets to a certain point it just stops. I cant get more fluid it come out and the lever is still spongy. Any tips someone can give me?

For some reason I have the hardest time bleeding brakes. I wanted to put fresh brake fluid in my bike and now I cant get them to firm up. Theres obviously something wrong here. Im doing everything it says to in the manual. I have the cap off, im pumping the lever till bubbles stop coming out of the resivor. Then I squeeze the lever, open the valve, close the valve and release the lever. At first, some bubbles come out and then just fluid comes out and when it gets to a certain point it just stops. I cant get more fluid it come out and the lever is still spongy. Any tips someone can give me?

go down to the local parts store and buy one of those metal oil cans. The one with the long skinny spout and a lever. You can unscrew the top and put in brake fluid. Then buy a piece of 1/4" inside diameter hose about a foot long. This will slide on the end of the oil can and onto the bleed nipple on the brake caliper. Then open the cover to the brake reservoir and crack open the bleed nipple. Slowly pump brake fluid backwards. You might want to cover your bike around the handlebar area and throw something on the floor because it can get messy. But just keep slowly pumping fluid backwards. Let it overflow the reservoir for a while. Then while your squeezing the oil can lever, tighten the nipple. Then just pump the brake and it should get nice and stiff. Occasionally I have to bleed it the normal way once.

go down to the local parts store and buy one of those metal oil cans. The one with the long skinny spout and a lever. You can unscrew the top and put in brake fluid. Then buy a piece of 1/4" inside diameter hose about a foot long. This will slide on the end of the oil can and onto the bleed nipple on the brake caliper. Then open the cover to the brake reservoir and crack open the bleed nipple. Slowly pump brake fluid backwards. You might want to cover your bike around the handlebar area and throw something on the floor because it can get messy. But just keep slowly pumping fluid backwards. Let it overflow the reservoir for a while. Then while your squeezing the oil can lever, tighten the nipple. Then just pump the brake and it should get nice and stiff. Occasionally I have to bleed it the normal way once.

I do the same thing with a big syringe.

Much easier to do it bottom up. I imagine

if you had 6 feet of the tubing and a small funnel

you could do the same thing beer bong style.

What about vacuum bleeding? Harbor Freight has a kit that I have used on my truck. Works great and took 10 min per wheel (on a pickup truck).

I was thinking about the syringe idea... would it also work using it to suck the fluid out? Or is it just better to fill it then use it to pump the fluid in?

I was thinking about the syringe idea... would it also work using it to suck the fluid out? Or is it just better to fill it then use it to pump the fluid in?

Just push it in backwards. The problem is, the air wants to go to the top. So backwards bleeding is the way to go because it's the direction the air naturally wants to go.