Sign in to follow this  

Setting bike up for an MX play day

Looking to hit an MX track for a day of fun. I realize I'll probably be the only DRZ there. Am looking to take as much extra weight off the bike to A) make it lighter and :p avoid replacing stuff I might break. Obvious choices are turn signals, rear foot pegs and mirrors but how much of a pain to remove the headlight, rear fender and anything else you can think of that would be worth removing for a 1 day ride?

The headlight comes off realitively easy, I'm pretty sure 4 bolts and 3 screws for the headlight mask and disconnect the light from the wire harness.

Tail light: you'll prob have to take the seat off then take the rear fender off then you'll be able to access the (stock?) license plate holder, brake light, and turnsignals their connectors should be easy to find.

Make sure you tape off all connectors that you disconnect so you don't get any dirt in them.

Passenger pegs: You have to have a exhaust bracket to replace the right side foot peg or you can not remove it. You can pick them up off of ebay for like 20 bucks or less.

Weight reductions without cutting things or adding a plastic oversized tank and filling it to only stock gas tank holding compacity. I can not think of anything else except the lights.

Might also want to zipty the kick stand up because with the saftey switch when the kickstand comes down a little bit from the force of a jump or woop the engine will cut off for a second (feels like a bog).

If I missed anything I hope someone else can pick up where i left off.

P.s. unless you have a DRZ-E its kind of hard to reduce weight without cutting things off.

Horn,fan,helmet lock,kickstand

Just curious why would you remove the fan, especially when he would be beatting the balls of his bike on an MX track? :p

It's a lost cause. Remove nothing, set up the syspension, ride and have fun. I rode mine on a small quad track in a guys yard a couple weeks ago and jumped a 20' gap. That was enough for me on that particular track.

Just curious why would you remove the fan, especially when he would be beatting the balls of his bike on an MX track? :p

The fan is for when you are going slow.MX bikes do not have a fan.

The fan is for when you are going slow.MX bikes do not have a fan.

oohhhhh ok didn't know that thanks man!

Might also want to zipty the kick stand up because with the saftey switch when the kickstand comes down a little bit from the force of a jump or woop the engine will cut off for a second (feels like a bog).

If I missed anything I hope someone else can pick up where i left off.

Just take the safety switches off. Better yet, take the sidestand off too.

- Take off lights, horn, safety switches, mirrors, helmet lock, passenger pegs, and rear fender crap. Consider the fan and sidestand.

- Swap to E subframe, plastic tank, and track gearing.

- If you have a pumper carb and lightweight exhaust just laying around...

Just take the safety switches off. Better yet, take the sidestand off too.

- Take off lights, horn, safety switches, mirrors, helmet lock, passenger pegs, and rear fender crap. Consider the fan and sidestand.

- Swap to E subframe, plastic tank, and track gearing.

- If you have a pumper carb and lightweight exhaust just laying around...

How can you run a E gas tank on a S or SM??

What all is needed?

I wouldn't take anything off, it's just going to be a huge pain to take it off and not really feel much of a difference. I could see breakable things but I wouldn't even bother, but that's just me! And I'm not sure why people have the urge to remove the fan for weight, the thing weighs like 2 ounces...

Don't for get the little bag of tools. IMHO, it's worth the trouble to remove the turn signals, and --->kickstand switch <---(permanently), but I don't know about the rest. If you haven't resprung the bike, you really should. It makes a world of difference. My stock levers bent up like butter, but I just crash tested my Zeta's Saturday and they passed with flying colors. Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Disable the kickstand switch or it could be dangerous, and just take off the headlight, mirrors and blinkers. From personal experience the headlight is pretty fragile and very expensive.

How can you run a E gas tank on a S or SM??

What all is needed?

It doesn't have to be an E tank. Just swap on a lighter plastic tank to shed some up-high weight and to avoid denting/scratching the stock metal S/SM tank. The mention of the E was just the subframe.

It doesn't have to be an E tank. Just swap on a lighter plastic tank to shed some up-high weight and to avoid denting/scratching the stock metal S/SM tank. The mention of the E was just the subframe.

Yeah but those aftermarket gas tanks are supppppppperrrrr ugly and bulky, can you mount an E tank on a SM or no?

Yeah but those aftermarket gas tanks are supppppppperrrrr ugly and bulky, can you mount an E tank on a SM or no?

only some are ugly & bulky. the clarke 3.9 comes to mind along with any safari tank.

yes you can mount an E tank on an SM. not a direct bolt on, but can be mounted easily IMO. IIRC, the fan won't fit.

to the op, i would remove the entire kickstand at a minimum. i wouldn't feel safe with one on a track. but then again i don't feel safe with one in the woods.

garage.php?do=viewattachment&attachmentid=62505

i would leave my bike as is for a track day. headlight & tailight don't weigh much. kickstand & other not needed stuff has been removed. turn signals aren't vulnerable.

ims 2.6(made for E model) on an S. prior this tank i ran an E model tank - it's available cheap if anyone wants one :)

if running on a track, bring a gas can & keep your fuel tank low to save a bit of high up weight.