Sign in to follow this  

i want to add another bike to the garage... opinions please

ive been contemplating buying a new bike..of course id keep the drz, its just way too much fun... but what do you guys recommend?

I definitely want a super sport. since ive never owned anything besides the drz i was wondering what your thoughts were on the newer bikes out... im thinking 07 or newer, so i can finance and have a warranty.

I think a 600 should be plenty of power for me and have my eyes on the new kawasaki ninja 600 or a suzuki gsxr600. I dont have any particular reason for these choices but have heard a few good things.

what would you guys buy if you were gonna add another bike to your garage? i really want some advice from you DRZ guys because ive gotten nothing but love from all of you since joining this forum.

If I was gonna buy a super sport again... It would have to be the ZX-10r... No other choice... 2004, 2005, 2008, 2009... I would avoid the 06,07... It's just not the same bike as the first and third generation...

In my opinion, it would be cool to have a 600, but you will soon feel the need for more...

Just my 2 cents...

Chet

Before you do anything,you might want to look into the price of insurance on a financed 600 ss....bet it will be a shocker.

My 05 busa and 03 ZX12 collected dust all winter,while i played on the DRZ.

Hey Chris,

Trust me on this one, if you have no sport bike experience, a 600 will be more than enough for you. I have been riding only sportbikes for over 19 years until I got my DRZ. 600's nowadays make WAY more power than they used to. Hell, some of them make more power than my CA model GSXR1100 when it was stock. You really can't go wrong with any of the 600's newer than 2007. Even older models are still good if you want to save some money.

Do yourself a favor, start on a 600. I can't even tell you how many destroyed GSXR1000's and R1 came in to the salvage yard I worked at. Most of them had under 1500 miles on them too. Might even be a good idea to look for an older F4 or an F4i, save yourself a bit of money, see if you like it, if you do, step up to an R6 or a 600RR.

Also keep in mind going from the SM to a sportbike will be a bit of a difference. I went from sportbikes to SM's, that is a bit safer, lol.

PM me if you want to drink some beers and talk about it more. It's getting warm out, and my backyard is almost ready for lounging in the water!

Ryan

What kind of riding will you be doing? Short shots to the twisties? Long roadies with much slabbing? 2 up? Bags and gear? Track days? Personally, I wouldn't fail to look at the Speed III, Street III, a Buell, the KTM SuperDuke or a 690 Duke, an SV1000, Monster, etc. If it's the right bike and maintained correctly with no mods or the right mods a used bike will save you much coin and be just as bulletproof as new. Spend coin on shiny bits.

If you're a A-B group track rider and that's high on your "can do" list for a new bike then by all means, get any new SS. Add some Heli-Bars and the right kit and you can go do it all in relative comfort. If you dump it it'll likely get totaled or you'll have to cobble it back together at $$$$$. Kinda why I like nakeds.

I ride a somewhat massaged Honda 919, a GSX-R600 (track only), and the DRZ with dirt and street shoes. Each has it's purpose and all three combined were less than a new liter bike.

ive been contemplating buying a new bike..of course id keep the drz, its just way too much fun... but what do you guys recommend?

I definitely want a super sport. since ive never owned anything besides the drz i was wondering what your thoughts were on the newer bikes out... im thinking 07 or newer, so i can finance and have a warranty.

I think a 600 should be plenty of power for me and have my eyes on the new kawasaki ninja 600 or a suzuki gsxr600. I dont have any particular reason for these choices but have heard a few good things.

what would you guys buy if you were gonna add another bike to your garage? i really want some advice from you DRZ guys because ive gotten nothing but love from all of you since joining this forum.

Before you even start thinking of getting a sportbike/crotch rocket, make sure you factor in your insurance payment along with your normal payment.

How much will it be for insurance for the bikes that you mentioned?

As for another bike that I'd consider getting to add my garage probably something you could do a little bit of touring(long distance capable) with it.

You already have the DR-Z for twisties and canyon carving.:p

Hey Chris,

Trust me on this one, if you have no sport bike experience, a 600 will be more than enough for you. I have been riding only sportbikes for over 19 years until I got my DRZ. 600's nowadays make WAY more power than they used to. Hell, some of them make more power than my CA model GSXR1100 when it was stock. You really can't go wrong with any of the 600's newer than 2007. Even older models are still good if you want to save some money.

Do yourself a favor, start on a 600. I can't even tell you how many destroyed GSXR1000's and R1 came in to the salvage yard I worked at. Most of them had under 1500 miles on them too. Might even be a good idea to look for an older F4 or an F4i, save yourself a bit of money, see if you like it, if you do, step up to an R6 or a 600RR.

Also keep in mind going from the SM to a sportbike will be a bit of a difference. I went from sportbikes to SM's, that is a bit safer, lol.

Ryan

+1 agreed

you are smart to start on a DRZ this experince will help you be fast on a sporter.

Triumph Speed Triple (1050cc) or Street Triple (naked 675)

i have a speed trip and looooove it.. my buddy has a street trip and its pretty hot secks also..... cant go wrong!

ive been contemplating buying a new bike..of course id keep the drz, its just way too much fun... but what do you guys recommend? I definitely want a super sport. since ive never owned anything besides the drz i was wondering what your thoughts were on the newer bikes out... im thinking 07 or newer, so i can finance and have a warranty. I think a 600 should be plenty of power for me and have my eyes on the new kawasaki ninja 600 or a suzuki gsxr600. I dont have any particular reason for these choices but have heard a few good things. what would you guys buy if you were gonna add another bike to your garage? i really want some advice from you DRZ guys because ive gotten nothing but love from all of you since joining this forum.

It really depends on how you plan to use the bike, and what you can afford to own/insure.

Many people like to track their sportbikes on the weekends. Some people like to stunt. Some people like to carve curvy roads. Some people like to tour.

I'd suggest the GSX-R750, instead of the 600, IF you want to track as well as ride street. It's got more low-end torque, so it's more forgiving if you're late getting on the throttle, and it pulls away from traffic trouble well even from low revs, without being absolutely nuts like the 1000. It's built on the same chassis as the 600, is similar weight, and even has a "detune" setting to make it a little mellower when you're getting used to the bike or just cruising.

If you're not going to track, I'd STRONGLY suggest finding a bike with more comfortable all-day ergos for you and a passenger though. My buddy's GF can't stand being on the back of his GSX-R750 for more than 30 minutes at a time. He can't stand being on it for more than 2 hours at a time. A trip out of town with them is pretty much out of the question until they get a different bike. He doesn't track, which makes me think he'd probably prefer a sport-touring 650 like the SV, or even an ADV-tourer DL.

Think about how you want to use the bike. Even a Ninja 250 can be fun.

I'd suggest the GSX-R750, instead of the 600, IF you want to track as well as ride street. It's got more low-end torque, so it's more forgiving if you're late getting on the throttle, and it pulls away from traffic trouble well even from low revs,

I know very little about sport bikes but don't they have ridiculously high top speeds? If so why not just gear one down?

Jbw

This is not an easy answer. If a sportbike floats your boat, then get the one you find dead sexy. They are all good and they are all fast. There is not real pile of crap on the market made by the Japanese. I say get a 600. Even if you are going to do track days. Its always easier to ride a slow bike fast, then a fast bike slow. You average 600 these days is putting out over 100 hp. You will be happy and kee your insurance lower.

But being out west you have some awesome roads and great long ride destinations. Maybe a sport touring bike might be more enjoyable. A bike you can ride 300 miles a day without stressing your body. Again there is no Japanese crap on that front either. I have always been a big standard fan. And a nice standard will handle fantastic and most likely have a slightly tuned down race motor in it.

Look around, and get what turns you on......

Hey Chris,

PM me if you want to drink some beers and talk about it more. It's getting warm out, and my backyard is almost ready for lounging in the water!

Ryan

whats up mister ryan...long time no talk...havent heard of any palomar trips lately, whats up with that! im gonna pm you mang

thanks for the advice, from you, and everyone else too....i feel my need for speed kicking in and want something to give me that rush... i dont really plan on using the bike for long trips, mostly just around san diego area to enjoy our beautiful weather and front row parking spots at the beach... ill keep the drz for the twistes and my hooligan riding.

ahhh insurance! funny how i never once even thought about how much it would cost..but everyone is right, that could make or brake my decision...

so how well do sport bikes hold there value? i know the drz does fairly well in that category, but im sure there are a few different makes and models that will hold there value, right???

ahhh insurance! funny how i never once even thought about how much it would cost..but everyone is right, that could make or brake my decision...

so how well do sport bikes hold there value? i know the drz does fairly well in that category, but im sure there are a few different makes and models that will hold there value, right???

Thas' waat eye sayed![/b]

What ^^he^^said?!!:p

Don't be surprised if your monthly insurance payment is substantially more than your moto payment in itself.:ride:

These things get stolen and laid down more often than you think, therefore insurance premiums are skyrocketing on dem. Atleast in "Dja-booty" insurance are outrageous for sportbikes.

I bought a K7 1000 Gsxr last year. Plenty fast and a blast to ride but nothing like the kick in the pants I get from the DRZ!

IMG_0532.jpg

I bought a K7 1000 Gsxr last year. Plenty fast and a blast to ride but nothing like the kick in the pants I get from the DRZ!

IMG_0532.jpg

thats one sexy gsxr :p

I know very little about sport bikes but don't they have ridiculously high top speeds? If so why not just gear one down?

Jbw

Good point. There are a few reasons though.

Bucking. Availability of sprockets. Chain wear. Long straights at the track. You'd still have to ride in a lower gear all the time, to keep revs up, which can be fatiguing, use more fuel, and cause more wear.

so how well do sport bikes hold there value?

It really depends on whether it's dumped, vandalized, stolen and trashed, modified in weird ways, etc. A new bike isn't an investment anyway. They almost always go down in value. Leave that to your stocks, real estate, bonds, etc.

Buy used carefully if you don't want to get hosed on depreciation. It's also the best way to get your feet wet until you're 100% sure what YOU want in a bike.