Sign in to follow this  

505sx VS 505xc???

i orig was gonna get a 505sx but reading on hear i now am totally confused what to do lol

those that have ridden both which do you feel is the better tranny the 4 speed on the sx or the 5speed on the xc??

it would mainly be for MX so that is my main concern but i do trail ride also. some say the 4 speed leaves gaps and your clutching it or shifting down then others say it is fine. some say the xc first gear is a wasted for mx. i am just confused what to do now

susp i will have revalved on either one anyway so not really a concern there.

if i get the xc i will prob get a 19 inch rear and maybe switch to a sx tank for the slimness and remove the kickstand, and at that point the two are very similar minus the different trannies

so from people who have rode both please lmk your thoughts which tranny you liked better and why

appreciate all the help and feedback you ktm guys have given me so far

i orig was looking at a 300 xc 2 stroke as well and have not totally ruled that out yet either but have found out i can get a 250sx 2st for alot cheaper so now that may be in the picture but the 505 is my main focus as i hear the motor is to die for!!!

thanks

H

I have owned both an 08 450 SXF and an 08 450 XCF and ridden both MX. I preferred the 4 spd on the track but by only a slight margin. I prefer the lighter weight as well, but as fat as I am these days it probably would not make any difference. I sold the SXF and kept the XCF b/c I like to ride trails too, but the XCF does great on the track too. With the four speed I could literally ride the entire track using only 2 gears sometimes. Ok, I'm fat and lazy too.... The XCF seems pretty heavy to me just putting it on the stand, heavier than the specs say. I say get the XCF if there is a chance that you will ever ride trails. Also, I would recommend that you seek out an 09 if possible for the updated suspension. This would necessitate getting the XCF as I dont believe the 505 SXF was made in 09. I have an 09 300 XC and the suspension is absolutely great without being revalved.

oh man thank you so much, you have every bike that i was looking at lol

why do you say the 505sx couldn't work in the trails?? is it bc the 1st gear is to tall??

also when you say seek out an 09 is that just bc of the susp or was there motor and chassis changes as well?? if it is just susp i don't care about that bc i am gonna have it revalved anyway so that isn't a concern. when i spoke to my susp tuner he said that he can get the 08 to work as good as the 09 without a problem but don't get a xcw bc it has the open style fork and that he can't get to work as good as the xc and sx style ones. so if there is no motor and chassis changes and just susp changes for 09 then i am not worried to much bc i can get a hell of a deal on some 08's

also how do you like your 300xc?? does it do ok on MX track or would it?? that is one i am considering too so i am not sure what to do here

the fact that you have or had the bikes i am looking at really helps me, thanks alot

H

I have owned both an 08 450 SXF and an 08 450 XCF and ridden both MX. I preferred the 4 spd on the track but by only a slight margin. I prefer the lighter weight as well, but as fat as I am these days it probably would not make any difference. I sold the SXF and kept the XCF b/c I like to ride trails too, but the XCF does great on the track too. With the four speed I could literally ride the entire track using only 2 gears sometimes. Ok, I'm fat and lazy too.... The XCF seems pretty heavy to me just putting it on the stand, heavier than the specs say. I say get the XCF if there is a chance that you will ever ride trails. Also, I would recommend that you seek out an 09 if possible for the updated suspension. This would necessitate getting the XCF as I dont believe the 505 SXF was made in 09. I have an 09 300 XC and the suspension is absolutely great without being revalved.

I rode my SX in the woods before I bought the XCF and it did fine. I put a 13 CS sprocket on it and it did just fine, but the top speed will be limited. I never even got into 4th when I rode it in the woods though. The only problem I had was that the suspension was too stiff or harsh. The weight diff is only supposed to be around 8 pounds but I seemed to notice it. The main diff in the 09 was the suspension. I love my 300 XC for the trails, it simply rocks like no other. I have ridden it mx but as long as I have a 450 I would take it any day for mx. I had to shift the 300 way too much and I'm lazy. The 450 I can ride in 2 maybe 3 gears on the track. The 300 is like a tractor in the woods and you can lug it like crazy. I suppose I could mx the 300 but I have the 450 and not likely to sell it due to the economy and all so I just use it. I shelled out mucho $ on the ohlins suspension and would lose too much if I sold it.

I was seriously thinking of updating to a XCF just for the tranny. But my dealer being the kind soul that he is hauled the '09 505XCF out to the track so I could ride it back to back with my '08 505SXF.

I am keeping my four speed SXF. There was not enough difference to warrant the change. On the XCF I still didn't use first, and I actually liked the spread better on the SXF for the gears that I did use (even for off-road racing).

The suspension on the '09 was better than my '08 when it was stock. But since that never lasts, to me suspension is the least important thing to me when purchasing a bike. I always have it revalved and sprung for my above average size.

I agree with Eastreich on the trans, I prefer the close ratio SXF to the XCF I had before.

couldn't agree more the susp is the last of my worries

I was seriously thinking of updating to a XCF just for the tranny. But my dealer being the kind soul that he is hauled the '09 505XCF out to the track so I could ride it back to back with my '08 505SXF.

I am keeping my four speed SXF. There was not enough difference to warrant the change. On the XCF I still didn't use first, and I actually liked the spread better on the SXF for the gears that I did use (even for off-road racing).

The suspension on the '09 was better than my '08 when it was stock. But since that never lasts, to me suspension is the least important thing to me when purchasing a bike. I always have it revalved and sprung for my above average size.

so you were saying you prefer the 450 over the 300 for MX??

also what ohlins set up do you have?? i have it in my honda and love it and was considering it for my ktm so lmk if you would sell it and what you would want for it. you can pm me

thanks for all the help

I rode my SX in the woods before I bought the XCF and it did fine. I put a 13 CS sprocket on it and it did just fine, but the top speed will be limited. I never even got into 4th when I rode it in the woods though. The only problem I had was that the suspension was too stiff or harsh. The weight diff is only supposed to be around 8 pounds but I seemed to notice it. The main diff in the 09 was the suspension. I love my 300 XC for the trails, it simply rocks like no other. I have ridden it mx but as long as I have a 450 I would take it any day for mx. I had to shift the 300 way too much and I'm lazy. The 450 I can ride in 2 maybe 3 gears on the track. The 300 is like a tractor in the woods and you can lug it like crazy. I suppose I could mx the 300 but I have the 450 and not likely to sell it due to the economy and all so I just use it. I shelled out mucho $ on the ohlins suspension and would lose too much if I sold it.

Yeah, definately prefer the 450 over the 300 for mx. The 2t requires a lot more shifting. The light weight is great but I just prefer the 4t on the track. The ohlins I have on the XCF is the TTX front and rear.

Hey Eastreich, did you mention you run lights on your 505sx ??

Only when I ride in the dark!! Then I run my 505 SXF with lots of light. This is the first "prototype" for my double HID setup. I am reconfiguring the light positioning (light frame, light location, mounting system to bike) for better pattern and weight balance.

Feb1prelim3.jpg

lmk if you will part with the TTX set up. you mentioned selling it and i know it works awesome correct??

Yeah, definately prefer the 450 over the 300 for mx. The 2t requires a lot more shifting. The light weight is great but I just prefer the 4t on the track. The ohlins I have on the XCF is the TTX front and rear.

Only when I ride in the dark!! Then I run my 505 SXF with lots of light. This is the first "prototype" for my double HID setup. I am reconfiguring the light positioning (light frame, light location, mounting system to bike) for better pattern and weight balance.

Feb1prelim3.jpg

Is that a bolt on headlight frame or did you modify to fit your bike?? I like that mount and will be looking for something like that.

Is that a bolt on headlight frame or did you modify to fit your bike?? I like that mount and will be looking for something like that.

The light frame and light is the standard 8" Eclipse HID racelight from Trail Tech (it is a rebadged Hella light).

I am going to be fabricating a new frame for a more permanent (and better balanced) location for the 4" HID that I currently have sitting on top. I am moving the 4" light to a location under the 8".

• Like 1

i just changed the rear sprocket on my 08 505 sxf to a 50 instead of a 48, it works great for me, i only ride trails, and lots of snotty hills the bike maxes out at about 120kmph, but to that speed is pretty quick. i dont think would like to go quicker than that in the bush