Which TTR for My Wife?

My wife's birthday is coming up in a few weeks and I want to get her a first motorcycle. She is a complete newb but has some interest in learning.

She is rather petite and short (barely 5ft). For a while I was leaning towards the ttr125LE but not sure if I should get the "L" version given her small size. Perhaps just the ttr125E? Electric start is a must. I'm also considering the ttr110 but don't know if it's too small. I want a good learning bike for her and I'm thinking a clutchless tranny maybe the ticket. I have a 6-year old she could always hand-off too if she outgrows it.

Any thoughts?

Take her to the shop and sit on a few. We did this with my wife, including having her pick them up from a dropped position. Finally we had her start each one. In the end she chose a TTR125L, no e-start. Give her the ability to choose, but discuss each option with her.

Get her a picture of one for her b-day and then have her go sit on them to make sure you get the right one. The surprise factor is cool but not at the cost of buying the wrong bike. I was looking at the TTR 125 for my wife also (she is 5'5") but when we went to look at the dealership she actually said the 230 was comfortable. This was good news to me because I didn't want her to grow out of it in 6 months. Also buying used will save her from beating up a brand new bike while learning, and save you some coin, I got my wifes '05 for $1400.

+1 on the 5'2" spouse. We bought the small wheel (E), then she moved to the LE.

Test fit at a dealer to make sure she's comfortable with the final decision.

There some good deals on old stock at dealers, but I'm buying from Graigs List these days

I have a 125LE I'm 5'3 ish I would recommend having her sit on bikes and see which one she is most comfortable on. Plus I've got a dead battery so I kick start it a lot and it's not hard at all. The E has extra weight if you don't really need the electric start.

If she can tip toe the LE at all that's the one you want. She would probably be fine kicking over an L (my 5' 2" wife kicks hers fine) but if you're worried at all having her with an electric start bike will give you a lot more riding time. As the man of the house we sometimes spend way too much time making sure everyone else has a good time. The best thing I ever did for my riding was get my son a bike with a starter.

My wife is a "claimed" 5-2 (damn short people and their concern about a number:rolleyes:), and rides a TTR125L with the YZ forks under it (more height) and tall bars (even more). This was her first bike, and she handles it beautifully.

The downside of the non-L version, is when she gets some confidence built up and starts complaining about the weak forks, it's going to cost an arm and a leg if you try to do the YZ 85 conversion.

If she can tip toe the LE at all that's the one you want. She would probably be fine kicking over an L (my 5' 2" wife kicks hers fine) but if you're worried at all having her with an electric start bike will give you a lot more riding time. As the man of the house we sometimes spend way too much time making sure everyone else has a good time. The best thing I ever did for my riding was get my son a bike with a starter.

ive never been a fan of e starts trail bikes .......but if you ride with wife and small kids, you are totally right about having to spend more time starting others bikes, than time riding. e start is def. the way to go when riding with ones who lug out often and have trouble starting their bikes.

Thanks for the replies and advice guys. I'm still kinda torn what I'm going to get her. She hinted that she doesn't want a bike and would much prefer a quad.

On one hand, I want to encourage her to get into bikes but she is really uncoordinated. I've seen her ride a regular bicycle and it wasn't pretty. I rented her a quad a while back and she had a blast. It had an auto-clutch which made things much easier for her.

I'm afraid if I get her the TTR she will never really get into it and it will end up being wasted money and frustrating for both of us. At the same time if I go with a quad that has an auto clutch, maybe that will at least help get here used to shifting, etc. and maybe try transitioning to bikes in the future.

Thanks for the replies and advice guys. I'm still kinda torn what I'm going to get her. She hinted that she doesn't want a bike and would much prefer a quad.

On one hand, I want to encourage her to get into bikes but she is really uncoordinated. I've seen her ride a regular bicycle and it wasn't pretty. I rented her a quad a while back and she had a blast. It had an auto-clutch which made things much easier for her.

I'm afraid if I get her the TTR she will never really get into it and it will end up being wasted money and frustrating for both of us. At the same time if I go with a quad that has an auto clutch, maybe that will at least help get here used to shifting, etc. and maybe try transitioning to bikes in the future.

I can see your reasoning, and if that's what it takes to get her riding, we'll overlook the whole "quad" thing.?

You could look into the Rekluse, but now you're talking some serious $$$$

If we want our other halves to come out with us we have to make it fun for them.

Far better to have her out there with you, on the quad, than to have her TTR parked in the garage unused as she sits inside.

Get her used to the whole throttle on dirt thing on the quad and that may lead to two wheels down the road.

There are fun locations that may not allow quads, or single track that isn't wide enough...

The wife almost lost her butt off the side of a hill on a quad - it was no problem for the bike. She still had fun, but doesn't want to ride the quad on the trails. Watch the trails you take her on if you're trying to sell her the idea of the bike later on.

I'm one of the people that can't walk and chew bubble gum, but see the bike is the way to go.

-Kerry

Too bad you don't live in Florida. I'd let you guys borrow our TTR125l and see if she would enjoy it. Maybe one of our California members will step up...

My experiences and observations about quads vs bikes are that when you crash on a bike most of the time you go one way and the bike goes the other. On a quad you both roll the same direction. I wouldn't let my son have a quad when he asked for one because I don't think they're safe. I know safe is a relative term, but you just have to go with your gut. My gut was on a motorcycle.

My wife is 5'1" and 52 years old and I got her the 110. The 125E was a little better in size, but I didn't want her to worry about using a clutch. This is her 1st bike ever and she loves it. It is very easy for her to ride. When she feels she has outgrows it, I will get her a 125E and save the 110 for when we get grandkids.