Sign in to follow this  

Getting a 04 650R

This weekend I am getting one!

I'm brand new to tt and have never owned a pig

After researching them for a little I was hooked!!!

It's comming with a Clarke tank, uncorked, Scott stablizer, and is CA plated!!!(best part)

What to expect??

Longer arms when you twist the throttle and it takes off like a rocket!:p

1. Watch the kick starter bolt. It loosens up and can fall out. An easy fix is to add a large washer then I used a star lock washer, and it seems to stay tight.

2. I broke a bolt on the foot peg bracket on the same side. The forward most bolt. In removing it, I killed some of the threads. I ended up boring out the hole all the way through the frame, and I replaced that bolt with a longer, grade 8 bolt and lock-washer/nut on the inside of the frame. The rear bolt I replaced with a grade 8 as well. And finally, I bought the Scott Summer's foot peg fix kit.

3. Check your thermostat. If it's stuck open, buy the replacement one from xrsonly.com, or you can use the cheaper auto part fix on www.xr650r.us. I also have a 1.6 bar radiator cap as opposed to the stock 1.1 bar.

4. Check your valve adjustment a lot. My '03 is apart at the moment getting the head re-done. I checked valve clearance a lot, so my issues is just simply from 12,000 hard ridden miles.

1. Watch the kick starter bolt. It loosens up and can fall out. An easy fix is to add a large washer then I used a star lock washer, and it seems to stay tight.

2. I broke a bolt on the foot peg bracket on the same side. The forward most bolt. In removing it, I killed some of the threads. I ended up boring out the hole all the way through the frame, and I replaced that bolt with a longer, grade 8 bolt and lock-washer/nut on the inside of the frame. The rear bolt I replaced with a grade 8 as well. And finally, I bought the Scott Summer's foot peg fix kit.

3. Check your thermostat. If it's stuck open, buy the replacement one from xrsonly.com, or you can use the cheaper auto part fix on www.xr650r.us. I also have a 1.6 bar radiator cap as opposed to the stock 1.1 bar.

4. Check your valve adjustment a lot. My '03 is apart at the moment getting the head re-done. I checked valve clearance a lot, so my issues is just simply from 12,000 hard ridden miles.

Thanks for all the info!! I know what you mean by little fixes going along way... I can wait for this baby!:)