Sign in to follow this  

2001 XR80R SM pics

01 XR80R with an 05 CRF100 bottom end, Takegawa 115 cylinder and piston, Takegawa super head, Takegawa cam chain, Kitaco Hi Flow oil pump, Mukini VM26 (26mm carb), KLX110 intake boot and throttle cable for VM26, Yosh Tri oval exhaust, and a Mikuni air filter. All rollin on 2.15 cyclone rims and tt92s (Slicks should be here next week)

Still need to have the break lever welded back on and install my catch can but she is pretty much done till I find out if the stroker crank is really going to help me.

DSC01126.jpg

DSC01127.jpg

DSC01128.jpg

DSC01129.jpg

DSC01130.jpg

This is how close the new carb is to the frame. I had to cut off one of the tabs that is used to hold back the electrical and clutch lines so the choke rod would fit and actually function. I still have to push in on the carb so I can use the choke but other then that it works. I am going to have to get creative with the drain lines from the carb as they sit almost on top of the exhaust pipe.

DSC01131.jpg

• Like 1

That things bad ass!! How was it jetting that VM26? A 26mm Carb seems pretty big to me for a 115cc but it probably rips up top huh?

Sweet build!!!

The only thing I am not happy with is my lack of a kick starter now. The new pegs get in the way so I just completely removed the kick start gear and put a freeze plug in the hole.

As far as the carb goes, the vm26 was the best choice for a few reasons.

1.) Everybody was talking about running 26mm keihins on the 120 bbk's and them not having the low end they wanted but having crazy top end so they went to 24mm. I figured yeah its a 115cc but it has the super head so its going to flow more air so a 24mm might be great low but have even less top end then the guys with the 120 kits. The tracks I run on are one extreme to the other. One is tight and small and the other is big and long and its a HP battle there more then anything. I figure I can get it down for the other tracks to make up the difference.

2.) I am planning on adding the stroker crank to the mix real soon and a 24mm is just not enough. Takegawa has a 28mm kit that is designed for the 124 super head kit. So even if the 26mm robs me of some top end at least I will have a bike that I can ride without dumping even more money on a larger carb till I can get the funds for it.

3.) Nobody has used this setup before and I like the idea of being the first but I also see why its expensive to be the first. You have to buy things and hope they work and when they dont you have to buy more things.

I would put some headerwrap on the exhaust or fab up a heat shield by the carb. With it being that close, it may actually affect the way the bike runs if it starts heating the gas in the float bowl. I use it on my conversion because the exhaust runs very close to the rear brake reservoir. I know a lot of po mxer's use those carbon fiber guards as well.

• Like 1

There just cyclone 2.15x12. I forgot where I got them but just do a search on google.

looks awesome, may i suggest a SM front fender it looks a bit goofy with the stock one and those small tires, also it may cut down on the wind resistance:thumbsup:

thats sick, i was thinking about doing that to my old xr100. they make good sm bikes

01 XR80R with an 05 CRF100 bottom end, Takegawa 115 cylinder and piston, Takegawa super head, Takegawa cam chain, Kitaco Hi Flow oil pump, Mukini VM26 (26mm carb), KLX110 intake boot and throttle cable for VM26, Yosh Tri oval exhaust, and a Mikuni air filter. All rollin on 2.15 cyclone rims and tt92s (Slicks should be here next week)

Still need to have the break lever welded back on and install my catch can but she is pretty much done till I find out if the stroker crank is really going to help me.

DSC01126.jpg

DSC01127.jpg

DSC01128.jpg

DSC01129.jpg

DSC01130.jpg

This is how close the new carb is to the frame. I had to cut off one of the tabs that is used to hold back the electrical and clutch lines so the choke rod would fit and actually function. I still have to push in on the carb so I can use the choke but other then that it works. I am going to have to get creative with the drain lines from the carb as they sit almost on top of the exhaust pipe.

DSC01131.jpg

bad arsh!:thumbsup: bet its a blast

UPDATE: Bike it still running a bit rough due to some carb issues but I just hired a pro engine builder to work his magic on the carb. I have been running it at the track against my buddies highly modified 134cc klx and it runs him down in the straights. I am fatter than he is to. He litterally has every mod you can have on it and mine is faster. Its pretty awesome. I am looking to pick up a works shock soon and do a disc brake conversion on the front.