Sign in to follow this  

Hydraulic clutch Oops!

Just thought I would share a bit of a mistake I made this winter.

I changed the hydraulic clutch line on my 08 300 XC-W to an EE line as the EE line gave me more clearance for my handguards and allowed me to shorten the bars a bit.

Well.

I screwed up.

For whatever reason I had Magura on the brain.

Can you see where this is going...Its not good.

I totaly screwed my clutch up. Magura blood in a Brembo hydraulic clutch system does not agree. Everything swelled up.

Scratch:

1 new clutch line

1 master cylinder cover gasket

1 master cylinder piston

1 slave cylinder o-ring.

That costed me about $100. If only I would of read the bloody cover on the master cylinder :p

Brake fluid..... who knew :moon:

Oh well live and learn :moon:

So there ya go. Learn from my mistake and DONT put Magura fluid in your Brembo clutch system. You have been warned :ride:

i am glad i saw your posting. I was going to post the same issue as a questio. I have a 2008 xc 505. I added the same fluid after i was told by the service guy at KTM. There went my clutch one day into my desert ride. Problem is i cant find the master cylinder parts. did you re buy the whole system?

My dealer sold me just the parts I needed. He actually took a new master cylinder apart to get the piston out for me as he didn't have one in stock.

You can get just the piston. You dont need to get an entire master cylinder. If your dealer is telling you elsewise look somewhere else. Its out there.

my 03 for sure does not say dot 3, 4 brake fluid, i am almost positive its a hydrolic clutch and its magurna oil.. lol...

it says on the top of the clutch res what goes in there..

My 08 ktm 300 xc-w and probably other 08's take brake fluid NOT magura fluid.

The clutch on my 08 is a Brembo NOT magura. Brembo clutchs take brake fluid. Magura takes magura fluid. The 2 fluids do NOT interchange.