Sign in to follow this  

Holes in my boots

Got a WR 450 that I have given up on the estart. After a few rides I've got a hole in the sole of my boot from kicking the thing. Once the hole is there the kick starter lever will find it and bring pain to the foot. I'm on my 3rd sole for this boot.

Anyone have any mods to the kick starter or boot to fix this problem?

thanks,

buff

thats crazy. I usually kick start my CRF/X and my sole isnt worn through at all.

What kind of boots.

I would say its probably a problem with your boots first. M buddy had this problem with his fox boots but as soon as he went to tech 8's he never had it happen again

Try kicking with the ball of your foot instead of the arch. If your kicker has any sharp edges on it, it may cut into your boots. I took a file to mine to smooth out the end. If you continue to have problems, get new boots.

I had the same problem with some thor quadrant boots. I bought the insole piece that is replaceable from alpinestar (the rubber is harder and stronger)and went to the hardware store and bought some screws to mount it. I got some shoe goo to place on the insert then I put the screws in. Wait...If I remember right the alpinestar insole may come with some glue. Make sure you get the right length of screw so it doesn't go too deep in the sole. It is an ugly fix but worked long enough to not waste the boot . Some cheaper shoes just don't have quality rubber on the shoes but it is a waste to get rid of the boots so quickly. If you get some alpinestars or gaerne you wont have that problem. Alpinestars have some intermediate priced boots that wont cost you an arm and a leg . Check alpinestar or parts unlimited,motosport.com or your local shop to find the sole insert. I hope this helps.:)

i did the same thing on a pair of tech 6's i had. i went through 3 soles before i just bought SG-10's

start the bike barefoot! then put your boots on skin grows back:p

invest in some better boots bud

Thanks guys,

The replacement soles I used were from Fly Racing and it does seem that is what the problem is. I have tried to kick start with the ball of my foot but when it's muddy or just wet my foot slips right to the arch where the hole is and the end of the starter goes into the boot. Hurts. The mud and water that come in is not pleasant either.

Thanks Hawaiidirtrider. I will try some other soles, I hate to scrap the whole boot even though they are crap.

thanks,

buff

Wow...I've never heared of going through boots like that. Time to invest in some SG-12's if you ride that much. You end up spending the cash on the cheap boots anyway. :)

thats crazy. I usually kick start my CRF/X and my sole isnt worn through at all.

What kind of boots.

Just wondering. why would you kick start it??? I love my e-start but i love kicking just to harrass my friends because it starts up first kick :)

i did the same thing on a pair of tech 6's i had. i went through 3 soles before i just bought SG-10's

Really? I've had my tech 6's since last year with a kickstart 250F, and the soles are fine!

I don't do too much kickstarting, so this may not work, but why don't you try wrapping and securing some old tube rubber or something around the end of the kickstart? The tube rubber would get worn through as opposed to your sole, and the contact surface would increase so it wouldn't hit the same part of your boot all the time.

Just a thought.

They are Fly Racing Vipers. Only 100 dollar boots but it would be nice without the hole.

buff

OK so you bought cheep boots and you put a hole in them and you complaining cause.... you need to stop stalling. :)

I dunno to me a sole is a sole, cheep or expensive my preference is the Gearne SG 10's but if you going through sole like that on FLY's (who's soles are something like PVC piping) SG's are going to work out pricey.

Must be honest first time I've ever heard of something like this. Besides in the old days (not that long ago) duct tape could fix anything...

I once had a 1986 XL600 that was so hard to start I put a hole in my hiking boots from kicking it. Then I got smart and started keeping it in my living room on cold nights and that helped alot....Those were the days!