Sign in to follow this  

Does Rider weight affect compression and rebound?

I am tired of my DRZ being harsh on the bumpy roads and was thinking of loosening up the suspension. The PO had it set up by Factory Connection, but he obviously weighs more since I am only 120 lbs and the rear spring is to stiff to begin with. I dont feel like putting the money out for a different spring. Then I got to wondering if weight has an affect on the compression and dampening and whether the PO has it dialed in where it should be and weight doesnt matter. Or im i just screwed until I get the proper spring in the rear? Or would loosening the compression help? Ideas anyone?

start off by backing all the comp. setting to full soft.and rebound too.give it a try over different terrain.if your still getting beat,back off the spring preload on the shock. at 120 lbs. the stock springs are probably to stiff,depending on how agressive you ride.

I am tired of my DRZ being harsh on the bumpy roads and was thinking of loosening up the suspension. The PO had it set up by Factory Connection, but he obviously weighs more since I am only 120 lbs and the rear spring is to stiff to begin with. I dont feel like putting the money out for a different spring. Then I got to wondering if weight has an affect on the compression and dampening and whether the PO has it dialed in where it should be and weight doesnt matter. Or im i just screwed until I get the proper spring in the rear? Or would loosening the compression help? Ideas anyone?

The stock spring rates (not well balanced) are all ready to stiff for your weight. If the p.o. was a big guy and had the forks/shock re sprung/valved for his higher weight,no amount of clicker turning will make the suspension work well at your weight.

"if your still getting beat,back off the spring preload on the shock."

I have already loosened the spring preload almost all the way loose. I'm aware that it wont be perfect unless I get a different spring, but I am hoping that loosening the compression will help some. I dont think the PO was really heavy, just avg weight. Does anyone thinking loosening everything up all the way will make it bottom out and ride like crap? It's like I need to buy an 80CC bike or something or buy a 400 and change up all the suspension. :p

just went out and loosened it all up...the front compression screws only turned another quarter turn, so they were already set way loose:foul: Also check that sping rates on the stickers and on racetech's page and all the springs are too heavy for me and the fronts are heavier the stock. the stocks were 0.01 kg/mm heavier then whats recommended for me. Anyone want to trade some stock springs for some 0.48 kg/mm springs?

Anyone know how many lines there are for the fork preload adjusters? Mine are on 3, but i cant loosen them up all the way as the PO raised the tubes up to lower the bike and the adjusters hit the handlebar at 3 lines. I'm prob going to lower the tubes back downs to stock.

Do you have any information on the suspension work,spring rates/suggested settings ?

I know you don't want to hear this,but.....the right spring rates for your weight and setting the correct sag is what needs to be done.

I am 40 lb heavier (160) then you,and i quickly swapped my s rear spring for a softer e spring. I could probably use .46 front springs.....But it's so nice and plush in the tight stuff,i may just leave it alone.