Sign in to follow this  

Re Skin a Door or not

Welp, i was jackassing around and managed to put a dent in my trucks door with a snowbank. My question is should i get my door reskinned and how much would it cost. or if i should try to find a door from the junkyard and get it painted. Any opinions??

Truck's a 01 1500HD. Front Drivers Door is damaged

pictures would really help .

have you tried just pushing the dent out ? if it was a big soft object you hit you can usually just hit it out .

i would try everything else before you replace the door with another one. you will go crazy trying to stop wind noise.

I haven't heard of anyone reskinning a door (unless we're talking OLD stuff where parts are impossible to find) for years.

Call a PDR (paintless dent removal) guy. I had a few decent size dents in my 06 and for $120, I can't even tell they were there. All the dealerships use these guys, and they really do a great job.

I haven't heard of anyone reskinning a door (unless we're talking OLD stuff where parts are impossible to find) for years.

^^^ what he said

doubt you will find anyone outside of a high end hotrod shop to skin the door, if a non old skool body man offers to do it I believe you will be sad.

get one from a bone yard. :p

I stopped at 2 different body shops yesterday and they both said that the door had to be reskinned, tomorrow i might have to check out the rest of the repair places around and get quotes. I might just try to pop the dent outfor mow, wouldn't i just need to pull the door panel off and use a deadblow... i guess i can't make it much worse.

the dent spans the whole bottom of the door and comes up to about where the trim goes on the door

DSC00264.jpg

no dent in the pic, i'm just trying to give you an idea of the size of it

if you're going to try it yourself (your description, it sounds like it wouldn't hurt), use a soft mallet and try to hammer it out after removing the inner panel.

Good people can do amazing things with metal, a mallet and spoons (anvils on sticks).

Not so good people can do amazing things with patch panels and a welder.

Lousy people can do pretty incredible things with bondo, until the bondo falls out.

Reskinning a door? Last resort, IMHO. It can be done and it can be done flawlessly. It can be done pretty well by the hobbyist (from what I've seen, but then again people who don't do a great job probably blame the PO). I wouldn't try it on anything newer than 1960 unless the outer panel has rusted beyond repair and there's no way to get it repaired in another fashion.

A new door from a salvage yard is gonna run several hundred dollars, trying to get one to match paint wise will be time consuming.

I got the dent almost all the way out as to where it's not noticeable unless you're looking for it. It's tolerable now til i can find a good deal on a new door, thanks guys

remember that for the future, those two shops are probably not as skilled as they'd let you think, but they sure can charge you!