Sign in to follow this  

KTM Descion Time-need some local help

Been thinking about selling the 450 and going with something different.

I have been looking at the new 09's 200, 250 and 300 2T's.

Actually so is a riding partner of mine.

I know this is a lot to ask but if someone might want to give us an opportunity to try one of these bikes out we will be greatly appreciative.

It's a tough decision when your getting ready to lay down the cash.

Me, Im more looking at the 200 XC-W or 250 XC, but will certainly consider the 300. Thing is right now Im about 1/2 track and 1/2 trail.

Any advice is greatly appreciated also.

dont get me wrong I still like the 450 but wish it was lighter, I have CR250 with a FFW and it is pretty cool but NOT what Im looking for long term.

Might try getting an older one to try out. That is what I am doing this year. I just came off or a CRF450 and now have a KTM 300EXC. I just put off my new bike purchase for a bit and bought an older one that if I wind up liking the 2-stroke I should be able to get all of my money back out of to put towards a new bike. I love it so far. I know that Hymark in Pueblo had a few 07' and 08' new left over 250 and 300's for like 5400 last week. I am not sure about the 200s though. Hope this helps.

im in the same spot as you as well... however im stuck between a 300exc or an early 2000's cr250.... the displacement and torque of the 300 sound nice, but the saved 30 or so pounds on the cr250 and extra handling sound enticing as well :p

Seriously my 300 is heavier than my 450 was but it feels a whole lot lighter. I am pretty sure it has to do with the way it carries its weight lower than the 4 stroke it also doesnt have the engine effect that throws the bike fore and aft with the throttle. I am loving it so far. Not to mention I really missed that 2 smoke smell.

Dealers aren't selling many bikes at all right now, so they should be open to it. I'd go to Elite and tell them you want to ride a few different models before purchasing. If they laugh, won't let you, etc. I'd tell them they lost a sale and try the next dealership. I know the KTM dealership in Laramie would be more than happy to let you ride a few bikes. They let me buddy ride his new quad before purchasing it. Plus they were super nice guys, and no sales tax ;-)

Elite also has many used bikes, and I'm sure you could ride those.

Great ideas, thanks, I know my dealer will let me ride them, but only in the parking lot...great :)

Weight wise my 450 goes 250 Lbs dry the new 300 is 223 Dry, the 200 at 208 Dry and the 250 about the same as the 300.

Then again maybe keeping both the 450 and the CR isnt a bad idea. Going to race the CR this weekend for the first time so Ill see how it goes.

When I talked to Elite about test riding a bike they told me they bring bikes out to VDR every Thursday night for people to test. I would call them first to make sure they still do this though. If you're up this way and want to test a 250 2stk other than an orange one let me know you can ride my 08 Husky WR250. Brad.

Thing is right now Im about 1/2 track and 1/2 trail.

IMHO 1/2 & 1/2 needs a 2 bike solution.

I've tried the 1 bike solution from both MX(CRF450R) and enduro (EXC300) sides and wasn't happy with the results. Now I have a CRF450R and CRF250X and am much happier.

$0.02