Sign in to follow this  

Ride Report - Long trip cut short - BBM to the rescue

DarumaDoll-1-1.jpg

It was to be a ride from San Diego to Cabo San Lucas and back. We had nothing special planned for the route - just pavement and the dirt roads on the AAA map.

This turned to be my actual route.

Tec-GNwithLegend.jpg

Monday was a sore-butt day. 300 + miles from home to Alfonsina's. The only thing out of the ordinary was two army checkpoints on the Compadre Trail - one of them near Rancho Neji and the other just south of El Compadre.

San Felipe to Alfonsina’s on wave runners ... no we didn’t do it… as we drink beers on the beach around the fire in front of Alfonsina’s, we talk to a couple of guys who take wave runners to Gonzaga in the warmer months. It takes about an hour and burns about 10 gallons of gasoline. It’s another expensive hobby I can’t afford, but it seems like such a cool idea it deserves mentioning. This time they came on dirt bikes. It’s their first ride ever on dirt bikes.

Sunrise at Alfonsina's

GonzagaPelican.jpg

On day two, we stop at Coco’s corner, but skip Calamajue wash after hearing how swampy it’s supposed to be.

We have lunch in Bahia de los Angeles. At the table next to us is a couple in their early twenties from Seattle, Yosh and Kristy.

Yosh is pronounced Yo as in “Yo, Dude” and sh as in “shush”. I think it’s the Scandinavian version of Josh. On the next day, we’re going to feel very lucky we met them.

They’re doing a two-up trip to Central America on a Triumph Tiger. They’re not even sure whether they’ll get there, but they just plan to keep going until the money runs out and then go home. It should be in about two months they anticipate. Kristy minored in Spanish in college and spent six months in Costa Rica so she speaks the lingo pretty well.

RoadtoSanFrancisquito.jpg

We stay at Punta San Francisquito on Tuesday night. It’s really a cool place - just a bunch of palapas on the beach. Dinner and breakfast are pretty good too.

Here's Punta San Francisquito. This picture doesn't do the place justice.

SanFrancisquito.jpg

The ride was over for me on Wednesday morning when my riding partner, Matthew, and I crashed into each other in the dust 10 miles outside of Punta San Francisquito. I injured my knee and got a ride back to San Diego in the Baja Bound Moto van.

We didn't know it at the time we met Yosh and Kristy at Bay of LA, but they'd run into a Baja Bound tour somewhere along their route. Tim gave them his number and said he'd try to help them out if they ran into any trouble on their way. On Wednesday afternoon in Guerrero Negro, we saw them again and they called Tim for us. Yosh and Kristy helped us out with a lot of other little things and I'd like to give them both a big PUBLIC/INTERNET THANKS.

Matthew hurt his ribs, but continued the ride on pavement. He'll be traveling with Yosh and Kristy on the way south. I guess he'll be riding solo on the way back.

20090302Tec-GroNeg057.jpg

Thanks to Tim of Baja Bound Moto for giving me and my bike a ride back to San Diego after I blew out my knee 10 miles out of Punta San Francisquito. And of course let’s not forget the guy who actually did the driving, Dean.

LoadingDRZGroNegro-1.jpg

Some of us get props for things we say on the internet … funny, entertaining or whatever. Tim deserves props for helping people who are in a predicament in the real world. I’m sure this time when he helped me wasn’t the first time he did someone a favor and it probably won’t be the last.

A BIG PUBLIC THANK YOU TO TIM AND THE BAJA BOUND CREW.

• Like 1

Bummer your trip ended so early. More details on the dust crash would be good. The jet-ski thing sounds like a fun idea!

That picture of the sunrise is OFF THE SCALE....Incredible!

Sorry to hear about the knee and your trip being cut short. Gotta hear more about the crash tho!

Props to BBM for going out of their way to help

Nice ... I'm talking about Tim and his team. That is professional work at it's best. Hope you get better soon and post more pictures of the short trip.

Too bad Tim wasn't around when I crashed last month. After a few years I can still hear his words in my ears "no crashing in Baja Luis".

Better a Joe Hauler than the back of a 56 chevy, to bad it's too late to remember Tim's advice "don't crash in BAJA":bonk:

Thanks for the write-up Gene. Sorry this one did not go as planned, I know you really had your heart set on it. The main thing is that it could have ended a lot differently (worse), but didn't.:p

And to just take a minute to side track and make point. Lots of people seem to enjoy taking cheap shots at BBM with bad gas in posts. Maybe there are some that are legit, but every single one that I have seen that he publicizes in this forum is an absolute joke, the last one especially (see Bad Story, Good Ending). Try and keep it real, that one was just hate. We should all be so lucky to have the misfortune of a breakdown or injury and actually see one of those vans or his group come riding by. The guy would be there for you if you needed it, bad gas or not.

For those wondering, I don't know Tim, never met him, never spent a red cent on his tours (although I probably will at some point), but the guy has been more than helpful with any questions and routing info that I have ever asked him for. Gave more than I ever asked for and certainly more than I paid for. Don't base everything on a couple of posts is all I'm saying.

Sorry for the hijack Gene, just seemed like an appropriate place to comment. Still looking for that 4th rider for April if ya need to get it out of your system!:ride:

• Like 1

Hey there Gene, this is Tim's wife Jennifer.

I just talked to Tim and he crossed paths with your buddy on the Husky today around La Purisma. Tim gave him directions out to Scorpion Bay and some cool riding spots North of there so he's probably eating fish tacos right now, listening to the waves:thumbsup:

Yosh and Kristi have taken the ferry across from La Paz and are headed to Mazatlan.

Your ride report was great and I'm sure Tim and Dean will really appreciate your very kind words.

Inside the van was a broken Yamaha they picked up in LA Bay for someone and a Honda belonging to a rider with a broken wrist. Dean is now a Baja tow truck driver!

Outerlimits - Your comments are spot on, bad gas or not Tim is a stand up guy. I think the bad gas comes out of jealousy sometimes, jealous that Tim doesn't have a miserable desk job, rides and races dirt bikes and has an awesome trophy wife :p:ride:

• Like 3

I think the bad gas comes out of jealousy sometimes, jealous that Tim doesn't have a miserable desk job, rides and races dirt bikes and has an awesome trophy wife :p:ride:

Don't get me wrong, I still hate him for that :moon:

Brett, no hijack. My RR is about the BBM crew as much as it is about the ride.

Jenn, thanks for the update on Matthew, Yosh and Kristy.

Pics - Well, I didn't take that many on this trip. On Monday, we were concentrating on covering ground without wasting time. Wednesday we were too worried about our problems to take pics. I think the key to taking a good picture is to take a lot of them. Some of them are bound to be good by chance. I took about thirty of the sunrise at Alfonsina's and picked out the best one.

For a more detailed ride report: http://www.dualsport-sd.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=4227

I have spent time with Tim on several occasions. I can say first hand, he does have bad gas.

• Like 1

Cool little right up. Short, sweet, and to the point for sure!

BBM was in the right place, at the right time(s) yet again. Props to helping out. I'm sure we'd all do the same if we could. Surely something to buy'em a beer over at minimum!

Dean is a great guy... I know'em on a personal level (and have for years), before I knew he drove for Tim on occasion. Will simply do anything for ya, talk to ya (a lot), and keeps great company. Props to him for doing the loading, unloading, driving, and talking. :banghead: And to Tim for allowing him to use the van in such kind gesture.

... :)

Cool little right up. Short, sweet, and to the point for sure!

BBM was in the right place, at the right time(s) yet again. Props to helping out. I'm sure we'd all do the same if we could. Surely something to buy'em a beer over at minimum!

Dean is a great guy... I know'em on a personal level (and have for years), before I knew he drove for Tim on occasion. Will simply do anything for ya, talk to ya (a lot), and keeps great company. Props to him for doing the loading, unloading, driving, and talking. :banghead: And to Tim for allowing him to use the van in such kind gesture.

... :)

i rode from guerro negro to san diego with dean once(only almost died once)he only had good stuff to say about you johnny. hes quite the conversationalist:thumbsup:

Trophy wife is right! I still can't figure out how he did it :)

I mean c'mon.....he's never home, has a loser job in the tourist industry and spends most of his time playing in the dirt. Not to mention his crusty attitude and propensity for giving up the "finger" for the camera.

I just don't understand what she sees in him?

All kidding aside, you guys are OK in my book and I think the story above simply reinforces what we already knew about BBM.

Gene,

Thanks for the report and write up! Great picture of the sunrise! I'm glad you guys are dong O.Kay. I was considering taking a solo ride on my XChallenge from San Diego to Guadalajara, Mexico (through Baja) next week, to attend my nephew's wedding. Then leave the bike in Guadalajara, come back by plane, and later on continue on exploring South on my bike... Now I'm kind of having second thoughts about a solo ride... uhmmm...

Take care and wish you a speedy recovery!

Martin

Gene,

Thanks for the report and write up! Great picture of the sunrise! I'm glad you guys are dong O.Kay. I was considering taking a solo ride on my XChallenge from San Diego to Guadalajara, Mexico (through Baja) next week, to attend my nephew's wedding. Then leave the bike in Guadalajara, come back by plane, and later on continue on exploring South on my bike... Now I'm kind of having second thoughts about a solo ride... uhmmm...

Take care and wish you a speedy recovery!

Martin

Hey, if you go solo there won't be any dust, go for it!:)