Sign in to follow this  

Setting up my 06 YZ250

Hey i bought my 06 YZ250 2 years ago brand new. When i bought it i thought the suspension was just stiff because it was new. It did soften a bit but compared to other bikes i have ridden the small bumps and chop go right through to my hands where others absorb it almost completely. I have played around with the compression and rebound non-stop and found settings that are well balance and handle O.K. but nothing like when i had my 125 revalved at Pro action.

I was thinking of sending my suspension it for a revalve but REALLY want to try and set it up myself. I have done lots of fork work before, mainly seals and bushings but don't have much experience with revalving. Should i give it a shot, and if so, where do i start. I know i need to lighten up the comp stack but not too much as i am using the full travel of the suspension around the track (i stuck a rubber band around it to see if i was bottoming anywhere and i was)

Any help is appreciated, thanks for now!:p

and by lighten up i mean remove some shims from the base stack, sounded like a newb there ha ha.

I recently purchased an 05 that sat in a garage for 3 years. Im 175lbs and also noticed it was very harsh on small bumps. No matter what I did I couldnt get around it. Backed out comp. backed out rebound, etc. After playing around with settings for months on my previous CRF I caved in a sent the YZ out to Factory Connection. 100% better!

I believe you can buy the shim stacks from them and do it yourself. Also look into the proper springs for your weight if the factory stuff is too stiff/soft.

The factory springs should be farely close as i weigh 160 without gear and ride mainly motocross. Just needed pointed in the right direction as where to head with my shim stack, just a baseline for changes and can fiddle a little from there. I know that sometimes giving this information is threatening to a suspension tuner. I'm not asking anyone to give me a full stack setup for me, but just a guideline of what i need to change to ballpark it. If this is out of line just say so as i am not out to make any enemies, just curious and want to learn how to setup my suspension for the better!

I can't give any real advice, but I do know that Dave J did the forks and shock on my 06 YZ250 and it is much better than it ever was stock. I spent over a year trying to make the stock stuff work how I'd like it to and it never was that good for me.

If I remember right he would sell me all the parts I needed to do everything myself for around $150... but it's been a while so I don't remember the actual amount. I would give him a call for sure! Lot's of people who are happy with his setups. He gives great support and he will let you install yourself.

Anybody have any advice of where to start with shims to soften up the first bit of travel?

Anybody have any advice of where to start with shims to soften up the first bit of travel?

damping is not travel sensitive but many guys are thinking of the beginning of the travel while they have problems with too much high speed damping.

when you remove 4 of the face shims (32 x 0.1) of the base valve you will notice a plusher ride because of a overall softer compression damping. if you have bottoming issues you can add some oil.

what type of riding do you do? and what skill level?

I have awesome settings for the 2006 and on YZ forks, unbelievably supple on the trail litter but still able to handle bigger hits.

if you need the stacks pm me

I ride mainly motocross and am a fairly aggressive rider that likes to be able to soak up the big hits but soak up the chop and smaller stuff