Sign in to follow this  

race ready KTM 250sx

I am getting a 09 250sx for this race season. I have never really had a big bore 2 stroke that i raced. I was wanting to know what you guys would suggest doind to my bike to make it race ready. I weigh 201lbs and am 6ft3.

Also does anyone know who makes a whole shot device for this?

To make it race ready you'll need to do all the normal service that you do with any new bike, grease, check bolts, loc-tite, etc... Next would be getting the right suspension springs for your weight. KTM has a hole shot device in the hard parts catalog, you can order online or at your ktm dealer. I would test each powervalve spring and see what fits you best, I always ran the grean in my 07 250sx. The jetting was pretty close out of the box for me, I ended up with a N3EH needle, 38/40 pilot and 158-162 mains depending on temps and i'm @ 3,500', do a search for specs for you altitude, i'm sure your pretty high up if your in CO. I don't think there is any need to replace the stock pipe or silencer, they both work good, spend that money on track time. Depending on what type of tracks your racing you may want a revalve, i sure did but mine was a 07.

Have fun.

The stock pipe is real good

A pro-circuit mx silencer will make it snappier & make more torque

1) MX Tech for the suspension. No one else is even close.

2) Dick's carb mods and an FMF silencer will go a long ways as well.

Awesome bike by the way.

what's up with this Dick's carb mods? Is that a shop, or some guy on TT with a thread on it?

And can I send off my suspension to MX Tech from Australia? :thumbsup:

thanks! Mike.

Oh yeah, and KTM makes a hard parts holeshot device.

Much cheaper then a PC or FC one.

what's up with this Dick's carb mods? Is that a shop, or some guy on TT with a thread on it?

And can I send off my suspension to MX Tech from Australia? :worthy:

thanks! Mike.

If you look on the MXA website and do a search you should be able to find info on the Dick's racing modified carb they did on the 250SX.

Basically all 250s typically have a 38mm carb but the KTM has a 36mm which hurts power. They bore it to a 36mm and modify it in other ways as well and it is very effective.

As far as the US companies doing your work for you, I'm sure they would for a cost and the exchange rate is in your favor but you have to decide if you want to ship parts halfway across the world.

If I was you I'd buy used parts in America, have them modified, and then shipped over but that is me.

Good luck.

Suspension is a touchy subject on a KTM.....

Go to Ktmtalk and let the "fire in the hole" rolling...:worthy:

Several well known tuners are getting great reviews.

I went Ohlins TTX front and rear. Couldn't be happier with stock stuff (but I couldn't resist and currently waiting on some additional magic touch from Coppersmith)

Now I've been told that the 09 WP is very good out of the box

At your weight you may end up only with stiffer springs (.46 and 7.8 Kg/mm)

Get a few hours on the engine before touching anything. I didn't and wasted a lot of time playing with jets and needles.

After the break in time, you may want to rejet.

I'm at sea level in FL and settled on the following:

N3EJ needle, #2

42 pilot/160 main

Motul 800 40:1 with pump gas

Red PV spring with stock pre-load

I have a PC silencer on stock pipe. It makes the engine a little bit more alive and sounds great

My next mod is going to be like PSD sun, a 300 upgrade

And don't forget the most important. Since it's a two stroke (AKA old fart's bike), make it old school:

SXW.jpg