Sign in to follow this  

DR 650 choke problems

I just got home from a trip to Moab on a 09 dr 650. I trailored my bike out through some snow and salty roads. When I got out to Utah, my choke was stuck in the off position. The cable was free but The choke plunger was seized in the choke port. I have read that this can happen, it just surprised me that it happened on such a new bike. I have since ordered a manual cableless unit from Keintec. Apparently the water runs down the cable and sits in the carb and corrodes the plunger. I just wanted to let peaple know that this can happen on new bikes with low miles.

Thanks for the heads up. I considered the manual choke but thought it might be awkward to use. Please let us know what you think when it has been installed.

It can be a tight fit up against some carb bits; I just filed the rubber pull knob a tad to give more clearance.

Sarah

Mine fit in fine the only problem I have is I have to take my glove off to get to it because of my IMS tank, but that's no biggie

I purchased my 06 last summer and found the choke was also stuck in the 'off' position. I have not gone through it yet to find the cause, but could be the same issue as mentioned here. Do you have a link for the cable less unit you mentioned?

Thanks for all the info, I have a '09 with only 3k on it and it just happened to me on Monday. I ordered the manual choke from kientech yesterday and now I have the excuse to start doing the simply carb mods :thumbsup:

As Rob put it (I think it was Rob) very soon there will be one less asthmatic DR on the road :lol:

Thanks for all the info, I have a '09 with only 3k on it and it just happened to me on Monday. I ordered the manual choke from kientech yesterday and now I have the excuse to start doing the simply carb mods :thumbsup:

As Rob put it (I think it was Rob) very soon there will be one less asthmatic DR on the road :lol:

Might have been anemic... or maybe pathetic... yeah, that's the one. :lol:

Holy crap, this thing runs soooooooooooooo much better with just doing the simple/cheap carb mods. Now I really can't wait until the exhaust and jet kit comes in. Why did I ever wait so long to do this :thumbsup: now I have to relearn everything about the bike :lol: