Sign in to follow this  

Help, stripped clutch cover

For Christmas my wife got me a 00 YZ125, which overall is in great condition. Last night I went to change the transmission fluid and realized there is one problem. The previous owner had stripped out the clutch cover threads so the check bolt doesn't seal very well. Does anyone have a suggestion on what to do? Since I can probably get away without access to the bolt hole is there a way I can permanently seal the bolt in. I'm guessing tapping the hole out to accommodate a larger bolt? I really don't wanna drop $140 for a new clutch cover.

A tap and larger bolt would do the job well.

Sounds like you are on the right track

JB weld on the threads and install the bolt. Everything clean and clutch cover off of bike.

For less permanent fix prematex ultra black silicone on the threads instead.

This happened to my 01 YZ250. I removed the side cover(Case cover) Got a M6 Heli-Coil, drilled the case to the proper size taped it and installed the Heli-Coil and it works great. You shouild never use the check bolt anyway i think from 98 and up the hole is in the wrong spot and if you go by that you will not have enought oil in the bike. Just fill it up with the proper amount of oil the book said to.

Same thing happened to me, I just ordered a new clutch cover from SHSpowersports.com fairly inexpensive. Hard to get the shift plunger shaft out though. Have to heat up the old cover to get the bearing out.