Sign in to follow this  

Forks

Does anyone out there have a list of make/model/years of inverted forks can be used on the 650. I am going to a motorcycle junkyard and will be looking for a set. Any helpis greatly appreciated. Thanks.

People are using KTM the DRZ supermoto uses an RM which is what i used, i have seen CR500 forks i think what ever you get a good deal on will work with some modification, take note that you usually have to replace the entire front end ie rim rotor and everything, it took all of about 5 hours to instal my 2000 rm forks on and have it ready to go but i had to collect a few things first:banana:

So what exactly did you have to do to the triple clams to make those fit and what size wheel where you able to mount?

So what exactly did you have to do to the triple clams to make those fit and what size wheel where you able to mount?

you need to get the triple clamps that are made for those forks

so

you lose the DR650 triple & a lot of the good stuff attached to it:eek:

21" wheel is mounted of course....but the wheel that you end up using is a match for those forks too

KTM FORK = KTM triple & KTM front wheel...plus KTM Brembo brakes

RM FORK = RM triple & RM wheels or DRZ400 wheels (expensive)

HONDA FORK = ....I think you get it now

of course, selling your DR650 front wheel will bring you a lot of bucks around 300 or so:smirk:

I have 2 sets of DR650 forks & triples if anyone is thinking of maintaining a regular height set AND a lowered set so you can easily swap out for the dirt when you want/need more travel......or to easily swap out for a lowered set for the street or the SM guys.....just email me with an offer

I just have the forks & triples....no extra wheels:thumbsup:

I'm thinking about adding some USD forks as well. Not sure what yet, but keeping an eye out for some used ones.

Question is in regard to the fork brace for the DR650. Allot of people add them to get rid of some of that mushy flex feeling... (I already have one actually)

Most dirtbikes (ones I've ridden anyway) don't have them. If I got another set of forks to replace the stock ones on my DR650, would I need a fork brace for the "new" forks. Or is that somehow related to a design "flaw" or just the excess weight of the stock DR forks?

I'm thinking about adding some USD forks as well. Not sure what yet, but keeping an eye out for some used ones.

Question is in regard to the fork brace for the DR650. Allot of people add them to get rid of some of that mushy flex feeling... (I already have one actually)

Most dirtbikes (ones I've ridden anyway) don't have them. If I got another set of forks to replace the stock ones on my DR650, would I need a fork brace for the "new" forks. Or is that somehow related to a design "flaw" or just the excess weight of the stock DR forks?

USD forks are much stiffer than RSU, you definitely won't need a fork brace.

you lose the DR650 triple & a lot of the good stuff attached to it:eek:

Good stuff ? like :)

Mezo.

I went on a rocky ride yesterday & the current suspension was waaaaaayyyy bettttttterrrrrr than stock:eek:

I fitted up the DRZ400 Fork & rear shock & my DR650 stayed in contact with the ground light years ahead of the DR650 boingers.......it wasn't perfect, but a little compression & rebound damping helped greatly

Flying down the fire roads & bumpy jeep trails was a joy....and in the big hard rocky stuff it was nice to not bottom out all the time & to not be tossed around like a ping pong ball

not perfect I say.....but just way mo' betta'....:)

Good stuff ? like :)

Mezo.

depending on what style you use i guess, i used a 2000 RM250 showa inverted fork and i bought a protaper triple for it i lost my steering lock, i have a vapor speedo but if i didn't i would have had to fab a bracket for that and the ignition is jerryrigged on, i was fortunate that the DRZ400SM uses the same fork so i ordered the headlight brackets for them and they fit like a glove otherwise that would have had to be jerryrigged as well, there are a few things to think of and that is just the triple, brakes and calipers and rims and speedo gears are all other things that must be considered

depending on what style you use i guess, i used a 2000 RM250 showa inverted fork and i bought a protaper triple for it i lost my steering lock, i have a vapor speedo but if i didn't i would have had to fab a bracket for that and the ignition is jerryrigged on, i was fortunate that the DRZ400SM uses the same fork so i ordered the headlight brackets for them and they fit like a glove otherwise that would have had to be jerryrigged as well, there are a few things to think of and that is just the triple, brakes and calipers and rims and speedo gears are all other things that must be considered

Ahh Ok, so the only real "Good Stuff" would be the steering lock, which face it guys is as much use as a mudflap on a tortoise anyhow, right ? (easily broken off).

Im going for the USD option, most of the stuff i knew about anyhow & dont see it being a real problem, my only real problem is finding the damn things, to ship a set complete with tripples from the US is AU$300 (just shipping cost) & not much chance of finding any locally.

Sigh, the joys of living in Western Australia, wouldnt change it though :banghead:

Mezo :)

\

Im going for the USD option, most of the stuff i knew about anyhow & dont see it being a real problem, my only real problem is finding the damn things, to ship a set complete with tripples from the US is AU$300 (just shipping cost) & not much chance of finding any locally.

Sigh, the joys of living in Western Australia, wouldnt change it though :p

Mezo :)

Keep looking Mezo. I had a deal on KTM a front end afew months ago that fell through :foul: . But I`ve just bought a early 300exc minus engine for NZ $151.00 on TradeMe. Might even be able to use the rear shock, as it a linkage rear suspension.:banghead: :banghead: