Sign in to follow this  

Dave's modes done !

I just finished the mods and it took about 90 minutes, two hours including putting all my tools away.

I did the recommended 55/158 jets. I didn't see why you needed to grind the tab off the adjustment screw on the bottom. I just set it 2 1/2 turns out when I had the bowl off.

Also removed the snorkel and replaced the stock air filter with the Uni foam. Soaked it well with Bel Ray foam oil.

After doing it, I can't beleive how EASY it was ! There is nothing to this carb. The hardest thing was just getting the carb out and that isn't too bad either. Below are some pictures of the guts.

The carb with the slide removed.

20090309-025.gif

The parts from the top..

20090309-026.gif

Drilling the slide..

20090309-031.gif

I added a small .020" washer. I thinks it's a no. 4 machine screw washer.

20090309-032.gif

The bike started RIGHT up after it all went back together. I will give it a real test tide tomorrow (raining now). It sounded good on the stand though, very good.:p

HI just saw your note from today about the carb mods. The pics look super. I have a 2000XRl and want to go back to stock exhaust and wonder if that's the exhuast you currently have. I have a stock exhaust set and just wanted to know if the jetting (you currently have)is about right for sea level and stock exhaust. I do have a K&N air filter on it. It has a FMF muffler and it pops so much on decellerating.. I'd just like peppier than stock and still kinda quiet.

Randy in GA.

I have the stock muffler on it. I just went with what was suggested by the article.

"Jetting Suggestions: With the stock exhaust at sea level and no gasohol, the jetting should be around 55/158. Jet leaner for higher altitude, richer for gasohol, or richer for aftermarket exhaust."

These new jets are a few steps up from the stock jets at 50/152. I think that the new sizes would be fine for an aftermarket silencer, but you may want to order a couple other sizes (160?) and see if there is a difference.

Well I took it for a spin tonight and it ran great. It now has a very noticable throaty sound from the intake. The engine fires right up cold too, I don't think it turns over twice before "vroooom".

If you havn't done it yet, spend the $30 for two jets and a UNI filter. The mods are extremely easy to do and they work great.

FYI, I'm at sea level with a stock silencer and I used Keihin jet numbers:

Main 99101-393 #158

Intake N424-26 #55

I'd use a #160 main if I get a new silencer.

Many thanks to all the supportive TT members, you rock !

about time...:banghead:

...you've been "poop'n" around like an old fart for months :)

:banghead:

Glad you got it done Rob, and I think you are right about the 160 main, especially in this cold (dense) air. Ive got a Supertrap silencer and the same mods as yours. Runs good! Now, we really have to get out there.

I was thinking about chamfering the holes after I drill them. Does anyone know if this will help, or hurt?

I was thinking about chamfering the holes after I drill them. Does anyone know if this will help, or hurt?

i wud stick with the proven drilling...it is possible to allow the air to move too freely an induce pulsing of the slide.

:)

Agreed, just go with what works. If that's not good enough, then you can consider a Mikuni.

Just finished up Dave's mods and boy, am I happy. If it runs this well after the mods, I wonder why the factory doesn't do it. I know it's because of emissions laws and such, but what a difference. The torque curve is so much wider. I almost went over backwards in 2nd gear..lol

Now it's time to ride. I hope to get my tire tomorrow, so that's going on next. :thumbsup:

Is there an equivalent to Dave' s Mods for the XR600R? My bike is absolutely stock, and it would be good to make the throttle response a little crisper. Don't want to cut or drill the airbox because there is often a lot of mud around here:

(yes, it is a 600R under all that muck!)

In the UK, so altitude not an issue. I could not find much using the search facility.

Is there an equivalent to Dave' s Mods for the XR600R? My bike is absolutely stock, and it would be good to make the throttle response a little crisper. Don't want to cut or drill the airbox because there is often a lot of mud around here:

In the UK, so altitude not an issue. I could not find much using the search facility.

The XRL has a vacuum-slide carb so it needs tweaking.

You have a direct-pull slide if the UK 600R is the same as the US 600R, so you already have the 'improvement'.

maybe you just need to clean the carb and/or tweak the jetting a bit?

Dave

You have a direct-pull slide if the UK 600R is the same as the US 600R, so you already have the 'improvement'.

maybe you just need to clean the carb and/or tweak the jetting a bit?

Dave

Yep, it's the same carb as the US model. I'm forever stripping and cleaning filter/ airbox/ boot/ carb because our trails are often very muddy. I will experiment with the jetting though - it takes a little while to warm the bike up and the throttle response could be better. Anyone got recommendations for a 600R at low altitude, running standard filter, pipe and silencer?

600 setup info...

http://www.4strokes.com/tech/honda/10tips.asp

misc info...

http://www.4strokes.com/tech/honda/

:thumbsup: