Sign in to follow this  

water pump question...rebuild?

(2006 250 R)i noticed that under the rear brake lever (next to the foot peg) their is the water pump right???well that little hole started leaking not allot but stains on the block......i know that in vehicles thats when the water pump is ready to go out.......also the motor block seems way too hot... and the hoses are just warm... so does this mean that the pump went out????i am jona jump into it but was wondering who has some tips???????

its just a seal??? that seems easy does all the assembly come out together or is there like cotter pins to remove? do we even have to remove the whole thing????

Check your bearing and shaft as well. My seals started leaking and we found out it was because my shaft and bearing were going bad.

sounds like a plan can i ask how much it ran you...im in college and all that that implys..(including lots o misspellings)

I had over 200 hrs on my 05 and never had a bearing go. How many hours on the bike?

I forget how much the seal was but probably no more than $10 plus coolant.

Once you remove the impeller the outer seal is behind it.

If you want to replace the shaft and bearing you have to remove the inner cover. Much more involved.

When you remove water pump cover check for play in the shaft.

well i have tons of hours on mine. i bought it bran new and have rode allot since 06... ive done pisten and valve work but things have been good till this. wear and tare i guess.....

before you replace the seal give the shaft a light emery (light sandpaper) to remove any imperfection that can cause your seal to go bad in the first place.

:p:ride:

i removed the cover and the peller and my question is how do i remove the seal????maybe a dumb question but do i just pry on it with a screw driver????

i ised a lobster fork...............easier than i thought