Sign in to follow this  

1989 Yamaha DT 200R - good street legal bike?

Hi.

I owned a 1990 (same design as your 1989 model) DT-200RA back in the day.

I bought it brand new from a Canadian Yamaha dealer because they were not imported into the USA.

My local DMV didn't even want to look at it, naturally, but I rode it on the street and in the dirt for about 10,00 miles, anyway. :)

It makes a fine bike on the street.

As long as you keep in mind it's got a 200cc engine and not a 998cc engine like you see in a YZF-R1, you can go anywhere you want and easily keep up with any traffic.

The engine is glass-smooth due to a counterbalancer spinning around in the crankcases.

Power output is a match for a Kawasaki KDX-200E, but with a bit more top end, believe it or not.

It's impressive.

Off road, the bike feels just like a real dirt bike, and it has the hardware and styling to match - it looks like the YZs of the day.

Put on real knobby tires and you can have a blast.

Good suspension and fine handling and feel.

I can only wish bikes like this were imported into the USA, but all we get are "sanitized" overweight dual-purpose bikes for our own protection and the good of the planet and this great New Age we're in. :banghead:

One day, I rode the bike from southern Connecticut to Mt. Washington.

I was in the company of a Honda CB-900F and a Honda CB-700SC Nighthawk S.

For the trip, I installed street-biased IRC GP-1 tires, balanced the wheels to a T, and put on the biggest front sprocket that would fit and the smallest rear sprocket I could find.

The bike would reach 100mph (according to the speedo), and the guys I was with were a bit surprised a little 200 could cruise at 90mph up Interstate 395 for miles on end.

In fact, the guy on the Nighthawk S was complaining that were were going too fast and were asking for a ticket.

It was a great trip. :banghead:

To sum it up, it's hands down the best dual-purpose bike I've ever owned or ridden, and I've had a whole lot of them.

This is especially true if you plan on actually doing some real dirt riding where the light weight is priceless.

I had an 86 DT 200 and I loved it. Best bike I've owned...well, up until I got my R². :)

If it's in good shape (truly good shape), I think it's worth it.

If it's got some rough edges, I'd offer less. :)

That's pretty high, IMO. I paid $2100 for mine brand new. The top end might be rebuilt, but if the bottom hasn't been touched then you'll have to keep an eye on it. One thing I know which was a weak spot was the oil pump; for some reason shims had to be added on some because it smoked like a bastard, even for a 2-stroke it was excessive. Myself I'd be wary. How many miles the thing has, and how it's been ridden and maintained can also be a huge contributing factor. Being you're also in Canada, I find $1800 a little on the steep side. There was one here in Vancouver that sold for $1500, it had 12,000 km on it and not a scratch on it. That was a 1992.

That's pretty high, IMO. I paid $2100 for mine brand new. The top end might be rebuilt, but if the bottom hasn't been touched then you'll have to keep an eye on it. One thing I know which was a weak spot was the oil pump; for some reason shims had to be added on some because it smoked like a bastard, even for a 2-stroke it was excessive. Myself I'd be wary. How many miles the thing has, and how it's been ridden and maintained can also be a huge contributing factor. Being you're also in Canada, I find $1800 a little on the steep side. There was one here in Vancouver that sold for $1500, it had 12,000 km on it and not a scratch on it. That was a 1992.

THat was the one that I was going to buy, but I held out too long T_T

do you think $1800 is a good deal on this bike? it's in good shape and just had the top end rebuilt

While I don't think that is outrageously out of line for the Ontario used market, I'd try to talk it down, especially these days. With the economy in the tank, it's a buyer's market. Funny thing is I don't think they sold for much than that that, but that was 20 years ago... Inflation takes it toll.

I had one of those that I bought used and it was a decent trail bike, for sure. One of the lighter dual sports ('course it was 'dual purpose' then) ever offered and the two smoke 200 made lots of power in the revs. Down low in the rev range, it was pretty weak, which I thought made it kinda lousy for urban riding. You had a choice between accelerating really slow or really fast. I took it on the highway - once. Didn't work out so well. Extremely buzzy and mine put out a bit too much blue smoke. Later I had an xt350 that wasn't quite as good on the trails but was OK on the highway. Mind you, I'm talking 65 (~110kph) in the right hand lane, but it was OK.

Tuff call. I liked it a lot on the trails, but not so much on the road. I just bought a WRR last fall (demo bike) and I expect it'll serve me well. I know, I'm talking about a different price bracket though...

The top end rebuild should be a big plus. Make sure whoever did it sent the cylinder head out to a machinist to be re-honed (sp?). Piston and rings isn't enough. It would have to have a new reed valve as well.

That was what I meant by having the oil pump shimmed. Mine smoked like a mosquito controller until it was shimmed, and even at highway speeds it hardly put out any blue. The powervalve setup in that thing I found snappy, mind you. On the highway I didn't have a problem, 140km/h but I was laying down on the tank and used the rear swingarm footpegs.:) As I said before, mine new was $2100. $1800 is a bit steep for a used, even if it is rebuilt up top.

i own a dt200r 89 model. does any one no if i can fit road wheels straight from any other bike directly with minimum modifications. im looking to motard it up a bit.