Sign in to follow this  

Shock seal cleaning

My shock seal seems to be leaving a tiny bit of oil on the shaft after it rebounds.. the bike has been sitting all winter and i just noticed it now.. i was wondering if u can clean the seal like u can on the forks?? My mud flap was ripped from the new tire i threw on so dirt most likely got in there...

I had a shock seal that leaked sightly once on a CR250. I took the seal out and boiled it to soften the rubber re-installed it and it didn't leak over the next year.

Running without a mud flap is a pretty good way to pit the shock shaft and get dirt into the seal.

i didnt choose it that way ahah it just eneded up like that. i found it out after the ride. It was cuz of a new tire and a larger front sprocket that didnt allow the clearance also the mud flap wasnt a cooperative piece of equipment. it would constantly hook onto the tire whenever i rolled the bike backwards

I dont know if this can work on the shock ,but the tearoff trick works on the forks. Try it and see if it works.

I dont know if this can work on the shock ,but the tearoff trick works on the forks. Try it and see if it works.

What is this tearoff trick?? how does it work on the forks?:)

I dont think I would run it without addressing the seal leak. The shock does not hold much oil. If more has leaked out you stand a real chance of ruining the shock shaft. This is an expensive repair or it would be new shock time.

shiat.. im done having to replace stuff ahaha. so how much is a seal.. our canadian distributer online catalogues. suck to say the least

i guess since i dont have any nitrogen stored up at home or have any shock oil.. ill just take it to a shop and apparently i can get it done for under 100

It is unlikely that the fork seal trick will work with a shock. The shock fluid is under pressure from the nitrogen in the bladder (about 150psi) The seal is quite hardy. If you did manage to get a tearoff between the seal and the shaft you would probably let a fair quanity of oil out of the shock as well causing the bladder to expand, accelerate the wear on the bladder, and ultimately cause it's failure.

It is unlikely that the fork seal trick will work with a shock. The shock fluid is under pressure from the nitrogen in the bladder (about 150psi) The seal is quite hardy. If you did manage to get a tearoff between the seal and the shaft you would probably let a fair quanity of oil out of the shock as well causing the bladder to expand, accelerate the wear on the bladder, and ultimately cause it's failure.

Hence why I said I wasnt too sure. The tear off trick does work on the forks though. I had a slight leak on my one fork. After sticking the tearoff a couple of times into the seal managed to get it to seal again.

What is this tearoff trick?? how does it work on the forks?

You take a tearoff and you slide it into a leaky fork seal (after you remove the dustseal) as a last attempt to clean up and possibly fix the leaky seal. If that fails it probably means a seal replacement

i didnt choose it that way ahah it just eneded up like that. i found it out after the ride. It was cuz of a new tire and a larger front sprocket that didnt allow the clearance also the mud flap wasnt a cooperative piece of equipment. it would constantly hook onto the tire whenever i rolled the bike backwards

i have the same problem when i run a paddle on my bike, I decided to just bite the bullet and go buy a new chain cutting it a little longer so i wouldnt have to take off the mudguard. I just wouldnt be very comfortable riding without a mudguard.

the tire has rounded off enough now that it hopefully isnt sharp enough to eat another flap. ahahah i just took the shock to a shop for inspection. its nice to let someone else do the work for once