Sign in to follow this  

Please help me choose my new 450! 09 KXF or YZ!

Deciding tomorrow and it looks like its definitely going to be either the YZ or KX 09 model. I so far am leaning towards the kx, but if someone can convince me to go with the YZ then i'm all ears. By the way, i know this has been discussed before but time has passed since then and i'm hoping more people on here have had a chance to ride and compare both. Thanks in advance everyone, i'm listenin...

ps. i posted in the YZF forum also, i just need all the opinions i can get. Tomorrow im pulling the trigger, i am so confused between these two bikes, its almost coming down to a coin toss.

I think that the KX is a better bike in everyway, only thing that would turn me over to the yam is that its the first year of FI on a dirtbike, I havent herd of any probs yet, but the carb is 100% proven.

Adam,

Ive had both this is what I think..

The YZ 450:

easy to ride and can put more laps on it than any bike because the motor is so soft. Susp is pretty good but im sure you go to a revalve. I had an 07 and it did not turn well even with a revalve correct sag it did not want to turn..They feel way more cramped even with bar risers and low pegs it still felt cramped to me.. Reliability on the yz's are second to none they are super reliable bikes.. You need a exhaust for it because the stocker is super restrictive but I dunno maybe you like that personally its prefrence. Clutch pull is horrid on those things compared to the kx..The kx feels like a 125 clutch pull. They handle great in a straight line especially in rough parts of the track..

The KX:

GREAT motor plain and simple its everything you can ask for and some.. Susp once set up works well..It turned better than the yz but not by much with 20mm clamps it turns better than my rmz and they turn like a 125 two stroke..I have some good friends that are motorcycle mechanics for a living they say the kx's and yz's are top of the list with reliability.. The kawi had dlc coated forks and yes they make a difference in the smoothness of the fork.. Brakes are ok on both but not like a ktm I went to a $140 ebc 280mm rotor done deal its great now. The kawi has a good feel to it its not tight and compact feeling its more like a 02-08 crf feel imo there open and with tall bars its perfect. I really have no complaints on the kawi I have it set up perfect and it cost me less money than what I had to do to the yz.. I think alot depends on your size too when it comes to spending the $$ on setting them up. If your taller or big dude the kawi fits good where as the yz is more cramped.

I have nothing bad to say about either really just the cramped feeling on the yz.. What kind of motor do you like? Dont you have a 505? Well the kx motor will be closer than the yz .. But with an exhaust and gearing the yz is good.

Both simple to do oil changes on..The FI on the kawi is great it works flawlessly.

I mean hek any of the bikes can me awesome you just have to do little things to get them there.. The kawi imo looks the best, has black rims, and the coated forks are money they look trick too. Ive never had a bike fail me besides a 04 ktm 450 and 525 both blew up but since then ive owned every 450 made and I like the kx the most it just fits me better and im comfy on it.

I know my answer is all over the place but I was typing how I was thinking haha:busted:

Norcal, i'm about 5'10 and 165 pounds so ergonomics wise, i guess our needs are different, and i wouldnt find the YZ cramped (i owned an 06 YZ250F before, it was nice to me).

Now on the cornering, this is my biggest concern, i know all the 450s can be made to have great motors, it is the handling to me that is most important. I am worried that the KXF feels big and is more difficult to throw around than the YZF, but if that isnt the case and the kawi can corner with or better than the yzf, then im goin green.

Also, my current ride is an 08 KTM 450 SXF, with ohlins rear shock, i like it but something tells me that for hardcore motocross, the jap bikes are better and easier to get the handling dialed so i am willing to give the 450s another try, this time if it doesnt work out, ill go back to 250Fs. As far as my skill level, i dont race much but i have been riding motocross for about 17 years now, just turned 24 and if i could keep in good shape, i am a decent A rider.

Take your pick bro you cant go wrong with either one there both good bikes.. I have ridden blue alot the reason I went to kawi this year was I wanted the FI motor the kx had and the dlc coated forks.. The suspension on them is similar stock id say but if your riding mx your probably gonna go with a revalve..Especially knowing you put a ttx shock on your ktm you must be somewhat serious then about going fast no matter if you race or not. The kx is not too big for you I have and know lots of friends and people that are under 5'6 and 140lbs that race the kawis..If turning and handling are your concerns I like the way the kx handles and turns.. My buddy has rg3 offset clamps on his 09 yz450 and it does not turn like my bike and I have rg3 offset also..The dlc coated forks when set up right are plusher than my yz was I dunno if its because the coating or not but any susp shop will charge close to $700 for the coating alone..Then ad in the best motor money can buy you have a winner.. But like I said before, the yz's are good bikes and both can be great bike for YOU with small adjustments and some aftermarket stuff. Keep us posted with what ya get good luck sleeping tonight might need some ambian :)

I'm 5'10"(and shrinking), and don't have any "issues" with the ergonomics on the Kawi. The major difference between the two is the motor. The Kawasaki has a powerful motor, and for a 450, the Yamaha does not. A lot of people like "soft" motors, however, but IMO, if the power is delivered in a smooth linear fashion-which the KX's is, it's a better package. It allows you to run a gear taller than the weaker motor, and along with that you don't have to work the gearbox as much. They handle a little bit differently, but IMO, suspension is such a personal thing, you're gonna dial it in to your preferences anyway. Suspension is the one thing that if everybody had the same likes/dislikes, the bikes off the showroom floor would handle so amazingly, the aftermarket would cease to exist. Unfortunately, they gotta set it up with too many compromises to work "good" for the majority, instead of spot-on for, well..uh.. ME!

Apart from that, both bikes are very reliable. The only current 450 I'd be suspect of, would be the Honda.

Lastly... lets be honest. The Kawasaki looks soooooooooooo much better than the Yamaha. It looks better than any other 450 out there, for that matter.

Mean-Green and black.. Nothing looks better than that!

Thanks for all the info guys! Been a big help, i'll let you know what i decide :)

YZF has a carb right? Can anyone who has owned an 06 to 09 YZF comment on how easy/hard it is to access the slide (needle) and main jet on the YZF. The carb looks caged in to me. If that's the way it is then no way would I buy a YZF.

OK I'm open to learn here ... but it seems that across the entire rev range, stock YZF 5 valve engines are always lacking somewhere. I know many people don't care. But I sure would. I just club race and play, but the grunt is raw fun.

Yam 450 engine reviews always seem to write about soft top ends one year then soft bottom ends the next. How about strong everywhere? I don't think it's just the mufflers Yam install. I think that unless you spend a lot of money on upgrades to cams, port, valves, pistons, etc, then the 5 valve head is really a 10 year old marketing gimmick and Yam are too stubborn or poor to let it go.

In Aus, when mags review the factory 450F bikes or TV shows interview the mecahnics, the YZFs are never ever built with stock top ends, but the KXFs typically always are. Money no problem for those guys. You work it out.

Who's got stats for factory 250F engine failures in AMA MX racing in the past 3 years? My mental stats would put Yamaha as the worst with more failures than the rest combined. Could it be that the 5 valver has to work so much harder to fill in the power gaps in the stock engine?

So my opinion is pretty clear ... I think you should buy the RMZ. :banghead: And with the spare cash, get the suspension fully dialed in for you, and get the rev limiter fixed, and enjoy. :)

So my opinion is pretty clear ... I think you should buy the RMZ. :banghead: And with the spare cash, get the suspension fully dialed in for you, and get the rev limiter fixed, and enjoy. :)

LoL, i considered the RMZ but i am not sure i like yellow any more for some reason. Plus the KXF is just so much more appealing.

Pick the bike you can get the best deal on and feel comfortable with, both are good. I went with the 09KX450. By far the best bike I have been on and it had the best fit for my riding style.

Well guys, i decided KXF! It will be a few weeks (maybe 3) by the time it gets to me but it feels good already!

but the carb is 100% proven.

Really? When you say proven do you mean, a complicated device that can sometimes cause a bog during hard landings or strong off-idle response.

I will say the KX FI settings are as perfect as it gets. If durability is OK it's the way to go.

Adam,

Ive had both this is what I think..

The YZ 450:

easy to ride and can put more laps on it than any bike because the motor is so soft. Susp is pretty good but im sure you go to a revalve. I had an 07 and it did not turn well even with a revalve correct sag it did not want to turn..They feel way more cramped even with bar risers and low pegs it still felt cramped to me.. Reliability on the yz's are second to none they are super reliable bikes.. You need a exhaust for it because the stocker is super restrictive but I dunno maybe you like that personally its prefrence. Clutch pull is horrid on those things compared to the kx..The kx feels like a 125 clutch pull. They handle great in a straight line especially in rough parts of the track..

The KX:

GREAT motor plain and simple its everything you can ask for and some.. Susp once set up works well..It turned better than the yz but not by much with 20mm clamps it turns better than my rmz and they turn like a 125 two stroke..I have some good friends that are motorcycle mechanics for a living they say the kx's and yz's are top of the list with reliability.. The kawi had dlc coated forks and yes they make a difference in the smoothness of the fork.. Brakes are ok on both but not like a ktm I went to a $140 ebc 280mm rotor done deal its great now. The kawi has a good feel to it its not tight and compact feeling its more like a 02-08 crf feel imo there open and with tall bars its perfect. I really have no complaints on the kawi I have it set up perfect and it cost me less money than what I had to do to the yz.. I think alot depends on your size too when it comes to spending the $$ on setting them up. If your taller or big dude the kawi fits good where as the yz is more cramped.

I have nothing bad to say about either really just the cramped feeling on the yz.. What kind of motor do you like? Dont you have a 505? Well the kx motor will be closer than the yz .. But with an exhaust and gearing the yz is good.

Both simple to do oil changes on..The FI on the kawi is great it works flawlessly.

I mean hek any of the bikes can me awesome you just have to do little things to get them there.. The kawi imo looks the best, has black rims, and the coated forks are money they look trick too. Ive never had a bike fail me besides a 04 ktm 450 and 525 both blew up but since then ive owned every 450 made and I like the kx the most it just fits me better and im comfy on it.

I know my answer is all over the place but I was typing how I was thinking haha:busted:

I concur.

im with the kawies, ive been through alot of them, had some honda's but never in my life do i want to deal with yammies, the 5 valves scares me, more moving parts weight, and less power??

BUT saying that, I would much rather deal with the guys at the yammy dealership, there so much easier and nicer to deal with than the honda or even dare i say, kawasaki dealership. dont get me wrong but the kawy dealerships are great nice people but at yamaha they know all the mechanics at the other dealershops and love what they do. yammy bikes or a :thumbsdown: yammy guy's are a :)!!