Sign in to follow this  

Turn Signal Switch

Hi,

My turn signals have gotten to where they either take forever to start flashing or don't at all.(normally the latter):p I've looked everywhere for a switch but have come up empty besides the Honda place who wants 70 bucks for the new one. If they like it that much they can keep it. Anybody have any other ideas to what it might be or what I can do to fix it?

Thanks

if you can find me schematics for the drz I'll tell ya whether it works or not.

-unless it's a connection elsewhere like MF suggested, got a volt meter? Pinpoint it

The switch needs a good cleaning. You can take it completely down, to the contacts. The factory uses a lot of grease that collects dirt over time and causes the switch to not make contact. You'll just need #2 phillips and some smaller drivers. Pick a area to do it, in case you drop a tiny part, you can find it.Electrical contact cleaner and a tooth brush will make short work of it. Some tweezers might help. You can use a very small amount of electric grease(bulb grease) on the contacts and pivot points. When done it should work like new and have a positive feel again.

Hi,

My turn signals have gotten to where they either take forever to start flashing or don't at all.(normally the latter):) I've looked everywhere for a switch but have come up empty besides the Honda place who wants 70 bucks for the new one. If they like it that much they can keep it. Anybody have any other ideas to what it might be or what I can do to fix it?

Thanks

If you are looking for just a turn signal switch without the headlight and other controls, Dennis Kirk catalog has a universal one for $19.99, or $35.99 with turn signal mounts. Part#'s are 21-549, and 21-548 respectively. It may be the flasher, like it was on mine and I picked one up at Cycle Gear for $19.00. If rule the switch out and need a working flasher, PM me I have one I found at home after buying a new one. You can have it if you need it.

Mark

Mark

Thanks guys. I'll start by taking it apart and we'll go from there. It's supposed to be raining for about 5 days straight so that will give me something to do. :)

Let me know how yours works. I took mine apartand cleaned it. Didn't really help that much. I also replaced the flasher with a automotive type and seems to have helped some but there is still a delay in the left signal more then the right. I might try taking it apart again to see if the contacts are worn out.

which type of flasher did you get? the electronic ones seem to work better than the load sensing type, especially if you use LED signals. Also check your voltage and battery, low voltage will make the flashers sluggish. Good Luck and let us know what you find.

The parts store only had a 550 so I jumpered the third prong to get to work. My battery is at 13.2Volts. I don't think that is it. The Right turn signal works great so I think it is a bad contact in the turn signal switch.

After taking it all the way apart and a thorough cleaning it works like new. The left turn signal still has a one or two second delay but that's much better than never at all.:)

brupska did you take yours apart all the way down to where you can see the contacts on both pieces(the slider and the black piece)? I cleaned those really well and that seems to have done the trick!

I did but maybe I didn't get it clean enough. I will take it apart right now and see. Thanks Rebelx34

After taking it all the way apart and a thorough cleaning it works like new. The left turn signal still has a one or two second delay but that's much better than never at all.:banghead:

brupska did you take yours apart all the way down to where you can see the contacts on both pieces(the slider and the black piece)? I cleaned those really well and that seems to have done the trick!

:) Yep, gotta take it completely apart to get it rite. Its been a while since I've done it, little tabs I think gotta be released to get the actual turn switch apart. If there is still problems check for corrosion in the signal light housing itself where the bulb makes contact.

I took it all the way down to the contacts for the turn signal switch and cleaned them up. They work a lot better now!! That is a lot better then spending $50 to $80 for a new one. Thanks all

Guys, I'm a total newb. First bike and no mechanical history. I have the same problem and want to tackle it tonight. Any pics would be very helpful.

Hot tip.

take some pictures as you go.

There is a little metal piece that can fit

2 different ways.

But, it only works one way.

There is an amazing amount of little piceseparts

in that little sucker!

But, yeah, you really have to take it all the way

apart to clean it effectively.

Nothing to it, but to do it!

:thumbsup:

One of the issues I found on mine was that the brass piece with the "dimples" (contacts) on it... the dimples were worn down. I took a punch with a round tip and tapped the dimples back out where they now make better contact. I also replaced the OEM flasher with an electronic (LED) flasher. Works like a champ.