Sign in to follow this  

01 YZ250F Jetting/Mods for Trail Riding

I recently bought my 01 YZ250F from a guy who used it to race and scout tracks before his Vintage races.

The majority of my time on the bike will be shadowing my 7-yr old who just got his first bike. Im not planning on racing at all...having said that I realize that the WR may have been a better choice but I got a wicked good deal on the YZ.

I know most people are looking to mod their bikes to get more power and speed but I actually need to tone my YZ down so I can run it safely at slower speeds, in short bursts, with more than usual idle time while Im watching.

Im hoping I can get some ideas including re-jetting so I dont end up fouling plugs.

Year/Make/Model: 2001 Yamaha YZ250F

Conditions: Elevation is about 800ft and the type of riding is/will be trail. 70F and above temp

Mods: 03-05 body conversion kit. WhiteBrothers exhaust

Current Jetting: 178 main. 40 Pilot. 105 leak. Needle is on 4th groove

I think I may have posted this in the wrong forum - since Im now getting away from the jetting and into other goodies.

Thanks for the heads up on the flywheel - Ive been looking into a heavier FWW...but how heavy should I go?

The heavier wheel will remove some of the 'bite/snap' making it a little more managable. Mostly though, it will make the bike less prone to stalling. I have installed some +8 oz, barely noticable when riding, big improvement in the slow stuff.

Kudos for recognizing forum thing. Perhaps Eddie will be kind enough to move it for you.