WR250R Acerbis Spider Evolution Front Disc Guard install How-to!

As we all know there is not alot of options for front disc guards for the WR250R, I liked the way the Acerbis Spider Evolution front disc guard looked, but after some back and forth email with Acerbis, I confirmed that there was no disc guard made for the WR250R and that there were no plans to make any for this bike....bummer, same old story right? Wrong!

Here is what I did, I bought the adapter mount (Acerbis part#2043190059) that fits all modern YZF WRF 250/450 Yamaha dirt bikes, indeed this does not fit our bike as the front axle on a WR250R is a much smaller diameter than what must be used on those machines. The width is correct, but not the OD nor the ID. The Acerbis disc guard mounts to the bike by replacing the left side axle spacer using a machine specific adapter. Since the stock Acerbis mount has the bike specific part press fit in the center, I took it to work and talked it over with a CNC programmer/machinist friend. We both agreed that the center could be pressed out and a new WR250R specific part could then be turned and used instead. So figuring "what the heck" I went to the arbor press and sure enough out popped the center! Cool! I took the parts (stock WR250R left axle spacer, old Acerbis spacer and Acerbis disc mount) back to my friend and in about a weeks time, Viola! He had made the perfect adapter made out of aluminum, just like the Acerbis part! Here are some pics of the parts and how it looks installed on the bike:

Here are the four parts, the stock WR250R axle spacer, the new part my friend made, and the Stock Acerbis axle spacer and disc guard mount:

P1050687_(Medium).JPG

Here they are from the side:

P1050688_(Medium).JPG

Here is the Acerbis guard with the new center part we made:

P1050689_(Medium).JPG

P1050690_(Medium).JPG

Here is the disc guard bolted to the center section:

P1050691_(Medium).JPG

P1050692_(Medium).JPG

Here is the complete unit on the wheel before the front axle is installed:

P1050693_(Medium).JPG

P1050694_(Medium).JPG

Here is the gap between the disc and the guard, looks good!:

P1050695_(Medium).JPG

And some pic of the guard on the bike:

P1050696_(Medium).JPG

P1050697_(Medium).JPG

P1050698_(Medium).JPG

P1050699_(Medium).JPG

I am using the WR250X front fork guards as I feel that they are better than the R quards as they do not flex as much, they also allow me to make my wheel swap to my X wheels easier. Now for the bad news: WR250X owners, this WILL NOT FIT YOUR MACHINE! The X disc is just too big! Want soem more good news? OK, here goes, you can shop around and buy this disc guard for around $28 for each piece or less, the outer unit is replacable in case of damage, you can choose your choice of colors for the outer disc guard, and my friend and I can make more adapters so we can all add this guard! We have to talk over the details for costs, so if there is enough interest from you guys, we should be able to make this happen! Let me know what questions you have and I will be glad to answer them as best as I can.

What do you guys think?

• Like 1

Very Nice. :p Love the look.

Wish it would fix the X, I'd be all over it.

What do you guys think?

What do I think? Why pay you to do something I could do myself on the lathe.:) Looks great! I won't be buying one but I will give you more gas. Good job.

I guess I need to spread gas around before giving you some more.

What do you guys think?

I think ... WOW! That's a pretty cool looking guard.

I am still not sure if adding a guard will help or hurt given the muddy, sticky, rooty, rocky conditions I usually find myself in here in the northeast.

So, I am on the fence for my bike ... but think that your setup looks first class!

I have been looking for long time for a disc guard ,PLEASE let me know

Iwill buy one in blue.Thanks I have wr250r 2008

I have been looking for long time for a disc guard ,PLEASE let me know

Iwill buy one in blue.Thanks I have wr250r 2008

Just shop around online for the best price you can find for the Plastic disc guard in the color you like (there are many to choose from) and buy the center mount using the part number I posted up above, I will see if me friend at work can womp up (technical term) some more adapters and then you can get one from me and go from there...

:)

Very nice Sandman! You do good work.

Gas for your efforts....

edit: just found out I can't give you more gas. Little window pops up and says I need to "spread the love" before you get more from me. Sorry.

Very nice Sandman! You do good work.

Thanks! I always try to do things as OEM as possible....I like stuff that bolts on/bolts off with no modifications to the bike, plugs in to factory connectors, ect....I guess it is my form of OCD...

Takes longer/costs more, but IMHO a better quality product in the end....

• Like 2

Thanks,just let me know when spacer will be ready,I will take one,

Thanks again

ive had the white and blue on my bike for about five months i just dont know how to post picks to show everyone. i didnt have to make any different parts , mine just went right on with the adapter kit.

What adapter kit did you buy? It would seem the white and blue plastic is no longer in production...also I was told by Brian at Acerbis that there is no part they make that fits the 2008-09 WR250R and that they have no plans to make one. Maybe you used an adapter from a different brand like a Kawasaki or KTM? If you have the Acerbis part number that would be great, you can post your photos up to photo bucket or PM me an email address and I can post up your pictures...

i really cant remember, i will have to look for the receipt but i think i ordered one for a wr250f and it went on perfectly with the kit, i will look for the sales slip and let you know. i like the black and blue you have it looks awesome.

Not to call you a liar, but according to the Acerbis site here: http://www.acerbis.com/p149_universal/185190.html there is only one adapter part number listed for any Yamaha dirt bikes, the #2043190059, which is what I ordered, I can assure all who are reading this post that this part will not work with out a different adapter...If you can find out what part number you used so we can verify one way or the other...That would be great!

That looks good, so the adapter fit in to your wheel bearing seal and was the correct spacer and ID for the Axle? Do you have the Acerbis part number from the package or where you bought it from? Wish they still made the white ones....

Maybe take a picture of it off the bike for us please? Thanks!

im still trying to find it , im almost positive i bought the universal mount and i think i bought it from motosport, but i will have to check, its been awhile, i think the black and blue looks sweet. i have a set of x wheels ithat im waiting to get tires for and the black would look awesome with them. when you swap wheels out do you have a oversized disc in front or are you using the r's disc? and what do you have in back, sprocket size? longer chain?

The X disc is too big for the Acerbis disc cover...that is what I have on my OEM X wheels. I have to swap brake calipers from the X to the R when I swap out my wheels. I am using a 47T rear sprocket for the R wheels, and the 43T from the R on the X wheels...I added two chain links from another chain I got from a friend who took off his OEM chain from his X for a new longer chain.

If you can post up some pics of your "universal" mount that would be great. Thanks!

DISC CVR SPI EVOMNT KT WR/YZ/F $32.95

Mfg. #: 20431900591820 Our #: T 736061 Vendor #: 73-6061

WR/YZ/YZF 02-05

This is the part Yamahawk said he bought.