Sign in to follow this  

Question about the 09 decomp pin issue?

I just wanted to get on here and ask and see if any of you guys knew what I should do, I am kind of in a pickle. Here is the deal. I have a 09 that is in the recall for the decomp pin. Here is the problem. I live in Georgia, but I drove to Mississippi to buy my bike for a killer deal. I went to my local Honda shop to see if I could get the work done there and there said that they were only getting the kits for bikes that they had on the showroom floor and bikes that they have sold and that I would have to go to the dealer that I bought it from. This is really not an option for me because its pretty far away. Is there a way that I could get the dealership that I bought it from to ship me the parts and then I install them or what? Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks

Just wanting the updated pin. I havent had a problem at all. Just would like to cover all bases.

This dealer sounds full of S***. I'd try Honda customer service and complain. What if you had just moved from Austrailia ? Would you have to take it back there to get it fixed ? Don't think so.

Find another Honda dealer(just a tip here,don't tell them you drove out of state to get it for cheaper), but definitely turn this one in.

I've had a friend get his 06 YZ250F valve recall done at another dealer than the one he bought from, and another who did the same with his 08 RMZ 450 case swap. I'm sure Honda works the same.

Let us know how you make out going to a different HONDA dealer.

I also bought my CRF450 out of state , and do not want to drive back , for the fix.

Besides ,there is a local dealer I would trust more to install it.

thanks

they are obligated to do the repair. but i may not trust them doing it if thats their attitude.

They are obligated to fix your bike. Also, in this economy they would be stupid to turn down work or piss off a potential future customer. At our shop we would fix the bike regardless of where it was purchased. Having said that the parts for this recall are very limited right now and Honda has no control over who dealers service first. It make sense that the dealer would give first priority to customer who have purchased from them. That's essentially the benefit of having a relationship with your local dealer.

Having the dealer you bought it from send you parts is not an option if they are following the rules Honda has in place regarding warranty work.

X2

They are obligated to fix it, but understand that right now dealers are only getting kits to cover 25% of the bikes that were on their dealer plan. The kits for the other 450Rs are all on backorder (at least this is how I understand it to be working as of right now).

So... Why would any dealer that currently has a limited supply of the pins be willing to work on your bike when they could dole the kits out to their good customers that didn't go looking for the lowball price? I've been on both sides of the situation and I would definitely side with the dealer on this one. I'd rather give the parts to a good REPEAT customer than to someone that bought their bike elsewhere. That good repeat customer is worth much much more to the bottom line of their business than you are. Of course this is a double edged sword. It makes you not want to go there with future business. As a past Honda tech at a dealership I would question my service writer if I was installing the pin in a bike that I knew was not purchased at my dealer when I had bikes of "my own" that were not already updated. And yes, I always knew which bikes were "mine." The dealership I worked for usually tried to make it a point for one of the techs to go over any new bike/quad/sled with a new owner before it went home for the first time.

Loyalty (or lack thereof) has it price.

Good god man, you make it seem like I am stupid for getting a good price on a bike. Loyalty? To a stealership, you have got to be kidding me. Thats like bending over, getting it stuck right up your ass and then you go back for me each time. Thats the dumbest thing I have heard. I had two options, pay around 8250 OTD (and be "loyal") or get my bike for 6700 OTD and be a "traitor". You are a dumbass if you pick the former. About the only thing that I use dealerships for are for emergency parts. Anything else you can get on the internet and have it at your house in 2 days for alot cheaper. Anyways I have found a stealership that will do the work for me. They are supposed to call me when they get the parts in. I appreciate the responses, except for the last guy.

X2

They are obligated to fix it, but understand that right now dealers are only getting kits to cover 25% of the bikes that were on their dealer plan. The kits for the other 450Rs are all on backorder (at least this is how I understand it to be working as of right now).

So... Why would any dealer that currently has a limited supply of the pins be willing to work on your bike when they could dole the kits out to their good customers that didn't go looking for the lowball price? I've been on both sides of the situation and I would definitely side with the dealer on this one. I'd rather give the parts to a good REPEAT customer than to someone that bought their bike elsewhere. That good repeat customer is worth much much more to the bottom line of their business than you are. Of course this is a double edged sword. It makes you not want to go there with future business. As a past Honda tech at a dealership I would question my service writer if I was installing the pin in a bike that I knew was not purchased at my dealer when I had bikes of "my own" that were not already updated. And yes, I always knew which bikes were "mine." The dealership I worked for usually tried to make it a point for one of the techs to go over any new bike/quad/sled with a new owner before it went home for the first time.

Good god man, you make it seem like I am stupid for getting a good price on a bike. Loyalty? To a stealership, you have got to be kidding me. Thats like bending over, getting it stuck right up your ass and then you go back for me each time. Thats the dumbest thing I have heard. I had two options, pay around 8250 OTD (and be "loyal") or get my bike for 6700 OTD and be a "traitor". You are a dumbass if you pick the former. About the only thing that I use dealerships for are for emergency parts. Anything else you can get on the internet and have it at your house in 2 days for alot cheaper. Anyways I have found a stealership that will do the work for me. They are supposed to call me when they get the parts in. I appreciate the responses, except for the last guy.

I agree 100%

In this economy buy your bike for the cheapest cost bottom line.......any reputable dealer will cover the swap and get reimbursed from Honda....

Dealership Loyalty.....*** does that mean anymore? :)

If you are dumb enough to pay a extra 1000 bucks or more on a depreciated item like a MX bike that is your problem.....I hope you get a glass of wine everytime you bring your CRF into a honda dealer for anything....:banghead:

hes just telling you how it works.

they will fix your bike,but you are more than likely a few down the list.thats all.

this is actually bs what they told you bc when mine happened first time i bought my bike out of state as well and they were gonna set it up at the local dealer to be fixed so they have to. i would call the dealer where you bought it and explain and have them call your local dealer and if not then honda usa will take care of it

another option is to order the mdk pin and then put it in yourself

hope it works out

H

I just wanted to get on here and ask and see if any of you guys knew what I should do, I am kind of in a pickle. Here is the deal. I have a 09 that is in the recall for the decomp pin. Here is the problem. I live in Georgia, but I drove to Mississippi to buy my bike for a killer deal. I went to my local Honda shop to see if I could get the work done there and there said that they were only getting the kits for bikes that they had on the showroom floor and bikes that they have sold and that I would have to go to the dealer that I bought it from. This is really not an option for me because its pretty far away. Is there a way that I could get the dealership that I bought it from to ship me the parts and then I install them or what? Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks

it is one thing to be loyal but these dealers or stealers as what they are were out of there mind trying to jack up the price on this bike to ridiculous numbers like over 8k. that is just messed up and not loyal. they should of seen him as a repeat customer and gave him a better price from the get go.

the local dealer by me at least was not doing that and knows who his repeat customrs were an flat out said i will give it to you 200 above cost like i always do and won'ty do what all these other dealers are doing and taking adavantage bc there was so little and people were willing to pay big bucks

it was ****ed up on his dealers part for trying to ass rape him not for him to go somewhere else where they were giving a normal price. especially in these hard times the way the economy is

X2

Do you guys in the states ever ask your local dealership to match the price?

Oh yeah, I tried for about a week to get the best price around Atlanta and nobody would go below 8 grand OTD because they were sold before they came in, they said. They way that it worked out for me is that when I resigned from the fire department to go back to nursing school, I had some pension money that I got back and it was 6700 that I could spend. It was either drive out of state or finance and that wasnt happening. So it worked out beautifully except for the this recall. I am gonna look up the MDK pin right now to see if its worth it to just buy that part and install it myself. I wonder if the MDK pin is stronger than the oem that Honda is replacing the stock one with.

i have heard the mdk one is un breakable and def stronger than the oem one. tech told me it doesn't solve any problems but is so strong when it does happen it just doesn't break like the oem one does. my buddy has an mdk one in his with about 8hr and so far no prob whatsoever. mdk is about 45 bucks. not bad to have it as back up and have in your tool box

Oh yeah, I tried for about a week to get the best price around Atlanta and nobody would go below 8 grand OTD because they were sold before they came in, they said. They way that it worked out for me is that when I resigned from the fire department to go back to nursing school, I had some pension money that I got back and it was 6700 that I could spend. It was either drive out of state or finance and that wasnt happening. So it worked out beautifully except for the this recall. I am gonna look up the MDK pin right now to see if its worth it to just buy that part and install it myself. I wonder if the MDK pin is stronger than the oem that Honda is replacing the stock one with.