Sign in to follow this  

Did I miss something?

After rebuilding my forks and reinstalling the wheel I noticed a gap between the axel clamp and the hub. Should there be a spacer there? It was as tight as I could make the axel nut. I cant remember what it looked like before I disasembled. Thanks.

It worked fine in the "backyard" test, this is not the brake side.

Axel.jpg

the right fork leg in a way floats on the axle, but when all the bolts are tight it does not move. If thats made any sense.

It looks right. The black object is the axle. The shoulder (where the axle gets bigger) should be against the spacer in the wheel.

Although it looks right, loosen the two pinch bolts that are showing and compress the forks a few times, then tighten them again. This will make sure that fork leg is not slightly tweeked and is where it should be. The other fork leg is locked in place by the axle nut.

Loosten the top 2 nuts and the axel nut. Before you tighten anything just screw the 2 top bolts down by hand so they are just starting to tighten. Take a large screw driver or a pry bar is even better and spread the fork clamp apart. This will cause the fork to slip on the axel into a neutral position. Where it want's to be straight up and down. Now tighten the 2 top bolts and then the axel nut. I am not sure if this will eliminate any gap for you but it will set the fork up so it is not trying to bind when moving up and down as its now sitting in its free state or straight.

I did what you said, but took more steps. I put the axel in and finger tightened everything. Then I worked the forks a bit. Tightened some more, pushed down on forks. I repeated this a couple times to make sure there was no binding. I felt no binding, but might try it again to amke sure. Thanks.

Yeah I knew before I even posted that I wouldn't be able to explain it all properly. The key is to spread the axle clamp on the fork over the axle and let it slide into its static state. If you tighten the axle clamp a little and pull it along the axle, you can get it to move over and stay there, then when you spread the axle clamp it will spring the fork along the axle into its static or straight up and down position. I was shown how to make sure the fork is in the right spot on the axle AFTER I had tightened mine on wrong. Glad its working out for you.