Sign in to follow this  

Total 1998 rm250 rebuild

How did you do that?

magic :p , not really look:

So, I'm new here to the group and I thought I would share my current project with everybody. I have a 98 rm250 that I wanna strip down, clean, paint and put back together. Here is where I'm a right now:

IMG]http://i655.photobucket.com/albums/uu276/rue_692003/bike005.jpg[/img]

you're missing the first bracket ( [ ) on the first ""

So I have a brand new set of UFO plastic waiting to go on - but I ran into a problem after I pulled the old graphics off my tank - it left this discoloration or stain that I can't seem to get off. I've tried brake clean and some misc household cleaner but nothing seems to work. Anybody have any suggestions or will I just need to buy another tank?

tank.jpg

is that just a film of glue? or is it actually in the plastic itself?

ive had the same problem with my 99 where it was actually in the plastic and i used a buffer and some light polish and it took it right off :)

Try Goof-off. It has an activator in it that helps clean up glue.

It seems to be the plastic itself. I was able to take all the adhesive off but it still left that dark yellow coloring. I might try a buffer on it - or more than likey I'll be too lazy and just buy another tank - cuz I need to get this back together so I can go ride!:)

Try some of the 3M Plastic Cleaner and Plastic Polish. It may take it off.

OH damn! the plastic is stained by the graphics glue?

That used to happen to the old Yzs when they went to white plastic, but that was from the premix usually!

Uncle Alpo usually has the fix for stuff like that so follow what he says:thumbsup:

I'll give that a shot once I start reassembling - but tonight I think I'm gonna try to get the motor pulled out. I got a buddy comin to give me a hand - we'll see how it goes. I'll post some pics of the progress later.

Alright, I got the motor pulled out and the swingarm and linkages taken off. I didn't realize how big of a pain taking the swingarm and linkages off would be. I found that there was a few bolts that got stuck in the bushings and just didn't want to come out. I finally got them out, but now wonder: Is it safe to re-use those bushings? And if not, how do I replace them?:)

Here is where I'm at now:

newstuff002.jpg

newstuff001.jpg

newstuff003.jpg

for the price replace them, and you will need to either press them out or get a long socket that is about the same size as the sleeve, but slightly smaller than the bearing. Put it in a vice with a socket on the other side that is much larger, (so the sleeve can be pushed into the other socket (does that make sense?) I may not be explaining that very well.... usually the sleeves will push right out with your fingers, but I bet your bearings are bad and they are seized in there.

Tom

I got to start pulling the motor apart with a buddy of mine tonight and it turns out that I'm going to need: A new top end kit, a new jug (or at least get mine replated), the seal arround the transmission output shaft and a new clutch basket and inner hub (mine are grooved). I'm starting to think I should have left it together until it blew up.:)

engine002.jpg

engine001.jpg

I did however get a chance to call a local company that does powder coating and was able to find out that they could media blast and powder coat my frame for $100. Which I think is a fairly good price. So now the question is- what color frame will look good w/yellow plastic???:)

I got to start pulling the motor apart with a buddy of mine tonight and it turns out that I'm going to need: A new top end kit, a new jug (or at least get mine replated), the seal arround the transmission output shaft and a new clutch basket and inner hub (mine are grooved). I'm starting to think I should have left it together until it blew up.:)

engine002.jpg

engine001.jpg

too late, you're at the point of no return, keep up the good work, it'll be a beauty when its done:thumbsup:

When I had my frame painted I just stuck with the same grey color, but it's really up to you.

The bearings in the swingarm can be beat out with a socket and hammer. Then pressed in using a table mounted vise.

I used some acetone on my tank and it was the same way and it cleaned it right up but make sure you use a white rag or it will dye the plastic what ever color the rag is you can still se a very little of it but not much you can check it out in my posts.

I just realized that i have an extra tank. It's off a 97 125 but it should be the same. Check the part numbers and if you want it you can have it.

I just check the part #'s are different.