Sign in to follow this  

New SM owner, thoughts/opinions wanted

First of all I love this forum. Looks like alot of great info and very helpful people. I just picked up a brand new 2009 SM a couple of weeks ago and already I'm thinking of modding it :p By trade I'm a computer modder and I just can't help thinking about tweaking the bike. I just figured I would ask some questions in one thread because after doing many searches there is almost too much info here...

I just ordered an edge tailight, aprilia turono mirrors, and zeta handguards to clean up the look of the bike but now I'm thinking of performance mods. I'm not looking to drop a ton of cash and I don't need the fastest bike I just can't leave it stock.

I have decided to order a jetting kit here from TT and I'm going to do the 3x3 airbox mod once I get it installed. Now for some questions.

Is there a drop in replacement for the headlight bulb that is alot brighter but still has a good life?

Should I go ahead and order a new header and install it at the same time?

FMF has the powerbomb header cheap enough but will it work with the factory muffler (is the connection at the end of the header too big)?

Even if it does work will it help much or should I go ahead and get the pipe as well?

I don't want an extremely loud exhaust and have read FMF is quieter than most but does anyone know about how many dbs?

I run 85% on roads with a 55mph speed limit but will be getting on the interstate/highway some. Will changing to a rear 39t sprocket be easy to install and after the above mentioned mods still have the same below 55mph torque I'm accustomed to now?

Flame away :ride: because I know all of this info is already here but its spread out and this will be the first time I'll be wrenching around on an engine. Also feel free to suggest any other mods that I have missed and thanks again for the great community.

# 1 power mod is FCR carb, then pipe & rejet when stock pipe rusts up. Full sys is only way to go. MRD is excellent bang for buck.

PIAA makes a great replacement bulb but I dont know number. Will post when I look up, Talked to their rep at Dealer Expo.

Welcome! Ride On.

Do a MRD exhaust and the JD jetting kit. I would say that is a must. I am sure others will say the same.

Agree with the JD kit..But he doesn't want a loud exhaust so even though i recomend the MRD its a loud exhaust.

I would think the FMF header should work with the stock can. Since you can put the slip-on on a stock header. It should work in reverse.

I will warn you once you start modding the drz it's hard to stop.

the first things i did to my bike were jetting, 3x3, and full yoshi rs2. itll open the bike up a bit without costing too much. i havent done fcr yet but its next on my list. Ive been holding off because i heard itll drop your gas mileage in half, actually ive been broke, but i like to use that as an excuse till i can fork out the money.

i tried finding an easy fix for the headlight brightness, but i opted for a better looking light over brightness. i dont really ride at night so it doesnt bother me. there are plenty of posts about putting in hid lights but its not as simple as replacing the bulb.

also, if the mrd pipe was being sold when i purchased my exhaust, i wouldve gone the mrd route. but if you can get a good deal on a yoshi rs2, rs3, or a ti model you wont be making a bad decision.

I have an 09 SM and I installed the FCR MX39 carb and cut the 3x3 hole in the air box. I was impressed to say the least. I said I was not going to ride it like this until I received my MRD SSW pipe but I couldn't wait. If you want the most power, the quietest bike without going in the motor, this is the way to go. You will not be disappointed, this carb is great.

wile your buying stuff from TT or weeling cycle do you self a faver and get a reuseable / cleanable oil filter

we recamend that you change the oil every 1,000 miles and with that oil filter you can reuse it

that way you do not have the exquse of " rats I'm out of filters so I will wate one more week to change the oil "

you need sace savers and RAD gards too

Make no mistake, the FCR produces way more power on an otherwise stock engine. They are good for 4+ hp. An exhaust and jet kit might get you three, if you are lucky (plus the weight savings). Stay with the stock exhaust until you have done cams and a big bore/stoker. You will be glad you did.

Any brighter bulb will have a shorter life. The stock wiring is not capable of a higher wattage one. I run a Sylvania SilverStar. Good life, a bit whiter light.