Sign in to follow this  

LED tail light question

I am in the process of cleaning up the back end of my XRL by installing and LED tail/stop light kit (Motoled Edge2 from Langston Racing). However, I have a problem.:p:banana::moon::lol:

It doesn't work. :ride::moon:

The new assembly works fine. I tested it straight off of the battery using the regular ground lead, and it's okay. I then checked the bike's side and I am not getting any juice through the wiring harness on the bike. I checked the fuses and they're fine. What else could it be?:p

route all the wires and check for breaks, bad connections, really dirty wiring, etc. Sometimes simply unplugging each connection, and re-plugging it back it can fix the connection. Other than that, LED bulbs have to be installed the correct way. Not sure on the XRL, but on my XRR I reversed the polarity without knowing it, and my LED bulb didn't work.

hey, i can't seem to find that light on anything but the drz400, do you have a part no for it?

www.drcproducts.com

edge 2 i have the same one. check out my build up thread if you wanna see it. I haven't hooked it up yet. I was going to cut the stock harness clip and connect it to edge2 and be all set up

I am in the process of cleaning up the back end of my XRL by installing and LED tail/stop light kit (Motoled Edge2 from Langston Racing). However, I have a problem.:crazy::lol::p:busted:

It doesn't work. :banghead::foul:

The new assembly works fine. I tested it straight off of the battery using the regular ground lead, and it's okay. I then checked the bike's side and I am not getting any juice through the wiring harness on the bike. I checked the fuses and they're fine. What else could it be?:)

I had the same problem when I tried to install a Baja Designs LED last summer. I assumed it was a faulty circuit board on the LED, so I ordered another one. When the new one arrived the bike was already in winter storage, but I had pulled the battery and it was sitting on my parts bench. So I decided to test the new one direct to the battery before trying to install it, and it worked fine. While I was at it, I found the BD LED that wouldn't work last summer and tested it direct to the battery. It also worked perfectly when connected direct to the battery. I suppose I may have wired it up incorrectly when trying to install it to the stock tail light wires on the bike ... but I'm pretty sure I didn't (I tried every possible combination of wire connections and still no go) :banghead:

uh oh... the damn thing is already hooked to the fender and ready to go.... isn't there people here that already have led light hooked and working? we need answers!!!!!

mine works fine...just a little experimenting to figure out the common, brake & running connections...

...there's only so many ways u can connect three wires :banghead:

aahhh...u guys r turning on the bike/lights correct?!? :foul:

..or r u running an AC system or DC(rectifier) system??? ...LED's want DC :banghead:

:)

mine works fine...just a little experimenting to figure out the common, brake & running connections...

...there's only so many ways u can connect three wires :busted:

I hear ya, and I tried every possible combination there is! :p:banghead:

aahhh...u guys r turning on the bike/lights correct?!? :crazy:

Yessir ... turned the key on and then hit both brakes ... nothing ... zip ... nada. The headlight and turn signals all work, as did the tail light I removed to install the LED.

..or r u running an AC system or DC(rectifier) system??? ...LED's want DC :foul:

:banghead:

Just the stock '06 XR650L electrical system.:)

I hear ya, and I tried every possible combination there is! :busted::banghead:

Yessir ... turned the key on and then hit both brakes ... nothing ... zip ... nada. The headlight and turn signals all work, as did the tail light I removed to install the LED.

Just the stock '06 XR650L electrical system.:banghead:

the reason i mentioned A/C wus sum of the 600 & R guys run it...

here's wut u do...

turn on the lights & use a zip-tie or sumthin to depress the brake lever...

then just take two of the brake light wires and touch them to the wiring harness connectors in every combination if that doesn't work reject one wire and do the same with the "new" two wires...simple polarity swaps make a difference with LED's that don't matter with conventional bulbs...:)

if it works on the battery it'll work when u get it wired correctly on the bike :p

:foul:

P.S. test ur connectors by hooking the stocker back up...it is possible to loose the connecton between the wire and connector...and it still looks gud.

Did a quick search

BD Blue to XR (Brake)

BD Red to XR (Running Light)

BD Black to XR (Ground)

I don't remember the colors of what I hooked up, was awhile ago. I would check, but everything is in heatshrink tubing now. With a test bulb figure out which wires have juice with no brakes on and then out of those two, which one is the positive one. When I first hooked it up didn't work because I just tried to go by matching colors. Not so smart.

I put the WPS tail light back on after the botched LED install attempt last summer and it's been running good ever since (other than a cracked lens, which is one of the reasons I'm replacing it with the BD LED).

I figured out which wire was which on the BD light when hooking it up direct to the battery. I've also got which wire is which on the bike written down somewhere/saved to my HD on my computer at home (I'm at work right now).

Thanks for the advice/help guys, I'm gonna give it another shot when the weather warms up here in the spring. :):banghead:

Well, most puzzling/:p

Because if I hook it up directly to the battery. It works fine.

If I hook it up to the bike through the harness. No workee. :banghead:

If I hook back up the stock unit, that works fine. :banghead:

If I put a tester onto the wiring harness, nada. :foul:

So, does that mean there has to be a voltage draw or impedance? :)

Are you frame grounded or grounded back through the harness. My 650r puts out AC so it is not frame grounded. The diode in the LED circuit will filter out the AC component. Check that you are properly grounded back through the system.

Just my two cents.

Winkel

Well, most puzzling/:p

Because if I hook it up directly to the battery. It works fine.

If I hook it up to the bike through the harness. No workee. :banghead:

If I hook back up the stock unit, that works fine. :banghead:

If I put a tester onto the wiring harness, nada. :foul:

So, does that mean there has to be a voltage draw or impedance? :)

is the key on?

What kind of testor, was it a bulb type testor? Take a mulit meter and set to dc voltage and see what you have at the rear leads. It could be possible that you have low voltage due to corrosion or a bad ground. Your stock incandescent bulbs will still work with low voltage, but be dimer than they should be. The led stuff I have messed with had a minimium voltage required to drive them, anything under this minimium voltage and they wouldn't work at all.

What kind of testor, was it a bulb type testor? Take a mulit meter and set to dc voltage and see what you have at the rear leads. It could be possible that you have low voltage due to corrosion or a bad ground. Your stock incandescent bulbs will still work with low voltage, but be dimer than they should be. The led stuff I have messed with had a minimium voltage required to drive them, anything under this minimium voltage and they wouldn't work at all.

Multimeter tried with both AC and DC. I suspect a possible bad ground, which I will pursue on my days off. :)

just get an LED buld be cheaper than re doing the entire setup

just get an LED buld be cheaper than re doing the entire setup

That's not the point of what I'm doing.:p

I had some time to check on it some more and it must be an errant ground. The stock tail light works fine. However, it shows the power leads to be grounded. :) If I ground the new LED brake light directly to the frame, it works. If I ground it into the harness, it doesn't work. The LED tail light does not work either way.:foul:

So, it must be the power leads are grounded somehow. But, where?:banghead: :banghead: