Sign in to follow this  

Older bikes?

Ok, so on sunday i was at a Whoops race at my local track, and my best friend and i were riding up to sign up for the race. Well, i have a 2001 WR250F, and my friend was riding a 2001 KTM 200 i'm pretty sure. Well anyway, this guy is all the newest gear and has that "look" to him, where he looks like 100% motocross man. Well, he looked at our bikes and laughed. I asked what was so funny, and the repy i got blew me to my boiling point. He asked me what this "Heap of **** is" I was almost dumbfounded. I always believed that Cross-country style racers respected each other, and what they rode. Was i wrong? Is there something wrong with riding an older bike? :foul: Any opinions on this? :):banghead: :banghead: I mean sure the older bikes arent as "high tech" as the newer ones, but that didnt stop us from keeping up with the newer bikes.

• Like 1

as long as you like it and have fun on it forget what people think.

im still riding my 01 426 its the only new bike ive ever bought its in good shape and i can hang with a lot of guys at the track.

i still have an 84 cr500 i ride too

• Like 1

as long as you like it and have fun on it forget what people think.

im still riding my 01 426 its the only new bike ive ever bought its in good shape and i can hang with a lot of guys at the track.

i still have an 84 cr500 i ride too

Yeah, true, it just got me really steamed becuase someone was dissing on my buddie and I's bikes, which, by the way, Beat that guy, i just looked at the official results. hehe My friends dad has one of those. It's beastly

Yeah, true, it just got me really steamed becuase someone was dissing on my buddie and I's bikes, which, by the way, Beat that guy, i just looked at the official results. hehe My friends dad has one of those. It's beastly

That's perfect...let him think what he wants and roost him as you go by....:)

Just let it slide. No need to get emotional over it. There are more important things in life...and the guy isn't worth getting all worked up for.

Were you out at Horn Rapids?

Focus on your buddies and having a good time. Life would be much more enjoyable if you don't let the tools get to you. Jerks are not contained to MX tracks...but they do tend to collect there sometimes. :) j/k I have had guys pull similiar crap in the past. I just smile at them, shake my head, and go about my business. It REALLY can mess with their heads.

Ride, Smile, Ride some more.

RhinofromWA

Ok, so on sunday i was at a Whoops race at my local track, and my best friend and i were riding up to sign up for the race. Well, i have a 2001 WR250F, and my friend was riding a 2001 KTM 200 i'm pretty sure. Well anyway, this guy is all the newest gear and has that "look" to him, where he looks like 100% motocross man. Well, he looked at our bikes and laughed. I asked what was so funny, and the repy i got blew me to my boiling point. He asked me what this "Heap of **** is" I was almost dumbfounded. I always believed that Cross-country style racers respected each other, and what they rode. Was i wrong? Is there something wrong with riding an older bike? :busted: Any opinions on this? :):banghead: :banghead: I mean sure the older bikes arent as "high tech" as the newer ones, but that didnt stop us from keeping up with the newer bikes.

I got older bikes than you!:foul::p

Wow, and to think that up until just recently, I have been riding all 80's bikes. An 81' Yamaha XT500, 85' Suzuki SP600, 89' Honda Transalp. I really liked them all, and now I am riding a 2001 CR250R and I feel like it's just so modern and new! Glad I wasn't there!

I would definitely just laugh that off. There are d-bags all over the place. My bike is older than yours, and I can't say I would care what some idiot obsessed with having to have everything new thought about me or my bike.

Just smile and nod. :)

Some guy you don't know walked up to you and called your bike a "Heap of sh*t", and calmly walked away with nothing else happening?

Sounds fishy to me

I went riding with some work buddies who all own Victory's anywhere from two years old to brand spanking new. I was on my '85 VMax (all stock except for the lime green metallic paint). I endured over an hour of ribbing and jeering before we left; how Jap bikes can't keep up with the new big inch American motors, how small and feeble the VMax looked next to a Kingpin, etc. After we merged into 78 west they decided on a 70 mph cruise. That turned into 80, then 90. At one point the leader pulled off. I caught up and passed just a hair over 120. After we slowed down and pulled off about an hour later the jeers turned to the Jackpot and owner who I spanked. It got worse when I told him I still had another gear available.

Moral of the story...F-'em if they can't take a joke; payback's a bitch; and my favorite, youth and talent are no match for age and treachery.

the beauty part about a tool like you described is while he's working his arse off to pay for all that brand new stuff we're out riding our slightly older bikes every weekend and still able to pay the mortgage at the end of the month.

i've got a neighbor who still rides the xr350 that he raced 25 years ago and is fast as hell. it's not about the bike it's about who's twisting the throttle.

i would kicked his ass!!!

especially since im riding a 94! and thats the newest bike we own! the newest ive ever owned was a 2003 drz 125 just before i got my kx 250. but those things arent worth a whole lot anyway

im 16 and my dad payed for it so i guess its whatever...but still. big ****in deal if you have an older bike.

its not that im so badass or anything. i dont pick fights or even try to fight when someone starts one. but thats so disrespectful. you dont walk up to somebody you dont know and bag on somthing they worked hard for. its just somthing that you dont do. i woulda socked him in his face. im mad right now and it didnt even happen to me! but good for you for not doing it

t

i've got a neighbor who still rides the xr350 that he raced 25 years ago and is fast as hell. it's not about the bike it's about who's twisting the throttle.

I LOVE riding my XL350. Its the perfect trail bike.

I took my 1970 SL100 on a big trail ride last year and had a coupe of those "Whats this idiot thinking" people looking at me, but I kept up for the most part and at the end of the ride they were amazed that a 40 year old 100cc bike can still do the trails. I really love the younger kids on the TTR and CRF bikes that think they are sooo much better. Hate to brake it to you, some motors havnt changed too much since the 70's...

Ride what you can afford and just remember...yours is probably paid off :):banghead:

Ok, so on sunday i was at a Whoops race at my local track, and my best friend and i were riding up to sign up for the race. Well, i have a 2001 WR250F, and my friend was riding a 2001 KTM 200 i'm pretty sure. Well anyway, this guy is all the newest gear and has that "look" to him, where he looks like 100% motocross man. Well, he looked at our bikes and laughed. I asked what was so funny, and the repy i got blew me to my boiling point. He asked me what this "Heap of **** is" I was almost dumbfounded. I always believed that Cross-country style racers respected each other, and what they rode. Was i wrong? Is there something wrong with riding an older bike? :busted: Any opinions on this? :banghead: :banghead: :foul: I mean sure the older bikes arent as "high tech" as the newer ones, but that didnt stop us from keeping up with the newer bikes.

So I keep my son on the newest bikes possible. He is an intermediate/b rider/racer. My son would never do such a thing and the kid who did it to you obveously doesnt appreciate what he has. We went to Toes Mx park in Royal City last weekend cause those pesky off road guys were hogging up all of Horn Rapids. LOL Just kidding guys :p Anyways about half way through the day some guys show up and I hear this nastailgic sound coming from across the track. The next thing I know a Maico goes hauling on by on the track. My son has 2 2008 YZ250F's one brand new and one with just 40 hrs on it and I was actually enveous of the guys riding the Maico's. They were in pristine shape too. One of these days I will get my hands on an old (lol as if there anything but old) Maico or bultaco (did I spell that right?) and restore it and ride it! :)

I would have knocked his bike down and jumped up and down on it! HAHAHA! JK! :)

There is one of "those" guys in every sport. Always has to have the best gear and best equipment and a poor attitude to match. 99.9% of those guys are all show and no go. They think attitude makes up for lack of skill.

I dont laugh at guys on the old PAID FOR bikes...I laugh at the guys that need 2 new bikes every year for the "contingency money' First off, in MOST cases, the money you get for winning at a local track will never off set buying 2 bikes a year. And, these goons are making payments on something that is depriciating. Every month that goes by, you pay more, but the bike is worth less.

That is something to laugh about...

I dont laugh at guys on the old PAID FOR bikes...I laugh at the guys that need 2 new bikes every year for the "contingency money' First off, in MOST cases, the money you get for winning at a local track will never off set buying 2 bikes a year. And, these goons are making payments on something that is depriciating. Every month that goes by, you pay more, but the bike is worth less.

That is something to laugh about...

Which is why I love that my son races Yamaha's. For one their contingencys are good for 2 years and because our 2 new bikes are paid for. The first time around yeah it was spendy (still paid cash though) but now that we normally sell our bikes every 9-10 months I typically only pay about $2,000.00 for 2 new bikes every year once we sell the old ones. I never have and never will finance a bike. :)

Every bike I own rolled off the assembly line before I stepped off the school bus for kindergarten.

The bikes my kids ride, well one of them anyway, is older than she is.

Ride what you like and what you can afford, "don't laugh, it's paid for".:)