Sign in to follow this  

I'm having starting issues...need suggestions

I'm out of ideas and need some direction.:)

I have an 02 YZ250 and I am unable to start it. I recently did some work to it and I'm wondering if anything i did could have effected the starting.

Work recently performed:

-replaced broken kick start shaft and cracked side case

-Added a JD jetting kit and cleaned out the carb

-Added a Steahly 9oz fly wheel weight

-repacked silencer

-added a new spark plug

Before this work the bike started. Now it does not. I don't see any connection except for maybe the jetting change.

The problem is that it is not running poorly. It's not running at all.

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated cuz I'm out of ideas!

Make sure the FWW isn't simply spinning on the flywheel because that can mess with your timing. Silencer plug removed? Got enough compression? Air leak? Your kick start must work now that you've replaced the unit? Clogged air filter from too much oil? Petcock isn't clogged? Kill button isn't shorted out? :)

This starting procedure was told to me by an old school guy. Its works for

him on his hard starting RM 250.

1.choke on

2. twist throttle a few times.

3. Now gently push down on your kick starter a few times, maybe to

build pressure? Not sure of why. But it works.

4. Now, kick that mother over and ride.

Maybe check the spark plug wire, make sure its on all the way.

Spark plug gap?

Of the items you listed I would suspect that in the process of installing the flywheel that maybe you somehow affected the electrical system. Check for a spark if you have not already done so. Look for a damaged or broken wire in the flywheel area if no spark.

Otherwise like you said maybe the carboration.

A good lesson for everyone.......only do one thing at a time if you can, then test. It helps to narrow things down when it does not work.

Check for a good spark. And if the spark plug is wet you are getting some fuel.

• Like 1

rejet carb to stock,if doesnt work,drain your gearbox(trans)put the drain plug back,put in new sparkplug and try running it if it runs,your leaking gearbox fluid through crankshaft seal,probably caused by rust on crankshaft seal,400grit sanpaper the rust off pull out old seal carefully not to scratch crankshaft,replace the seal,put new oil in gearbox,and if your lucky it works,if not you probably have crankcase leak or crack somewhere

Gloom and doom????????? sounds like spark, check plug even put the old one back in. sometimes new ones are already shot. Fuel system should be o.k.

Gloom and doom????????? sounds like spark, check plug even put the old one back in. sometimes new ones are already shot. Fuel system should be o.k.

I agree BRM. Although I am sure it could be caused from the gravitational pull of the Moon, it might not be bad to start with the easy stuff first.

Good point Roland, there was a full moon 2 nights ago:lol:

So I tried checking for spark by attaching the spark plug to the spark plug wire and then touching the side of the spark plug to the head while hand cranking the kickstart.. NO SPARK! I tried it with the old spark plug and new one and no luck. I unscrewed the cap from the wire and touched the bare wire to the head and no spark.

So it must be the coil, right? If so how can I test the coil.

OR where do I go from here?

I dont know if you can jump right to the coil. I would start with all of the electrical connections. It would be odd to add a flywheel weight exactly when the coil went bad.

How did you secure the flywheel when you removed the nut?

I think you're on to something here.

I dont know if you can jump right to the coil. I would start with all of the electrical connections. It would be odd to add a flywheel weight exactly when the coil went bad.

I used a steahly flywheel weight which screws on after removing the nut and washer. It then uses 4 small allen bolts to secure it.

I used an electric impact driver to get in on snug. It still left 2 threads showing. That was it. It was really pretty simple. I actually didn't touch anything else. I bolted it up and went on to the next task.

I tried removing the kill button switch connection, but still no spark.:)

I also removed the spark plug cap from the wire, trimmed back some of the sheathing to create a nice new contact point for the plug. Still nothing.:banghead:

I never removed or touched the coil

Try testing for electricity from the stator first. If your getting a current from the stator then you have isolated the problem between the stator and the plug.

Kill switch connections need to be inspected and ensure the kill switch is connected and not shorting.

Refer to manual