Sign in to follow this  

Who has worked on other brands? (mechanically)

Im may be getting a job at a local bike shop. I am well experienced with the newer honda 4 strokes. What about the blue, yellow, and green? Are they as simple to work on? Thanks- Mike

If your mechanically inclined there should be no problems!

:banghead: :banghead: :foul::p:busted::crazy::lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :)

Being an MMI student, they're all based upon the same principles. Only big difference is the dual overhead cams on pretty much everything but the Honda unicam design.

If you're a qualified mechanic, it won't matter what color... if you're not a qualified mechanic... it certainly won't matter ... don't stress about brand differences. Take your time. learn your trade.. It isn't a job you can fake. You'll know in short order whether it's for you.

Being an MMI student, they're all based upon the same principles. Only big difference is the dual overhead cams on pretty much everything but the Honda unicam design.

I heard Honda dropped support for MMI...Supposedly no certification at all anymore...For a school focused on one application MMI sure does suck..No offense...How much is your full tuition?

I think you really need to check your resources. Honda is the ONLY program the offers direct certification (and longest program at 24 weeks, all other electives are 12 except Harley). The Honda program at MMI is basically a Honda training center. You do the SAME projects that the actual Honda training centers have you do. You're enrolled in the Honda database just like you would be in a shop. Full tuition with Yamaha, Honda and Kawasaki electives for me is approximately $30,000.

Also, I've been telling all the new students here, MMI will suck only if you want it to suck. If you're willing to put the effort in to learn, you will learn A LOT. There's a lot of people here who aren't willing to put in the effort, therefore they don't get anything out of it. Just my 2 cents.

I think you really need to check your resources. Honda is the ONLY program the offers direct certification (and longest program at 24 weeks, all other electives are 12 except Harley). The Honda program at MMI is basically a Honda training center. You do the SAME projects that the actual Honda training centers have you do. You're enrolled in the Honda database just like you would be in a shop. Full tuition with Yamaha, Honda and Kawasaki electives for me is approximately $30,000.

Also, I've been telling all the new students here, MMI will suck only if you want it to suck. If you're willing to put the effort in to learn, you will learn A LOT. There's a lot of people here who aren't willing to put in the effort, therefore they don't get anything out of it. Just my 2 cents.

I agree completely about getting out of it what you put in...I was just trying to confirm a rumor I heard...I go to Wyotech and they have asian concentration which includes Honda of course but none of the asian brands offer any factory backed certification at least to wyotech they dont...I signed up for asian but will be switching to european to get into the ducati program that isnt offered anywhere else...The Ducati is a "fast track" program exclusively for wyotech students and is factory backed along with BMW and Triumph...Our tuition is 25k btw...

I visited Wyotech when I was looking for schools to go to, and that was the main thing that held me back, lack of certification. All the MMI electives allow you to earn your certification within 2 years of working in a shop, except for the Honda program of course.

As mentioned above, there are minor differences (due to the cam configuration) but other than that the concepts are all the same. I was a Honda tech, but worked on lots of Yamahas (their local dealer sucked) and a fair share of Kawis along with the KTMs and Polarii products that my dealer also sold. Spent a fair share of my time working on Ski Doos in the winter too.

And the KTM quote is correct. The first time I had to tear into one of them my laptop was with me every step of the way. That thing pissed me off. Basically when someone says that a KTM (with the RFS motor) is easier to work on than a Japanese bike they are lying. About the only easy thing are valve adjustments (rockers and screws like a XR) but other than that, prepare to swear and you'd better have the KTM specialty tools or you are screwed. FWIW I think the same of the Rotax stuff in Bombardier products as I do the KTMs.