Sign in to follow this  

Green Dot Roads?

I have heard about the green dot road area north of ellensburg, I was just curious to know if it was the worth the trip over the mountains?

I have heard about the green dot road area north of ellensburg, I was just curious to know if it was the worth the trip over the mountains?

It will be worth a trip but not right now. The open sections are still under snow. We will be posting rides as soon as it can be ridden.

There is also one south of Eberg called the L.T. Murray. The views are not as good but a good place to ride early in the season.

I hooked up with old man time last May for a ride out there. Its rocky as heck but well worth the trip. Cool because its very scenic, wide open(nopt alot of that in the northwest) and pretty much unspoiled.

This is what you'll find if you go too early....

289819147_3Af5b-M.jpg

289818856_L2bsD-M.jpg

That was only 4 or 5 miles up from the gate at Joe Watt Canyon (LT Murray) which is much lower than Table Mtn area. This was on May 4th last year. Remember, we had LOTS of snow pack last year. I think this year has been light so far.

It's mostly old logging roads that have been rocked so, yeah, lots of rocks. I used to ride a XR650R and it was perfect. It's not quite as enjoyable on my 300. If you have a Thumper it's nice on these. If you like single track you'll be bored. If you like MX type dirt you'll be whining about the rocks. If you like just cruisin' and great views you'll dig it.

Stacy

I enjoy riding the Green Dots....great views, lots of riding (if you have a lot of gas, you can make it from Columbia River to Liberty- the town on Hwy 97 - just not back unless you have gas stash)

Rocks are part of the terrrain...I just deal with it. Snowpack 2 yrs ago had snow all the way til mid April. Mid-late May best time to go...

mx813

I enjoy riding the Green Dots....great views, lots of riding (if you have a lot of gas, you can make it from Columbia River to Liberty- the town on Hwy 97 - just not back unless you have gas stash)

Rocks are part of the terrrain...I just deal with it. Snowpack 2 yrs ago had snow all the way til mid April. Mid-late May best time to go...

mx813

How many miles is that? I wouldn't mind a putt putt ride on my new ultra fast KLR250. Street mileage is reported to be 90 MPG. :)

It's a 2.9 gallon tank too.

Let see...staging out of Kittitas access area...down to Columbia and back up other side and towards Grouse Creek and beyond to get to Lion Rock and drop down to Liberty... I'd put that at 60 miles one way? Then head back to truck at Kittitas staging area...easily 100 miles of dirt and single track.

(light bulbs going off in my head right now for a future ride)

OMT....Hayshaker....Am I wrong here? Obvious there are some connectors there...

Let see...staging out of Kittitas access area...down to Columbia and back up other side and towards Grouse Creek and beyond to get to Lion Rock and drop down to Liberty... I'd put that at 60 miles one way? Then head back to truck at Kittitas staging area...easily 100 miles of dirt and single track.

Keep us posted!

Here is one of our favorite LT Murray circuits:

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=491332

Don't know if it is passable this early but I might want to try this Sunday, my son has a new/old plated XR400 that needs to be ridden.

Anybody have any intel on the current conditions/closures for LT Murray?

Ill be out there this weekend (in the 4x4s) Ill let ya know hen i get back but until then...:)

Quite a bit of green dot areas are still under seasonal closure. If I am remembering correctly most (probably all) of the area between Kittitas and the Columbia is closed until April 1st. The road(s) that go up Wenas creek (SW of Eburg) are closed until May 1st. Considering the weather we have had the last few days I doubt Table Mountain/Lion's Rock will be accessable any time soon.

It depends, Cooke to West Bar and back using Brushy and Brewton back is around 60 rocky miles. It can be stretched out some or alot if..

Cook to Haney Meadows using Table Mtn trail is minimum of 75. Liberty is an additional 15 or more to town. Milage varies depending on detours.

TONY

yes its a great place to ride yes its rocky but overall a really fun ride great veiws and some wildlife too dont go up to early though id atleat wait till april

Here is one of our favorite LT Murray circuits:

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=491332

Don't know if it is passable this early but I might want to try this Sunday, my son has a new/old plated XR400 that needs to be ridden.

Anybody have any intel on the current conditions/closures for LT Murray?

Well depending on what roads you want to ride lt murry could go both ways, the high hills still have two to three feet of snow in spots but the lower roads and clear minus a dusting this morning.

depending on conditions and weather.. mid april to mid may I think is the best time over there.. the fields are full of wild flowers and the canyons are lush and green

69582047_h7Ckc-L.jpg

I agree...I enjoy that area in May.

Spring is right around the corner. It won't be long and we will be putting in some great Green Dot rides. This snow has to melt and hopefully we get a heat wave in April when everything opens up down by the Columbia.

So im gonna play dumb here...

Went to that guys photo page. wow. Beautiful up there.

Is there any actual thinner trails? Or are they all fire/dirt roads?

Secondly, do you need a plate to ride this area?

So im gonna play dumb here...

Went to that guys photo page. wow. Beautiful up there.

Is there any actual thinner trails? Or are they all fire/dirt roads?

Secondly, do you need a plate to ride this area?

No plate needed to ride this area. Quads, dirt bikes, Adventure bikes, 4X4, horses and camels all welcome. Some of the upper roads appear to be maintained but most of the good stuff is very unimproved rutted, rock infested lava beds. You must remain on the Green Dot roads at all times and anyone who rides off of these roads can expect a very large fine. Believe me on a good ride you will find out what you are made of and so will everyone else. Whiners welcome. :foul:

It is possible to hook into the Table Mtn. single track from the upper roads. In fact on the Iron Butt 150 we do mix in some Table Mtn. single track on our 150 mile ride. :):banghead: :banghead: