Sign in to follow this  

New Australian DRZ400E owner

Hey TT,

Picked this little gem up about a week or so ago. 2001 DRZ400E, has 13,500kms and a nice bunch of mods, 3x3, yoshi, suspension upgrade, kickstart, radiator guards, bash plate, case saver, brand new disc breaks ect..

I've already purchased an MCCT from TT as well as some stainless steal CS and Rear wheel spacers. Once I get it all I'll throw them all in, locktite mods and check the cam chain and valve clearences.

drzmedium.jpgdrzsidemedium.jpg

Already picked up a wealth of knowledge from this forum and look forward to learning a whole lot more about these bikes.

Sam.

Welcome mate. Bike looks tidy! Good luck with your mods.... :)

It will likley be a 400E because in NZ and AUS we have them new as registered road legal bikes rather then the S models.

Nice purchase fella, well done. have just bought myself a 400E for some dual sport tripping around NZ. Absolutely love it, its like a motorised BMX on the road.

Is AUS as loaded with places to ride as one would imagine?

I don't know why but both Australia and New Zealand are just calling on me for a visit.

Nice bike mate, looks like it has a few road miles on it? Are you going to ride it on the road yourself or get it dirty?

ptgarcia, check out aussie sites like DBW and OBT for ride reports. You'd be welcome to head down for a riding holiday!

That's a really nice looking bike for its age, looks like new. I wish mine was that nice.

Thanks for the kind words guys, As Constable Plod said we were lucky enough down here to have the E as a road legal bike straight outta the box.

Nice bike mate, looks like it has a few road miles on it? Are you going to ride it on the road yourself or get it dirty?

I'll definitely be getting it dirty, It's my daily at the moment so it'll stay mainly road going until I get my NSR250 MC18 finished up. Then it'll be a full trail bike, and living in Central Vic there are plenty of trails around to fill the weekends.

It will likley be a 400E because in NZ and AUS we have them new as registered road legal bikes rather then the S models.

Well the silver rear spring is an S thing unless it's been painted, also it has a full rear sub-frame with rear peg mounting holes and the swing arm has mounting points for a chain guard - all 'S' features.

The carb looks like an FCR, though I can't really tell from the pictures. I'd still put money it's 'S' that's been trimmed back.

I'm not trying to bash the guy but it might be important when buying bits for it.

Interesting points re: Subframe and swing arm however the factory compliance plate states the model as a "DRZ 400 E", it was one of the first things I checked when looking at the bike for the first time.

The previous owner claimed he had the suspension upgraded for his weight/height which would explain the change of the rear spring. The carb is an FCR, I had the tank and plastics off today to check/change the spark plug and had a closer look then.

yeah, it looks tops!

but all the knobs are worn off the tyres..?

:)

in Aus the E model has all the road gear. only the first year or so of productin could u get the unregesterable model with the kicker only

then they put on the electric leg and compliance gear.

it has a full rear sub-frame with rear peg mounting holes and the swing arm has mounting points for a chain guard - all 'S' features.

All 'E' features here in Aus. Don't know about the silver spring though. I'm not sure if they even sold "S' models here.

Yep , we do get an S , but why you would buy one is beyond me . I`m still spewing that I bought an SM and didnt get an E with rims , greg

Well that's that then :-)

Probably one of the most useful 'E''s out there. All the power advantages of a Euro E with a rear subframe that can actually support a tool kit properly and mounting holes for a chain guard. Useful for keeping all the mud away from the chain.

Also all the correct lighting - good bike.

Well the silver rear spring is an S thing unless it's been painted, also it has a full rear sub-frame with rear peg mounting holes and the swing arm has mounting points for a chain guard - all 'S' features.

The carb looks like an FCR, though I can't really tell from the pictures. I'd still put money it's 'S' that's been trimmed back.

I'm not trying to bash the guy but it might be important when buying bits for it.

I'll take your money sunshine. That's an E, the suspension has been upgraded so the spring is aftermarket. E's in Aus have those mounting points for a poxy looking shroud near the chain that is removed about 2 seconds after purchase in most cases. They also have a full rear subframe and chain guard. All that is required for compliance and road registration. All S models in Aus are blue, all E models are yellow.