Sign in to follow this  

Exc-r plate solution?

i want to be able to quickly remove my licence plate/holder for some rough off roading then throw it back on for the ride home. Do I have to custom make something? or is there a part that already exists that i don't know about? any input is much appreciated, and any pics/descriptions of store bought or custom made parts would be perfect.

Not sure on the legality of it. But I bolted mine to the back of my airbox. I mounted it vertically and bent it to conform to the airbox. The only time i need the plate is when i ride in supermoto trim. I have been stopped (for other reasons) and the cop didnt mention it so.... I see tons of sport bikes with plates mounted this way.I believe it needs to be lighted to technically be legal.If you do this make sure you use nuts and bolts instead of self tapping type screws to avoid sharp points inside the airbox. P.S. Dont mention my name if you get a ticket.... lol

Not sure I'd put it on the back of the air box. I've seen tire marks back there from when I've bottomed out the shock. Seems like the knobby could tear it off.

The holder is just a few screws, I'd just remove them, pop off the seat and disconnect the wiring, put the seat back on and that's it. You'd just need a place to stash it in the bushes or something while you do the off-road stuff because it would be too big to carry with you in a pack I think.

In California you can have both a green sticker and a license plate at the same time (of course you have to pay extra), but only need one or the other to ride off road. So when riding in the dirt I take the entire rear section (plate and rear blinker section) off the bike.

Last time I went out with the rear section on in the dirt, i looped it on a hill climb, and destroyed everything back there... so now i just take it all off.

I am still legal with the green sticker for dirt only use without the plate or lights. I've been thinking about what to do on the interconnecting roads that require a plate... I was thinking of just mounting the plate to my camel back and if someone stops me just tell them it fell off.

not a bad idea. you'll still have a break light tho right?

not a bad idea. you'll still have a break light tho right?

i take entire rear holder thing off... so the brake lights, turn signals, and license plate come off. It's only four screws and it all comes off... unplug the wires, and stuff them in the air box. I have the baja desgns kit with LED lights and flush mount signals.

Anyone out there with other brands of license plate holders have issues with breakage when you fall? Just wondering if other stuff will hold up better than the baja designs stuff.

Last time I smashed this stuff, I was out $60... just want to avoid doing that again.

Anyone out there with other brands of license plate holders have issues with breakage when you fall? Just wondering if other stuff will hold up better than the baja designs stuff.

Last time I smashed this stuff, I was out $60... just want to avoid doing that again.

I tried a few until I tried the Sicass flush mount signal lights, these have endured a lot of punishment:

http://www.sicassracing.com/cgi-bin/shoppingcart/agora.cgi?cart_id=7164614.11588&p_id=22-100&product=Turn%20Signals&xm=on&ppinc=search2

22-100.jpg

273583329_TNAdL-L.jpg

273583688_z539Q-L.jpg

That's the Sicass tail light and plate holder too, but I think that is the same as the one that Baja Designs sells, if I'm not mistaken.

I tried a few until I tried the Sicass flush mount signal lights, these have endured a lot of punishment:

http://www.sicassracing.com/cgi-bin/shoppingcart/agora.cgi?cart_id=7164614.11588&p_id=22-100&product=Turn%20Signals&xm=on&ppinc=search2

22-100.jpg

273583329_TNAdL-L.jpg

273583688_z539Q-L.jpg

That's the Sicass tail light and plate holder too, but I think that is the same as the one that Baja Designs sells, if I'm not mistaken.

yes the lights look very similar. The shape of the rear black section is pretty similar to my baja designs one as well...

Have you ever looped out and had the license plate part smash the ground, and not break off? Basically you would have to be able to bend the license plate holder all the way up without it breaking. If the sicass one will do this, It's my next purchase.

yes the lights look very similar. The shape of the rear black section is pretty similar to my baja designs one as well...

Have you ever looped out and had the license plate part smash the ground, and not break off? Basically you would have to be able to bend the license plate holder all the way up without it breaking. If the sicass one will do this, It's my next purchase.

Nope, never looped it. But I don't think it would survive that, I think the plastic would break first.

i have mine secured with dual-lock velcro

duallock.jpg

sounds cool, are you happy with it? how long have you had it? have you encountered any problems or is it all good?

ive had it on my bike a couple years..ive replaced it one time since..the plate has only fell off once in a crash that also smashed my whole tail light to bits.

why not two bolts through the middle of the plate with wing nuts and lockwashers?

if i ran a setup like that i would only be able to remove the actual license plate. im looking to remove the whole plate holder/fender.

why not buy a SX rear fender and swap it out when your going offroad. I think its like 3 bolts and 3 plugs. you could do the swap in less than 5 minutes.