Sign in to follow this  

Pro Taper CR Hi

I just changed my bars to the new Evo CR Hi bar with the Pro Taper 1 1/8 adapter. I have a 2005 XR650R. When I turn the bars extreme right and left the throttle and clutch cables seem to be too tight. I read the threads on this set up and they said there should not be a problem with the cables. Has anyone else had this problem or am I doing something wrong.

Thanks for all your help

What is the width comparison like between the new bars and old bars?

the width is the same. the only difference is the new bars are higher by about 1 1/2 inches due to the bend and the adapter.

Thanks

Turning the bars in either direction with the engine on, does it affect the throttle, do you notice idle change? If not, you probably shouldn't worry. If so, you should consider cutting the ends of your bars around a quarter inch at a time. You could also move your lever perches in towards the clamps to increase slack.

OR take the tank off and see how there routed and see if you can move around any and get a little extra slack, might help a tiny bit

OR take the tank off and see how there routed and see if you can move around any and get a little extra slack, might help a tiny bit

TRAITOR! :)

x2.

You can actually gain quite a bit of room for the clutch cable with better routing. You can do the same with the throttle (not to the same extent, but you can still get more length).

I'm running a sub mounted Scotts with Renthal twin walls right now (tall KTM bend) that has more than enough room for the clutch cable.

x2.

You can actually gain quite a bit of room for the clutch cable with better routing. You can do the same with the throttle (not to the same extent, but you can still get more length).

I'm running a sub mounted Scotts with Renthal twin walls right now (tall KTM bend) that has more than enough room for the clutch cable.

I am running the the Scotts S.U.B. mounted damper with Pastrana FMX bars. The bars are now about 3-4 inches higher than stock, and the stock clutch cable works fine. I did have to get longer throttle cables though.

I am running the the Scotts S.U.B. mounted damper with Pastrana FMX bars. The bars are now about 3-4 inches higher than stock, and the stock clutch cable works fine. I did have to get longer throttle cables though.

I am using a CRF450R throttle assembly (with my FCR) so I have more throttle cable than I need to run them in the stock routing pattern.:)

I am able to do it with the stock cables and carb, but it takes some different routing. I very carefully reroute the cables to come out the right hand side of the frame (between the frame and rad) and run straight up to the throttle (do not pass them through the triple clamp) as opposed to how they come out on the left hand side of the stock setup. It is a little bit of a challenge with all of the plumbing going on up there (between the rad hoses and oil line) but it can be done.

If you aren't already, you can easily route the throttle cables between the bars and the gas tank; they just cross over the oil filler in front of the gas tank.

This will gain you lots of slack in the throttle cables!

...if you haven't already done it.:)

Yep, check this to. With my stock bars I ran into this problem after removing the tank. The tank can and will pinch the cables.

I run a very forward and tall set-up. It has a nice amount of slack with the cables on the housing point at you and the cables directly behind the bars and clamp.(not in front of the clamp like most bikes)

i've install tall bars and/or risers on both the R and a L (with the R throttle assembly)...

...experiment with several different routings and this wus the best.

DSC01691.jpg

if u have the space u can rotate the throttle assembly further down for even a little more slack and this wus also the best routing for reducing binding and sharp turns lock to lock :thumbsup:

:usa: