New DR owner, with stupid innertube ???

I picked up a 2000 DR650 10 days ago, it is my first dual sport and I've been have been having a blast... It was ready for a rear tire, so I thought I would try my hand at mounting my own tires... It went pretty well for the first try...

Here is the stupid part ? ... When I put the tube back in, I saw the nut at the bottom of the valve stem and assumed I had put the nut from the outside of the rim back on so I wouldn't lose it... I took it off and installed the tube with no nut on the valve stem on the inside of the rim...

My Question is, does this nut serve any purpose and do I have to take the tire back off and put one on the bottom of the valve stem inside of the rim???

Like I said I'm a noob and have not done anything with these types of tire installs

Thanks...

Yes, it is all back together....

I didn't notice it until I got to the front and there was a nut on both sides of the rim... If it is important, I will pay the price for my noobness, redo the work and put one in there... If it is not important (I don't see the purpose of the nut on the inside) then I can avoid the extra work...

The purpose of the jam nuts on both sides are to keep the stem rock solid so a stick or heavy mud does not tear off the stem so i would change it for what it takes and while you have the tire off look around for some rim locks this will save you heaps of trouble in the long run as well:thumbsup:

Thanks for the advice... Sounds like I will be taking it apart again and replacing the nut ? ...

Just put another nut on the outside. Any cycle shop should be happy to give you one off an old tube.

I have the other nut, I just wanted to check if it was neccessary to redo the tire install with it...

I've had the thought about the rimlock, but since Suzuki didn't have one in there, I wasn't sure if it was needed... Do you drill a hole in the stock rim to put a rim lock in???

There should already be a hole in the rim for the rim lock and it is plugged with a rubber cap. I think it is opposite the valve stem for balance. I should have added rim locks when I put on the knobbies... I guess I will do it with the next tire, though I hear it is a lot harder to seat the bead.

There should already be a hole in the rim for the rim lock and it is plugged with a rubber cap. I think it is opposite the valve stem for balance. I should have added rim locks when I put on the knobbies... I guess I will do it with the next tire, though I hear it is a lot harder to seat the bead.

Neither of my DR's 97 and 01 have had rimlock holes.

Just drilled and rimlocked the front yesterday.

Well I'm getting better working the tires now, with all of this "practice"... Both tires are now mounted with all of the tube hardware in place...

While we are on the topic of beads and rimlocks, how loud is the pop supposed to be when the bead seats???

I expected something that would be kind of loud and I just got a thwump sound... The tires are Duro's and are about a 60/40 tire, they look kind of like the deathwings...

The rimlock will go in on the next tire change, if I find myself riding more aggressive offroad with lower pressure... For right now I'm just taking it easy on some dirt roads and learning a new riding style... Thanks again for the suggestions, I've been reading and finding a lot of useful info on this site ?

Neither of my DR's 97 and 01 have had rimlock holes.

Just drilled and rimlocked the front yesterday.

Do you need a rimlock on the front tire?

I've had several dirt bikes and none had ever had a front rimlock. I've not had any problems with the front tire moving on the rim..

I can understand the rear.

Was just wondering if this was necessary.