Sign in to follow this  

how many miles is condidered ALOT to have on a drz

I currently have a 2006 with 1900 and need to know this so when I sell it I can put "low miles" :)

40,000 miles is considered a lot.

A dealer would advertise 1900 as a low mileage motorcycle.

I currently have a 2006 with 1900 and need to know this so when I sell it I can put "low miles" :banghead:

Mines a 02 with 32,000 miles on it good as new is that to many miles :)

My general thinking is about 30k miles is getting high.

Packman, didn't your barrel show some signs of wear when you replaced it?

really depends on usage.

after 1900 hard off road miles a bike can get pretty hammered. 1900 street only miles is a totally different story.

but, in general 1900 is pretty low for the drz.

So my question here (sorry for the thread jack) is this:

My last 2 bikes were sportbike. I put a LOT of miles on them. I put 142000 miles on my NT650 in 3.5 years. On my CBR I put on 20k in just under a year. I am assuming that I can do nowhere near this kind of riding on my DRZ without a rebuild? I will be commuting to work and then MC camping most of the time. Looking to put at LEAST 20k a year on the bike. Is this gonna suck?

No, you aren't gonna get 142k on your DRZ...

If you get to 40k, I'd be looking at replacing the top end and stock valves.

I'm curious how many DRZs actually make it to 30K or 40K... From what I read here it seems quite a few blow up way earlier than that.

The fact is, the DRZ is a single cylinder engine and even though it's a reliable one, they can only go so far...

Back to the OP's question: 1900 street miles for an 06 is low miles. If it's offroad miles, it isn't.

really depends on usage.

after 1900 hard off road miles a bike can get pretty hammered. 1900 street only miles is a totally different story.

but, in general 1900 is pretty low for the drz.

So if it has 1900 hard off road miles - and a bike *can* get pretty hammered, how do you know whether, in fact, it *is*. Read elsewhere that leakdown test isn't really viable on these. So what does the bike do that tells you it's been hammered (motor-wise)?

So if it has 1900 hard off road miles - and a bike *can* get pretty hammered, how do you know whether, in fact, it *is*. Read elsewhere that leakdown test isn't really viable on these. So what does the bike do that tells you it's been hammered (motor-wise)?

assuming you're in a scenario where you're looking at a used bike:

no good way to know if the motor needs attention or not with only a visual inspection of the bike. there may be obvious signs - smokes, knocks, runs rough, has no oil, etc., etc..

i was referring more or less to the visual appearance of the bike. but yes, a motor can get hammered in 1900 miles. poor upkeep can kill a motor too.

who told you leak down test wasn't vialble? i think you're thinking of a compression test.

my off road bike has about 8000 miles on it. looks like poopie & i'm on my 2nd set of fenders & shrouds. still runs good though. which i would chalk up to good maintanence.

can't really answer the "so what does the bike do" question. had to use the "quotes" somewhere :)

My last 2 bikes were sportbike. I put a LOT of miles on them. I put 142000 miles on my NT650 in 3.5 years. On my CBR I put on 20k in just under a year. I am assuming that I can do nowhere near this kind of riding on my DRZ without a rebuild? I will be commuting to work and then MC camping most of the time. Looking to put at LEAST 20k a year on the bike. Is this gonna suck?

I have a 2006 DR-Z SM with just over 30K miles on it. I purchased the bike in May of 07, so that's about 30K miles over 22 months. That works out to a little more than 16K miles per year. I've used the bike for commuting, canyon carving, and even long weekend tours. I had to get used to the relatively harsh ride on the freeway, but other than that, no worries.

I'm curious how many DRZs actually make it to 30K or 40K... From what I read here it seems quite a few blow up way earlier than that.

The fact is, the DRZ is a single cylinder engine and even though it's a reliable one, they can only go so far...

Back to the OP's question: 1900 street miles for an 06 is low miles. If it's offroad miles, it isn't.

My bike has seen dirt (I put Conti TKC80s on the 17-inch wheels) all of three times. It's also completely stock in terms of motor, airbox, carb and exhaust. All I've done is the regularly scheduled maintenance, and the thing runs like a champ. :)

And finally, to stay on topic, 1900 street miles is low on a stock DR-Z.

its all street miles? is that worse, if so why?

I currently have a 2006 with 1900 and need to know this so when I sell it I can put "low miles" :banghead:

yea i'd say you can put low mileage. i have more than 2x that on my 09 :)

i sold vehicles for many years. A vehicle should only be advertised as low miles if it has low miles FOR THE YEAR. if you have 2009 with 5000 miles that would not be low miles. if you have a 2000 with 5000 miles that would be low miles. you need to find out what average miles for 1 year is and see if you are under the yearly miles times the amout of years your bike has (3 being that it's an 06 and the 09's are out.)

There are a few threads floating around with people posting up mileage but for the most part it seems that there aren't too many in the 30-40K range. I really think its all in how you ride, where you ride, and how you maintain the bike. I just passed the 10K mark on my 06 doozer, bought it last year with 3.5K on it...daily commuter on good days and weekend warrior most weekends. oil change every 1K and all the fixes done...I hope to get another 10K out of it seeing as it still runs like a raped ape....

either way I am always amazed when guys come across early 2000 models with less than 5000 miles on the bike, to me if the engine is in good shape, pulls hard and sounds good (as good as a drz can sound) then I say hella deal for sure with certainly low miles. just me .02 worth...