Sign in to follow this  

2004 kx 250 not shifting passed 2cnd gear

I am having problems with my kx 250. After a day of riding it, I changed the oil and changed the clutch cover gasket, as it had a slight leak. Now the bike will go into first, neutral, and second. When I try to go into 3rd, the gear shifter will slightly go up, like if you were in 5th trying to upshift, any ideas what could have happened. I went down once that day of riding in a turn and did fall on the side of the bike the shift lever is on, but I was able to continue riding all day with no problems.

I am having problems with my kx 250. After a day of riding it, I changed the oil and changed the clutch cover gasket, as it had a slight leak. Now the bike will go into first, neutral, and second. When I try to go into 3rd, the gear shifter will slightly go up, like if you were in 5th trying to upshift, any ideas what could have happened. I went down once that day of riding in a turn and did fall on the side of the bike the shift lever is on, but I was able to continue riding all day with no problems.

I would pull the clutch cover back off and inspect your shift mechanism behind the clutch. Sounds like maybe something broke or bent there.

Could be from the crash, and finally quit working.

won't go past 2nd while on a stand or when trying to ride it? if it's on a stand try to rock the rear wheel back and forth while trying to shift it.

it wont shift passed second on the stand or while riding it, I also stripped the top clutch cover bolt hole. to fix this I used a longer clutch cover bolt, do you guys think that could have had something to do with this

The longer bolt may cause it if it is hitting athe shift drum or a fork or ay part of the shifter. Take it out and try it again.

Ed