Sign in to follow this  

Shake Down Ride for Spare Motor

Well went for a little shake down ride..to test the spare motor, and for loose bolts and stuff.

Engines running great,,went thru some sand,,a couple of back roads,,,bout 15 minutes

of pushing and shaking down this spare motor,,,I LOOK down at my speedo and its dead.

I see only the time,,and this is what I see when the key and engine is OFF

So I decided to go home and find out whats up.

I pull into this sandy road and I stall the bike.. Now I cant start the bike.

1.I pull over and start striping things off the bike,, and I hit the start button and I hear click click real fast like,I get the seat off ,,,and the clicking is coming from and its sorta like the solenoid for a car starter under the seat. I take one of the wires off And the speedo comes on,,,hit the start button and you hear the clicking noise again

Im sure the battery is GOOD and it will probable bump start and run without the magic start button..

Any help in trouble shooting ....and of course I checked and rechecked all the fuses.

By the way Im using the spare engine cause the 470's

got a blown head gasket,and as soon as I got spare installed the head gasket arrived,

2. I ASSume you need to remove the engine anyways to replace the Head Gasket

RIGHT ??

you can replace the head gasket in the frame.

since you have it out already feel free to stick it in the cooler and send it to me.i will take care of it.

You know Eddie ,,I think Ill take you up on that offer

Thank YOU

But what about the selonoid clicking while trying to start

the spare motor,,can I by pass it ,,,like with car starters

Is there something I could check ??

Your battery is low... probably the spare motors charging system isn't working properly.

above, +1.

Make sure the alternator's electric connections are plugged in first. See if it helps, then stick the battery on a charger.

Now, if the problem recurrs, you have a bad alternator component. If it occurs quickly, you have a drain on the system somewhere and will take some time to find, but always look where you worked last, the new motor.

Your battery is low... probably the spare motors charging system isn't working properly.

OK,,,thats a start ,,the battery is/was brand NEW

But after riding for 10-15 minutes,,the battery may not be charging thus the electrical power loss,,,thx regalman

ill check it out,,but is charging system ,,,not the one Im using now ???

Anything else GUYS / anybody ???

Search for Nobles thread (I'm sure its in the FAQ) on how to troubleshoot the charging system. The headlight will drain even a new battery in a short period of time.

above, +1.

Make sure the alternator's electric connections are plugged in first.

Im sorry but where is the alternator and its connections

I thought it was that black heat sync thing that next to carb ??

Eddie thats the next thing Ill check for starter and ground cables..

Can You PM your address

I will be sending the engine ASAP

,,there are other things I need you to check for me

thx

Took the bike apart yesterday,,,checking all the obvious :) cabling,, the battery was at 11.5 volts

I found a loose cable to the 12v plug in ,,it was not touching anything it was stuck between the battery and the casing for the battery,,I charged the battery,,,connected the 12v plugin cable and it started right up..... now the charging voltage was about 14.55

with the engine running... I rode like 20 minutes,,,checking the battery every 5 minutes,,I never lost power,,and ran great with jetting for the 470

Ill do more riding tomorrow,,

and Eddie Im trying to send the engine back on friday,,it has the gaSKET and permatex

copper stuff you told me to get