Sign in to follow this  

Ram 1500 + Rear Helper Springs?

Have a 2007 Ram Hemi with trailering package pulling a 6x12 enclosed with my bike and 2 kids bikes (65's). Bought my wife an atv and will put it in the pickup bed (to keep our bikes safe and dry!).

Truck ran low in the back with the atv in it and I think I need to add helper springs.

Anyone use helper springs on the Dodge Ram? Do I need 500lb or 1000lb?

Do they bolt right up or do I have to take apart the spring axle plate?

Where can I get helper springs cheap - who makes the best?

Thanks for info.

the airbags I've seen on the 5ton dodges they are close to the rear tires I so I went to the supersprings way easier to install.

IMHO,Timbren airsprings from truckspring.com are the choice...$175 a pair, w/free shipping. No messing with air lines...super easy to install. I have them front and rear on my Ram2500

http://www.truckspring.com/ best prices I could find for airbags or helper springs. I am going with bags on my chevy so I can adjust as needed and keep the soft ride when empty.

Air bags are the way to go. You won't sacrifice your normal smooth ride when not needing them.

The Helwig set should leave lots of tire clearance and be easy on the frame since they go in place of the bump stops and become the new bump stops.

This is the brand I am going to use on my truck but I don't a Dodge. Good luck.

and you might need to double check your tongue and trailer weights to determine if you really need a properly installed, weight distribution hitch .... I also have a hemi ram 1500 and it doesn't even notice a "normal" utility trailer, such as a wells cargo or similar

why are the airbags a better option? The link you attached was for a 2009. My 2007 needs the $264.00 airbags. The helper springs are cheaper and look easier to install.

http://www.suspensionconnection.com/cgi-bin/suscon/982-dodge-ram.html

Here's the plus's of airbags-when empty, just drop the pressure and you will retain the stock ride characteristics (unless you like getting jarred around on the way to work).

When loaded, regardless of load, you have infinite adjustability to change the "spring's" capacity to match the load weight.

With add-a-leafs, helpers, Timbren's, etc, you have one setting only, not adjustable at all.

+1. Go with the airbags. You'll be much happier in the long run.

I installed the superspring and I believe they made my 5ton ram ride better than stock since I thought they are sprung to soft from the factory.