Sign in to follow this  

moto specific gloves vs mechanics gloves

whats the big difference? is there one? ive never used used moto specific gloves (just started riding) but ive used all kinds of mechanics gloves over the years and i just wanted to know if there was a difference. oh not really on the gloves topic but does anyone have the 09 shift recon gear? im looking at getting it and want to know what you guys think of it. thanks in advance

I'd say looks, but they may not have as much padding in the palm area.

I have multiple pairs of both. The moto gloves have a lot more padding than the basic mechanics gloves. The moto gloves fingers are also pre bent in a little bit.

i have the 09 recon gear and like it so far only got to ride with it once this year to cold right now for me over the boot pant feels better and they zip off into shorts no pads like the mx style pants though and i wear a biking short under to add a lil protection on my junk

I like riding gloves much better, pre curved fingers and stuff and they fit me a lot better.

The main difference is the material used on the "fourchettes", which is the panels on the sides of the fingers. On moto gloves these panels are a stretch fabric, usually lycra. Because it is softer and stretches, it makes bending the fingers more easy.

Mechanics gloves typically use the palm material for the fourchettes. This material is called "Clarino" or "Chamude". It is more durable and better for heat, abrasion, etc. but does not stretch. So, it is better for handling tools, metal, etc. but does not flex as well.

Generally mechanics gloves also have a small patch of this on the top of the fingertips. Without this the tips would wear up quickly for mechanics work, but with it, the seams at the tips of the fingers are a lot more bulky. Generally moto gloves are lighter and more flexible.

BP

When I ride I use Mechanix Wear M-Pact gloves. Better than any moto glove I've used, and the palms are great!

MEX-M-PACT.jpg

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned ventilation... The sides of the fingers are what I was thinking of, good call that they're stretchy and that material is also super ventilated. Not to mention they have the same rubber on top to protect against rocks, and the grippers on the fingertips for your levers is actually really nice.

I really like the Mechanix M-Pac gloves. I prefer just a layer of synthetic leather or whatever with no padding on the palm. The lycra "fourchette" material NV AVD mentioned tears out in just a few rides for me.

I wear those same M-Pact gloves and like them a lot.

I have multiple pairs of both. The moto gloves have a lot more padding than the basic mechanics gloves. The moto gloves fingers are also pre bent in a little bit.

moto gloves also have palm padding, and usually some sort of knuckle protection (carbon fiber cups or thick padding). Mech's gloves are typically a uniform thickness with no padding.

I started wearing mechanix gloves a few years ago after years of wearing moto gloves. The palms on the mechanix gloves are one piece (no extra padding in areas of the palm) which I find to be much easier on my hands. I don't get any blisters with the mechanix gloves and they just feel better than any moto glove I've ever tried. The only problem is that the palms will stretch in time.

I would LOVE to find gloves that would last a season. I can't believe the poor quality of all the Chinese made gloves now. :)

Even the M-Pacts don't stand up all that well.

Two rides ago, I somehow lost my Thor AC gloves, but I didn't discover it until I was getting ready for my last ride. I didn't have time to get another set, so I bought a pair of the Mechanix M-pacts to use. Though better than nothing, they certainly were not better than the Thor gloves that I ride with. They were bulky, didn't conform to my hands well, provided less "feel" for the controls, didn't grip the levers as well, and were very hot.

I have another set of ACs ordered...

wow thanks for all the replies guys, i almost gave up on this thread. haha. 125shifter ive never really liked those knit gloves with the nitril hands, they just never really hit home with me i guess. and i honestly never really use mechanics gloves unless i have to (damn cold colorado and utah winters while working on cars) i only wear those purple or blue nitril "doctors" gloves when i do work with 80w90 or something. anyway back on topic, so it looks to me like the mechanics gloves are what most guys run with for general weather riding, but moto specific gloves during extreme heat? correct. or we could all wear leather gardening gloves like scott murray. lol.

I ride with a pair of snap on mechanics gloves and a pair of CP mechanics gloves :)

I would LOVE to find gloves that would last a season. I can't believe the poor quality of all the Chinese made gloves now. :)

Even the M-Pacts don't stand up all that well.

Shoot, my Thor Phase gloves have been great for the last 3 1/2 years. I only bought my new fox dirtpaws because the thors were FADING!