Sign in to follow this  

Stock seat not so bad?

I got my 04 S in Aug. 05. One of the first things I had to do was modify the seat for more comfort. I made the seating more comfortable for me by adding a wider seat pan to the stock seat pan, added some super high density foam and then recovered it. What a difference in comfort!

Last November, my S was replaced with a 07 SM. The SM's seat was replaced with the seat I made, and the new seat went into storage. My old seat worked great and lasted until this winter when the seat cover became so brittle due to the frigid cold and old age that when I sat on it, it cracked and split. Once the weather warmed up a bit above freezing, it wasn't long until the seat foam started soaking up water and was making the seat of my pants wet. In the meantime I pulled the blue seat cover off of the new seat and replaced it with a stock yellow and black one that I bought off of e-bay, IMHO it looks much better than the blue cover.

So now I'm back on a stock seat and I am genuinely amazed that it feels ok. I remember the pain the stocker caused after about 30 minutes in the saddle, that's what prompted me to fabricate a "better" seat in the first place. I doubt Suzuki made the foam softer or otherwise different in 07. I guess after 3½ years and 30K miles of daily commuting/riding, my “need” for a “better” seat is gone.

I wonder if the complaints about how bad the Z’s seat is are just "tells" about how soft our rear-ends are? :banghead:

I had read a few comments that the stocker isn’t so bad and that you just need some time to adjust, but I never believed it! :)

good chance the foam in the old seat was breaking down.

too soft of a seat is just as likely (if not more) to cause discomfort as too hard of a seat. at least that's what i've found.

that & maybe you did just get used to it - although for me discomfort always sets in after about an hour on the street.

I like the stock seat for about 30 miles. After that I gt of the bike, punch the seat 4 or 5 times while cursing, then get back on and go. Repeat every 10 miles after that.

How hard is it to modify the seat pan? Is the pan metal or plastic? I'm going to recover the seat, and was thinking I might be able to make the rear just a tad wider so when I'm crusing on the street I can slide on back, if I'm riding more than 45 minutes.

I dunno, I know the DRZ has a dirt-bike type seat, so I expect dirt-bike type levels of comfort. After a 50 miles in the woods or a 100 mile day of D/S riding I'm saddle sore, but I think that I would be no matter what seat I'm on.

It's not too bad in my opinion. I get monkey but after an hour or so, but I'm a fat ass

Took me about 600 miles to break my butt in to the new seat, whilst waiting for a replacement. So cancelled the replacement & the stock one is fine. I would NOT like to do lots of miles on it, but its fine for the riding I do, all road & usually less than 30minutes in s single go.

How hard is it to modify the seat pan? Is the pan metal or plastic? I'm going to recover the seat, and was thinking I might be able to make the rear just a tad wider so when I'm crusing on the street I can slide on back, if I'm riding more than 45 minutes.

The stock seat pan is plastic, I found a 12" wide metal seat pan from a exercise bicycle and with a minimun effort in cutting/shaping the metal pan, I was able to bolt it onto the plastic seat pan, add some foam and recover. I wanted something strong enough to go over the edge of the stock pan and not deform. The theory is more square inches to disperse the weight.

I am not sure if I am going to redo my old seat or not. If I do I'll post some pics through the various stages.

The only problem I had with the stock seat is the "cover." It was too slippery. I got tired of repositioning myself constantly.

My Z is 8 months old and I just hit 10,000 miles. I guess I have a tough butt cuz I don't mind the stock seat. I actually like the fact that it is slippery, I can slide forward to the tank for corners and then slide back for the straights.

I bought a Corbin cuz my stock seat killed me. I swear if I would have taken the vinyl cover off my stock seat, I would have found an old wood plank.

• Like 1

I got a Corbi too. Had them add an extra inch of foam. 3000 mi and its still slippery tho, get the gripper not the leather. Thinking of recovering mine with a gripper from Wheeling this summer.

Yeah that stocker was like a 2 x 4.

You have a KTM seat on your bike??? :)

I swear if I would have taken the vinyl cover off my stock seat, I would have found an old wood plank.