Sign in to follow this  

Help!! Which bike do I buy?

I want power wheelies. I want torque. I want to make moderate jumps. I want a headlight and possibly a plate eventually. I want to ride slow without overheating. I want to twist the throttle and feel serious power. Will these bikes do this?

wr450f, crf450x, or exc530. Please give some opinions.

Honda feels "Tankish" to me on trails yet feels good on dirt roads and faster more open areas.

Rode an older WR and wasnt impressed at all. The build quality struck me as hot garbage and the bike just wasnt very much fun. Then again it could have had jetting and suspension issues so??? This I do know though, that bike was 2 years old and looked straight hashed out. Blue plastic fading graphics falling off just looked like a beater and the guy who owned it wasnt even hard on it.

Any big bore KTM 4 stroke isnt gonna like riding slow without overheating unless you get the jetting correct and add a fan kit. The 450/530 EXC and XC-W models are the mellower flavour as they get an enduro specific SOHC motor with E-Start and a kick starter they also come off the showroom floor a bit softer in the suspension and the EXC is street legal off said showroom where as the XC-W is essentialy and EXC sans the street legal stuff. Its easily added later in the game if you want though.

The XC and SX models get the "Spicier" harder hitting lighter flywheeled DOHC motor and do not have a kickstarter. They also will have stiffer suspension and would need a few things to make them street legal as they may have a voltage regulator or a stator capable of powering lights and stuff.....This is a "May" as in the case of my 2008 300XC I purchased the Euro light kit which came with everything I needed to run lights and make er' street legal where the XC-W model didnt need the voltage regulator and was already wired for the light kit making it a bit more plug and play in comparision. I would assume the 4 stroke lineup is the same.

Funny you seem to be looking for something close to what I wanted. I wanted instant boost to pull the wheel up on demand. I wanted an escape from the constant heat battle with my big 4 stroke....I also wanted something light wieght that I could put in long days on the more extreme Colorado trails with minimal maintenance and overall ownership cost.

So I sold my badass 07' 525 Thumper and bought an 08' 300 2 stroke and then...Tagged that sumbeeyatch!

I still use a fan as well as 2cool oil and coolant as KTM's seem to run hot on the slow nastier Colorado trails....I miss my 525 as it had so much low end grunt. I do not miss the wieght or the slightly extra maintenance. I dont like adjusting valves or changing oil? The 300 gave me that open classer power at a very light wieght

Picture045.jpg

Not trying to sway you off your big bad thumper plan but there are.....Options in KTM-Ville? Most of the those options are pretty strong compared to our Red and Blue mounted brethen!

This is what I am looking for since my 450r is a maintanece nightmare. My son has started riding and I need something tha I putt around on to follow him. Not sure if I can plate a 300 in oregon tho

Get the 530,the other bikes you are considering don't even compare.The yammie is the slowest,most corked up bike you'll ever NOT want to ride and the honda is only moderately better.With minimal fussing, the 530exc can be made to run the same as the 530xcw.Even though all three bikes share similar weights, the KTM feels 20lbs lighter.The wife rides a crf450x and even she prefers to ride the 530.(she's getting the 2009 KTM450exc next month).Get the KTM and a JD jetting kit.You won't regret it.

WELL!! I ended up buying a kx250r. I love it. However I should have stuck to my original plan to buy or convert to a dual sport. I don't ride it enough. So I'm going to sell the kx and get a dual sport. But I want a dirtbike that happens to be street legal. HELP! I want power wheelies, moderate jumps, and ride trails and forest roads. I want low maintenance (if only the xr600 weighed 250lbs with modern suspension and brakes). Would a crf450x do the job with a baja kit or maybe a klx450r or do I go all out with the 530exc or a te510. I need help :thumbsup: !! Please give me some opinions.

crf450x isnt low maintnence... unless if you enjoy replacing and adjusting valves I wouldnt ever buy one.