Sign in to follow this  

Xr650l Icm

Great thank you! everything is testing as it should power through complete curcuit but i still have no spark? anyone have any idea's?

Double check the on/off switch. They are prone to corrosion and will not allow a spark, but the motor will turn over. Turn it off and on several times, if necessary dis-assemble, hit the contacts with emory cloth squirt some electrical grease and button it back up. Should work for a few years again, then repeat. DAMHIK, on my 3rd "L" and has happened to every one...

the bike is a 1993. It only has 3800 miles on. was crashed hard sometime withen the first couple years and left in a backyard till i found it. still has the stock no masterlink chain in perfect condition except for the rust. it will be a offroad only bike.

No easy way to test the ICM, I think.

What year XRL?

Dave

But the coil, pulse generator, and associated wiring is pretty easy to test. So I suppose by process of elimination the ICM is easy to test :)

the clutch switch!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! does this have to be pulled in to work???? if soo i cant pull mine in as i have a froze cable But im guessing this would be for starting it in gear?

the clutch switch!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! does this have to be pulled in to work???? if soo i cant pull mine in as i have a froze cable But im guessing this would be for starting it in gear?

Take both wires from the clutch switch and ground them both to bypass all the crank/run safeties.

Also, try pulling the ICM and getting rough with it. When they go bad often you can get them to work for a little while after beating on 'em.

Dave