Sign in to follow this  

14/42 gearing, how many chain links on a WR450?

I have some supermoto wheels for my 2004 WR450 and the gearing is 14/42.

How many links long should the chain be?

Cheers, Lennie.

I dont know, but I also have a plated WR450, with supermoto rims on the way. I am wanting to know how that gear choice works out for you. Keep me posted please. You could always order a long chain and cut it to fit your bike.

The gearing seem pretty good, the bike does just under 100mph on my gps and will easily cruise at 80mph without revving too high while still having a badass kick of power and it wheelies nice you can hold it on the back wheel right into top gear.

im also going sumo, i have all the parts in the shopping cart. but i also need to know what gearing /chain im going to need. Im leaning toward to 14/42-44. how long is your chain lennie?

I just put mine together yesterday on my WR450, I bought the 120 link chain and cut off about 6 links. Go long and shorten to what you need. Now just to figure out how to keep the chain from rubbing the tire:foul:

ive been anticipating the chain rub, and searching for the answers. here is what i found so far.

1. you can get a chain block ( Graves Motorsports Supermoto Chain Block) but you have to drill and tap your swing arm, which im not happy about, i stumbled across a thread about someone here in the forums making one without tapping(do a search)

2. you can loosen all the spokes on the chain side 1/4 turn at a time and tighten the brake side spokes for the same amount, off setting the rim a little. ive read that it does not affect the bike driving in a strait line. if the chain still rubs you can try another 1/4 turn untill you have the space you need.

3. you can add washers to the sprocket's to push it out a little giving you a little space. id have a machine shop make a small disc that bolts between the hub and rear sprocket. so the sprocket makes more contact to the spacer than a few washers. making it less likely that a sprocket bolt gives way and have a costly accident.

4. shave the tire a little

whatever way you choose, remember that the older the chain gets the more it will sway from side to side. and the more you have to compinsate. unfortunatly i think im going to try the chain block and tap the swing arm. but its all up in the air for me right now. Im going to build and see how much room i need first. good luck. thanks for the info on the chain. i didnt want to get a chain too short, or pay an extra 30 bucks for a longer chain just to cut it back. i guess i could have counted my current chain lenght. but im too lazy to drive to storage unit for that.

On my DR I ordered a 110 link chain and cut off a link - making it a 108 link chain, and it's right in the middle of my adjustment area.

ive been anticipating the chain rub, and searching for the answers. here is what i found so far.

1. you can get a chain block ( Graves Motorsports Supermoto Chain Block) but you have to drill and tap your swing arm, which im not happy about, i stumbled across a thread about someone here in the forums making one without tapping(do a search)

2. you can loosen all the spokes on the chain side 1/4 turn at a time and tighten the brake side spokes for the same amount, off setting the rim a little. ive read that it does not affect the bike driving in a strait line. if the chain still rubs you can try another 1/4 turn untill you have the space you need.

3. you can add washers to the sprocket's to push it out a little giving you a little space. id have a machine shop make a small disc that bolts between the hub and rear sprocket. so the sprocket makes more contact to the spacer than a few washers. making it less likely that a sprocket bolt gives way and have a costly accident.

4. shave the tire a little

whatever way you choose, remember that the older the chain gets the more it will sway from side to side. and the more you have to compinsate. unfortunatly i think im going to try the chain block and tap the swing arm. but its all up in the air for me right now. Im going to build and see how much room i need first. good luck. thanks for the info on the chain. i didnt want to get a chain too short, or pay an extra 30 bucks for a longer chain just to cut it back. i guess i could have counted my current chain lenght. but im too lazy to drive to storage unit for that.

I think I am going to try offsetting the rim. As I walked in the garage today I noticed that the rim does not look centered on the swing arm. Maybe they offset the wrong way at the factory? I dont know. The chain block is expensive and I am sure it wouldnt last long, good idea about having a machinist make a really big washer for the rear wheel but the whole idea of moving out the sprockets seems sketchy to me, and trim the tire down... I have found that half the people say do this and the other half says offset the rim. I like the idea of a permanent fix that I dont have to wonder about every time I feel like haulin ass!:excuseme: Thanks for the reply, gives me lots to thank about.

just buy a 150 series tire....160 will definately rub. try to keep up on chain tension, especially if your using a non-oring chain. i noticed with my non-oring chain that it wouldn't hit the tire but i had to keep adjusting it weekly. now with my oring chain i can go a month until it needs adjusting and it barely hits the tire as long as its within tension specifications

just buy the graves spacer, drilling and tapping the swingarm is easy, doesnt effect anything, and they last along time. i am on my third season with my 06 with a graves block. trimmin tires, adding spacers to the sprocket, is alot more work with alot higher probabilty of a failure, and that failure will be expensive. and when you really look at it, the expense for the graves block isnt that much more than sourcing your own spacers and it looks factory not cobbled.

a little chain rub on the tire is not a big deal but, you dont want the chain to come into contact with your wheel. that is the common problem with the 17" wheels on the hondas. our yamahas have alot better clearance. i have ran 170 series dunlop and michelin slicks on my yzf, with both spoke and mag wheels (up to 5" wide rims) with no tire or wheel contact using the graves block.

be forewarned, the graves block is made for the aluminum framed bike of 06 and newer units. it will fit the steel framed units but you will have to trim it to fit the angled swing arm. ski