Sign in to follow this  

Which vintage bike would you buy?

Well now that I am close to being finished with my YZ250 Restoration (it isn't "vintage", it's a `98) I have been deciding what to do with it. I mean, I keep it at my friend's house because I don't have room at mine, since I already have 1 bike in the apartment. That means I have to drive about 27 miles to go get it everytime I want to go riding. With my KLX, I can at least put it in the apartment when I am not there.

I always said I'd be hard pressed to pass up an offer for a straight trade for a 1982 RM250 in decent shape, so I got to thinking that maybe I'd trade it for a vintage bike. Problem is, other than the `82 RM250, I'm not sure which one I'd trade it for.

Any suggestions on a vintage bike to look for? I'm not even sure I'd want a dirt bike, to be honest.

What I remember from my younger days is that I loved my Yamaha Radian (bought new for $1999 in 1987)

The Nighthawk 700S in either blue/black or red/black were great bikes

The 1985 GPZ550 and 750s were fun as hell!

My brother had a 1981 XL500 that I thrashed while he was deployed, lol. it was a great bike

I "am" partial to the 82-83 Suzukis simply because I had the 250 and my step brother had the 465 and I used to ride his as much as mine (at 14yrs old and 135lbs, an RM465 is a frikkin MISSLE, and not necessarily a guided one!)

The Hondas of that time (the CR250 and CR480) are also awesome bikes (the CR450 is a different story)

The Yamaha YZ465 was a good bike, but I'd rather kiss Rosie O'Donnell on the lips than own a YZ490

I'm not too familiar with the KXs of that time (other than the KX80) so I dunno much at all about the KX420 and 250

A little further back to the mid 70s, I remember the Kawasaki 175s and the Suzuki TS's (125 and 250) and they would be a fun bike to ride

What would you look for if the significant other said you could go get yourself a nice vintage bike?

i loved the XL 500's what a top machine in the day virtually indestructible.

A mate over here just did an RG 500 4cylder 2 stroke roady , i'm a suzuki fan, but at the same time anything old school id run with, it's much harder to source parts down here though :)

i got 2 honda Z 50's waiting for the right parts at the right price.

RG500 Gamma? :):banghead:

Tell your friend, I hate him :banghead:

The RGs were awesome bikes

The RD250 and 350s rock!

Any of those would be cool as heck to own!

Put an ad out on craigslist and see what you get for replies. Someone might have that unique bike you are looking for, sounds like a decent trade to me.

You can't win if you don't play.

Man, your field is wide open! You're ranging from mid-70s dirt bikes to early 80s streetbikes! You gotta narrow it down for us!

What CLASS of bike do you want, then we can give recco's. :)

Go to your local craigslist motorcycle section, and search one year at a time: 1983, 1982, 1981 etc. and it pulls up all the bikes with that criteria. Knock yerself out!

What a nice situation to be in, though!

:banghead:

Any suggestions on a vintage bike to look for? I'm not even sure I'd want a dirt bike, to be honest.

The Nighthawk 700S in either blue/black or red/black were great bikes

The 1985 GPZ550 and 750s were fun as hell!

And they still are.

I saw an 85 or 87 GPz750 for $300, needed some work, but the hard to get stuff was all there. I'm not kicking myself for not getting it, but if I had $300 to spare that day, it would have been in my driveway if I had to push it home.

Call me partial, I have an 82 550 with an 85 ZX550 (GPZ) engine and guts in it. Blast to ride, 99% reliable as a daily driver important parts are easy to get but if I ever wreck it, it's done. You can't find the body panels and the ones that are close enough just don't cut it.

What would you look for if the significant other said you could go get yourself a nice vintage bike?

The Nighthawk 250s are nice for a small bike. Big bikes? hmm... Katana as long as nobody has thrashed it, which is rare for Katanas.

For some reason, I've been itching for a mostly restored KE175, I like the way they look.

I love the TT500s from the late 70s, something about chrome on the gas tank, or maybe it's reflective silver paint, but I like 'em.

If you have a price range in mind (assuming you offer it for a trade) go to http://www.brewyou.com/clnotify sign up for an account, enter a search agent with the local craigslist->motorcycles and set your minimum and maximum price. When it sends ads your way, see if any of them want a trade.

Put an ad out on craigslist and see what you get for replies. Someone might have that unique bike you are looking for, sounds like a decent trade to me.

You can't win if you don't play.

That's a real good suggestion.

I put my GPz up for a trade for 2 250s plus cash (so my gf could get a bike), got lots of interesting offers, none however that suited my fancy.

Instead I got her a KE100 which worked out well.

And they still are.

I saw an 85 or 87 GPz750 for $300, needed some work, but the hard to get stuff was all there. I'm not kicking myself for not getting it, but if I had $300 to spare that day, it would have been in my driveway if I had to push it home.

Call me partial, I have an 82 550 with an 85 ZX550 (GPZ) engine and guts in it. Blast to ride, 99% reliable as a daily driver important parts are easy to get but if I ever wreck it, it's done. You can't find the body panels and the ones that are close enough just don't cut it.

The Nighthawk 250s are nice for a small bike. Big bikes? hmm... Katana as long as nobody has thrashed it, which is rare for Katanas.

For some reason, I've been itching for a mostly restored KE175, I like the way they look.

I love the TT500s from the late 70s, something about chrome on the gas tank, or maybe it's reflective silver paint, but I like 'em.

If you have a price range in mind (assuming you offer it for a trade) go to http://www.brewyou.com/clnotify sign up for an account, enter a search agent with the local craigslist->motorcycles and set your minimum and maximum price. When it sends ads your way, see if any of them want a trade.

That's a real good suggestion.

I put my GPz up for a trade for 2 250s plus cash (so my gf could get a bike), got lots of interesting offers, none however that suited my fancy.

Instead I got her a KE100 which worked out well.

My friend Kenny had a 81-ish? KE100. He had a blast on that thing. He did pretty good keeping up with us on our KX80s :)

Man, your field is wide open! You're ranging from mid-70s dirt bikes to early 80s streetbikes! You gotta narrow it down for us!

What CLASS of bike do you want, then we can give recco's. :)

Go to your local craigslist motorcycle section, and search one year at a time: 1983, 1982, 1981 etc. and it pulls up all the bikes with that criteria. Knock yerself out!

What a nice situation to be in, though!

:banghead:

Dude, that's just it. I am completely wide open on what I'd like. The only Trump Card that could possibly sway me is an offer for an `82 RM250 or 465.

Other than that, I am open to just about any bike that isn't a UJM thing. (Universal Japanese Motorcycle - A term used to describe the generic looking bikes oif the early 80s, for those who do not remember or weren't born at the time, lol)

I thought the UMJs were from the 60s, cause every motorcycle that wasn't an American make looked the same then. They may have been on to something, since there's only one mass produced American bike around now.

My friend Kenny had a 81-ish? KE100. He had a blast on that thing. He did pretty good keeping up with us on our KX80s :)
It does very well in trails considering it's dual shock, no suspension travel, narrow short tires, etc. etc. in trails. It's like a perfect symphony of imperfection, somehow it all works together really well, even though every component on it sucks individually.

On the street... it goes, but it doesn't get there fast and IMHO cornering is nerve racking. But I'm also used to a crotch rocket on the street, so maybe I'm being too harsh.

I thought the UMJs were from the 60s, cause every motorcycle that wasn't an American make looked the same then. They may have been on to something, since there's only one mass produced American bike around now.

Naah, it was coined to describe the late 70s / early 80s air-cooled, in-line four-cylinder Japanese motorcycle. All four makers had 'em in just about every displacement category: 550, 650, 750, 900, 1000, 1100.

In the larger displacement categories, a few odd exceptions were Yamaha's triples, the Honda & Kawasaki 6's and the Gold Wing.

I grew up in the 80's with the XR's and the Nighthawks. I rebuilt an old SL100 which was my first bike.

Recently I've picked up an 1971 SL175 and a 1971 SL350. Now I'm not saying these are the best bikes in the history of bikes, but when you look back at what the Honda XL/XR's did for trail riding, you can't forget that it all started with the SL350.

Classic bikes with a ton of respect and admiration for what they did to advance the sport.

While I'd never straight trade for it, I would love to have a Kawi AR-80, the mini GPz or a GPz 750 turbo. Why? Cause turbo bikes are really freakin' cool, even if they may not be the best choice for street riding.

I also missed out on a ZX-10 for $800 last year. Never would ride the thing, but I'd turn it over and sell it again, sounded to me like a carb cleaning and a new battery were all it needed.

Yamaha Vision and Seca II are also on the "I'd own it" list.

There was a brand that Harley sold in the 60 or 70s and recently re-aquired, Amerioca or something like that. I'd get that just to shut up one of my buddies who keeps saying "you gotta get a Harley". For some reason, he declines my offer to take his 1200 HD and my 550 to a track, any track of his choosing, road course, drag, mini-go-kart - doesn't matter for a end-all be-all ruler of the world match between the brands. I think he knows it's because his bike won't corner, doesn't accelerate and has a lower top speed than mine, despite having more than double the displacement and greater horsepower output?

Now, the AR-80 really WOULD be cool, although I like the looks of the Honda MB-5 it competed with, better.

AR-80 only came here one or two years, MB-5 only came here one year - 1982.

BUT, there's a whole aftermarket available for the MB-5! Big bore kits, big carbs, expansion chambers, high-comp pistons and heads. What a cool little screamer that'd be!

I totally left out the RZ350s but they are priced out of my range right now, lol.

There was a brand that Harley sold in the 60 or 70s and recently re-aquired, Amerioca or something like that. ...

Would that be Aermacchi?

aermacchi-250-ala-verde-1970.jpg

Would that be Aermacchi?

My dad had a 350 Sprint when I was a kid...Cool bike.

Kelly

The Radian, man I miss my radian(1990 bought new)metallic black, added the optional sport fairing and case savers, it was a very nice all around bike!

Today for my main ride, I ride a 2006 DRZ400s, my dual sport vintage is a Yamaha RT1 360, and my recently aquired streetbike(vintage?) is a 78 XS650. I recommend the XS because of the avaliability of parts and forums. Type in Yamaha XS650 in a search and you can look at hundreds maybe thousands of pictures, everything from stock to bobber, cafe, choppers and ?. There is also a website that offers parts for just this bike, check it out!

http://www.mikesxs.net/

Now, the AR-80 really WOULD be cool, although I like the looks of the Honda MB-5 it competed with, better.

AR-80 only came here one or two years, MB-5 only came here one year - 1982.

BUT, there's a whole aftermarket available for the MB-5! Big bore kits, big carbs, expansion chambers, high-comp pistons and heads. What a cool little screamer that'd be!

I never heard of the MB-5, but I like the NS-1 (another Honda one year wonder, IIRC, maybe 2 years) as well. After looking at the MB-5, the aftermarket support is really cool, the bike just isn't my style.
Would that be Aermacchi?

That's the one.

What about the unknowns, like Maico or Haduka? The Maicos were killer bikes, and I like lesser-known, because you get two types of people who ask you about them.

The first type say "hey, what is that? I've never seen it before, is it new?", which is neat.

The second type are the ones that walk up to you and say "is your GPz an 82 or 83? 550?" (I respond) they they say "I had one of those, man what a great machine, I wish I never would have sold it". Plus I like red. And the 1980-83 GPz came in every color you could want, as long as it's red.