Sign in to follow this  

Continental Conti Force SM

I'm planning to ditch the crappy Dunlops soon and have been looking around for a set of tyres suitable for the SM. I will be using the bike on road only and have read a few good reviews on the Continental Conti Force SM tyres.

I'm curious if anyone that has tried them or currently uses the Contis and if you can provide an opinion about the tyres.

TIA

If you want to know do a search for the Conti Force tire. They along with the pilot powers seem to be the favorites for SM street use and there have been lots of posts on both tires. I've used both and like the Contis better on my DRZ. On another bike I have, I like the Pilots better.

Tony

If you're not going off road, why the SM tires.

I have Diablo Corsa Pro's on mine and it's amazing on the road.

If you're not going off road, why the SM tires.

I have Diablo Corsa Pro's on mine and it's amazing on the road.

Regular sport tires are meant to warm up under the power and weight of a sport bike, you know, 120hp, 400lbs....

SM tires are meant to warm up faster under less stress due to SM bikes having considerably less hp and weight. Theyre also stickier.

There's very little dirt worthy tread on a conti force SM anyways :)

Maybe a distanzia...

MMMM I love the Conti Road Attack. I ride all year long and they rarely slipped even pulling out of the driveway on my superhawk in the morning at a temp of zero degrees fahrenheit

MMMM I love the Conti Road Attack. I ride all year long and they rarely slipped even pulling out of the driveway on my superhawk in the morning at a temp of zero degrees fahrenheit

Keep in mind that a Superchicken is quite a bit heavier than the DRZ. I bought my DRZ used with road attacks on it, and they were not terribly sticky, to say the least. I'm sure the Conti SM tires are much better, as they have a thinner carcass for the lighter weight application, and a softer compound so that they'll heat up better without the extra friction from a heavier, more powerful bike. That said, I replaced my conti road attacks with a Maxxis rain tire (soft race compound) front and a Bridgestone BT-016 on the rear. I have only put about 100 miles on them so far, but it is clear that they are MUCH better than the conti roads. The one good thing I'll say about the conti road attacks is that they would likely last 6k+ miles. I would rather have traction and replace my tires at 2-3k, though.

On the 400SM I just purchased the PO replaced the rear stock rubber with a conti SM. From all the information I have gathered here these seem to be the tire to go with for a street tard so I am about to get one for the front. I can't seem to find a good deal online for these tires. They seem to be about the same price everywhere.

For everyone that posted up to go with the SM tire, where did you purcahse yours?

Try either americanmototire.com or tiresunlimited.com

American was the best I could find when I was shopping.:)

I've just swapped mine for GPR Alpha 10s, h rated, £164 the pair. Not had chance to try them yet though :)

i just put a set of Contiforce tires on my SM. i really like them. they are affordable and i like the way they feel much better than the stock dunlops. i'm down to les than a 1/4" of chicken strip on my tires now and i had well over 1/2 inch on the dunlops running the same sizes. Try them, you won't be sorry!

On the 400SM I just purchased the PO replaced the rear stock rubber with a conti SM. From all the information I have gathered here these seem to be the tire to go with for a street tard so I am about to get one for the front. I can't seem to find a good deal online for these tires. They seem to be about the same price everywhere.

For everyone that posted up to go with the SM tire, where did you purcahse yours?

$106 plus a $3 shipping insurance fee

Got 'em on mine. Just not that impressed with the front, no problems with the rear. May just be me but the front just doesn't have good feedback. Got a set of Metzler M3's ready to spoon on.

I know everyone's opinion is different but I love the ContiForce SM tires. I'm about to order my 2nd set at americanmototire.com. I push the tires pretty hard and have broke the front loose a few times but I think the feedback is great. I only use the tires in the twisty canyon roads but they work almost flawless. I heat them up pretty good and they turn blue on the edges but after riding with them for a few thousand miles, I believe they are the best tire for the money and performance doesn't fade as the tire wears out. I was going to check out the pilot powers, but I love the Conti so much after getting used to the way it performs, that I'm more than happy with these.

i hear ya. Ihad the power pilots and hated them. loved the road attacks. Go figure

Just put mine on two days ago and put 400 miles on it. Did the rear tire only in 150 size, looking at it now I'm pretty sure I could have fit a 160 on it. Either way, the tire feels awesome and warms up quick. Not real wobbly in wheelies like my old Dunlop was.

What pressure do you run on the conti sm?

got them on mine and the stickers that were on them when bought said

29psi front min'

30psi rear min'

Thanks Matt

The DRZ SM manual says 25 psi rear and 19 psi front. Sounds a biy low according to that spec on the tyre. :)